iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar oil under saw after a few months of storage

Started by Haggis, January 15, 2016, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis

Hi Everyone,

Last February I bought a new Husky 455 and used it a little last summer. I put it away in October and left the bar oil in it. Yesterday I pulled out the saw and noticed it was sitting in a fair amount of bar oil. I checked the oil filler cap and it isn't leaking from there. My question is is this normal or do you suspect I have a leak somewhere? I stored the saw so it was sitting upright so the filler caps are on the side.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Jhenderson

Most saws will leak a little fuel and bar oil. Some more than others.

Haggis

beenthere

I've found that putting in cold bar oil and then bringing the saw in to a warm building will build just enough pressure to push out some oil.
I make a habit of releasing that pressure by opening the fill cap (can hear it pfftt) as well as leaving the saw rest on its side. Solved any leakage of oil problems.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Haggis

Quote from: beenthere on January 15, 2016, 09:51:32 AM
I've found that putting in cold bar oil and then bringing the saw in to a warm building will build just enough pressure to push out some oil.
I make a habit of releasing that pressure by opening the fill cap (can hear it pfftt) as well as leaving the saw rest on its side. Solved any leakage of oil problems.

I will try that....thanks!

Gearbox

I just had a 044 that always leaked . So what the heck I put kerosene and ATF in it and ran it till it was red in front of the saw in the snow . No more leak .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

gfadvm

I don't think I have ever owned a saw that didn't leak bar oil. Upright or on their sides seemed to make no difference. Some leak worse than others. My old 510SP Jonserad is the worst offender.

colin.p

My 6 month old 455 R leaks like a sieve. From what I've heard, it's somewhat normal for those saws to leak. I have found that if I don't open the filler cap to relieve pressure, it leaks a lot worse.
Colin
Jotul F3CB, ICC Excel chimney and ULTRABlack double wall stove pipe
Poulan 4218, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Fiskars X27, ISOCORE #8

CTYank

My 455r leaked b&c oil unless the tank was dry. If that'd be a problem I emptied that tank and ran it dry when done. No mo oil leaks. Bud who bought that 455 learned from my experience.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!