iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magnolia Tree

Started by T A Derrickson, September 25, 2014, 12:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T A Derrickson

This Magnolia tree appears to me to have some sort of blight or fungus on it.  It is a mature tree, but looks very sickly.  About 20% of the limbs are dead.  Any thoughts?  Treatments?  Is it possible to save the tree?

Thanks!

Stihl MS880 & MS190 T  Husqvarna 339XP & 262XP  PantherPro 2 chainsaw mill    Lucas Mill model 8/30

beenthere

The splotches on the bark appear to be lichen. Doubt it has much to do with the dead branches.
But here is an article that addresses lichen.
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100128/ARTICLES/100129660

Look for any signs of leaves that are being eaten, as well as look at the ground around the tree where the growing roots are at and see if you detect any reason that the roots are having a struggle due to encroachment of their footprint.
Sidewalks, pathways, excess runoff, or also lack of water, may contribute.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

I agree with beenthere.  The lichens are normal and harmless.  Something else is killing the limbs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!