iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thee Homestead Life & build

Started by Sedgehammer, June 07, 2020, 02:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Howes has worked for me.  best to use year round, but do not be without something for luberosity, and anti gel in the winter.  is the opti-lube, also anti gel?  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 08:22:16 AM
Howes has worked for me.  best to use year round, but do not be without something for luberosity, and anti gel in the winter.  is the opti-lube, also anti gel?  
We used Howes for years in the dump trucks. Agreed on year round.

Yes the opi-lube xpd is anti gel down to -10°F and has the highest lubricity of any of the additives. They also make one down to -40°F Plus it increased the mileage the most in the testing. I wasn't aware of it when we had the dump trucks or I woodv'e ran it.
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sedgehammer

I just ordered it. I was going to order it when I got the truck, but there was a problem with the ordering and I emailed them, never heard back and I forgot about it.

aigheadish

Thanks for the info guys! Uh... Luberosity? What is that and why should I not be without? I spend a fair amount of time reading through heavy equipment forums and must've missed it... And it's fuel system luberosity?

On a boozy side note... So far so good. I've found that while I do enjoy a beer or two after work and often a bourbon after the family goes to sleep, I don't HAVE to have it. We do have some (and some not) diagnosed alcoholism in the family, so I keep that in mind and in check.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

everything in moderation.  if it interferes with work or family, it requires consideration.  If you enjoy it, and can avoid it when needed for work and such ok.  most psychiatric dx, include a statement of interfering with a person life and happiness.  some feel that a single drop is too much.  the classic alcoholic is surround by other alcoholics, and or family and friends that ignore and do not mention the "elephant in the room".  be safe.  If I have more than a beer or two, I do not drive.  with my work I have to be ready to go in if needed.  I would hate to have to say, sorry, I have had too much to drink. Docs can go in if needed with a say a beer with a meal.  but it does not bode well if a patient or co-worker smells it, even if you are not impaired.  with all the alcohol sanitizers, I am not sure I could tell the difference.  Out in Hays, an old Volga German settlement, they served beer, wine, and drinks at our medical staff meetings.  i was always so busy, I would pass as I still had patients to see.  On the weekends, the pharmacy would sub 2 Busch light beers for a sedative.  had to look for my patients on rounds as they might be in another patients room, watching the game.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

I looked into lubricity and it sounds like I'll be picking up some Opti-Lube! Thanks for the tip!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Sedgehammer

Quote from: aigheadish on February 12, 2021, 10:58:02 AM
I looked into lubricity and it sounds like I'll be picking up some Opti-Lube! Thanks for the tip!
The older diesel formulations it wasn't an issue. It's the newer ones that have removed the lubricating effects of diesel to a much lower amount. so low it can ruin fuel systems rather quickly.  

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 09:35:25 AM
everything in moderation.  if it interferes with work or family, it requires consideration.  If you enjoy it, and can avoid it when needed for work and such ok.  most psychiatric dx, include a statement of interfering with a person life and happiness.  some feel that a single drop is too much.  the classic alcoholic is surround by other alcoholics, and or family and friends that ignore and do not mention the "elephant in the room".  be safe.  If I have more than a beer or two, I do not drive.  with my work I have to be ready to go in if needed.  I would hate to have to say, sorry, I have had too much to drink. Docs can go in if needed with a say a beer with a meal.  but it does not bode well if a patient or co-worker smells it, even if you are not impaired.  with all the alcohol sanitizers, I am not sure I could tell the difference.  Out in Hays, an old Volga German settlement, they served beer, wine, and drinks at our medical staff meetings.  i was always so busy, I would pass as I still had patients to see.  On the weekends, the pharmacy would sub 2 Busch light beers for a sedative.  had to look for my patients on rounds as they might be in another patients room, watching the game.   :)
Awesome points doc!

Sedgehammer

this is what's causing my consternation...... smiley_crying smiley_crying

I think.... Power in, no power out

doc henderson

is that a resettable breaker?  or is it a relay.  I did not install my system so do not know all the fine details.  I assume you turned the key to call for fuel.  mine starts pumping with the key on, while I let the glow plugs do there thing.  mine is outside, so gets plugged in for heat.  I just cannot quite read the print.  

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 12:39:20 PM
is that a resettable breaker?  or is it a relay.  I did not install my system so do not know all the fine details.  I assume you turned the key to call for fuel.  mine starts pumping with the key on, while I let the glow plugs do there thing.  mine is outside, so gets plugged in for heat.  I just cannot quite read the print.  
It's a relay. O'Reilly's has their own brand that matches up.
Yup, powered with key on only. I'm ordering 2 with a green light for its working. I'll switch them out when I get them. Keep in glove box.

doc henderson

I am sure you know this, but contact cleaner followed by dielectric grease may help as well.  good job!

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 12, 2021, 01:40:45 PM
I am sure you know this, but contact cleaner followed by dielectric grease may help as well.  good job!
Yup. I tested, I think. I used my southwire tester. Not the best with it, but I think I did it properly. 
Thanks though

Sedgehammer

I had to heat up the milkers vacuum tank. Oil was too thick.  It was 10°.......

I was going to let the calf milk her through this rotten weather, but I'm worried her teats will get frost bite. That's not fun to deal with, so when it's below zero I'll be out milking........ say_what

This one was from the last snow we had

Sedgehammer

spidey-smiley2  well, that didn't work. O'reilly's said it wood work, but something isn't working....... I guess I'll have to order the actual one and then see.....

Nebraska

Raider Bill

That's quite a milking machine there! Never seen anything like it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Sedgehammer

@Nebraska Supposedly allegedly we're suppose to get 15" of the white stuff...... While kinda neat on the one hand, not so much on several other hands, as they talkin -10°F... Be 49° on the next Sunday though.... :o

You'll prolly get a pile also...... :o

@Raider Bill Thanks! works pretty good actually. Amazon. China of course. Couldn't really find an american made one. Pretty simple. 

Nebraska

Wow a little bit of winter for you guys, I have a college chum  down there that calls to rub it in when he's  fishing in shirt sleeves in early March and we struggle to get much above freezing.

Sedgehammer

Ok, update on the relay..... I did find a matching one. I plugged it in. It didn't work. I'm now thinking it's the lead that goes down to the pump. Fun.....

@Nebraska yeah, usually the winters here are very mild, but we usually get one pretty nasty cold spell. This year it's a cold one with snow and a fairly long one.

Sedgehammer

doc henderson

factory relays can be complex.  should be mainline power in, a signal lead, and power out when called for.  with the 5 wires, you may have ground wires for the in and out.  make sure you have power to the signal lead as well,  may be an inline fuse for those if it is after market.  my diesel guy put mine in the fuse box.  very frustrating.  did you get a schematic with the relay?

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 13, 2021, 09:34:20 AM
factory relays can be complex.  should be mainline power in, a signal lead, and power out when called for.  with the 5 wires, you may have ground wires for the in and out.  make sure you have power to the signal lead as well,  may be an inline fuse for those if it is after market.  my diesel guy put mine in the fuse box.  very frustrating.  did you get a schematic with the relay?
Agreed on relays
We matched them with the diagrams, so should be same
We have power in
I traced it back to the fuse box
Fuses are all good at the fuse box. There is a 10 & a 5 amp
We have power in at the lead from the power source with the 2 small sized fuses that are in the fuse box that gets powered when ignition is on
Problem solved!!.. 8)

Problem is there was no power from the 'ignitor'. That is another power source that was on one of the other lines from the lead that went to a 10 amp fuse to the battery. So there are 3 'red' possible power lines and 2 'green' grounds. Ground comes from pump all the way to the lead and then it's grounded through the 5 post lead to the ground on the battery.
The 5 post lead should have one full time power from the battery and then one from the ignition which then trips the relay and sends power down to the pump

doc henderson

so the low amp signal from the ignition had a blown fuse?  Yes?  sounds like you fixed it!   8) 8) 8)

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on February 13, 2021, 07:41:51 PM
so the low amp signal from the ignition had a blown fuse?  Yes?  sounds like you fixed it!   8) 8) 8)
No. It was the 10 amp fuse that came from the battery to the fuse holder, then to the 5 post lead. The tiny 5 amp & 10 amp fuse directly on the battery were fine. But yes, it's fixed. 

Thank You Sponsors!