The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Log prices  (Read 20676 times)

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
Re: Log prices
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2020, 05:17:22 PM »
hard maple is better than that $3 to $5 average on veneer 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
I was talking about the $2 average , I only have had 1 log below $3 so far. The walnut has been sap right so I'm not thinking much but I can always hope 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2020, 05:28:05 PM »
hard maple

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2020, 05:38:31 PM »
Thanks for the report , we were having trouble finding a few white oak trees for a bridge job and a 20 acre tract came up reasonable this week that had some white and chestnut on it, mostly red from what I saw as we snagged a few whites yesterday. Might build some timberframes with the reds unless the price is good. I have seen yellow poplar going down the road here the past month or so, it had been only white pine.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
Liking Walnut

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:57 PM »
This week's HMR shows hardwood lumber prices up for many species.  Red oak lumber is moving briskly and is in short supply.  China has come back into the market.  Cherry is moving up, hard maple, walnut, and white oak are moving up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »
 Just got the 3rd quarter stumpage report from the U of Ma. Prices on the stump have gone up considerably. W/oak went from $75. to $200. Cherry $50. to $175. Sugar maple $175. to $300. Yellow Birch $40. to $175. Black birch up $5. Lot of others from 5 to 45. Even Hemlock came back on board at $30. All prices MBF.
Ed K

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2020, 09:07:11 AM »
I think the free paychecks have spurred the upper class to invest in housing to park their money where it wont errode from printing press dilution.  Well, that and covid has mobilized the wealthy to escape population density.

friend of mine and his wife are both top middle class high earners and it took them a year of getting outbid when they were offering more than asking price already.  Half million to buy a house with a garage, 7 weeks ago.  

How else can you explain the housing market growing likes its the dotcom days when half the economy is in a forced covid closure?  Travel, hotel and restaurant biz are in the toilet, prices should be down on everything. Lumber has tripled yet every time im in lowes theres guys in line with full dolleys like its on sale in some sorta upside down world.  

If mayonaise tripled id stop buying it.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
We did not do well on the sappy walnut, $8 max.  One log thrown down into high end sawlog at $4, it was nearly 1/3 sapwood.  Walnut sawlogs went from $4 to $1.

Had a black oak butt go for $1400/mbf and that's a new high for us on black oak.  

White oak staying strong with veneer from $3-6.
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2020, 01:46:25 PM »
$8/bf isnt good wyatt?  Ive never hit $2/bf. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2020, 03:39:22 PM »
$8/bf isnt good wyatt?  Ive never hit $2/bf.
On walnut?  $2 is well...I'll send some pics of $2.  It is not much of a log.  
I've moved my pricing bar up and I do regret selling a few stands too soon in my education process.  I'll hope to get to $14 on one log this winter, I guess the tree will go for $10k...most of that will be in the butt.  Not a tall tree.

Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
Boy I sure wish I could buy standing timber for that price , Most of those prices times by 2 to 4 times is the going rate here

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2020, 08:38:31 PM »

No, ive never cut a walnut or even seen one that wasnt a yard tree yet.  $1800/mbf is best ive ever done, white oak stave. And for here thats great. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2020, 02:42:56 PM »
J

From $8 on the butt (23”) but a little Duffy, short and a touch of peck with wide sap; to firewood limbs at $1/bdft

Liking Walnut

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2020, 06:38:30 PM »
ya like most veneer buyers will tell you , right where I am is the best hard maple veneer that grows , the heart is a pencil dot and snow white in color. Biggest problem here is cause it was worth so much guys would go in and just cut the top veneer and leave, next is the sap suckers . They can ruin a tree in 1 spring
Extremely rare for here, any hard maple above 20" diameter is usually leaning 10 degrees and at least 1/3 in the middle is dark or rotten. Seen lots of hard maple 40"+, but no good for anything other than the grinder. Even DNR don't even run their volume tables above 18" diameters. Cruising timber is rare now though, pretty much all done from the air. Cousin just had his ground done that way (LIDAR) and cutting there this fall. Just Google "lidar tree volume", all kinds of papers on the internet.

I'm still an 'on the ground man' myself.  ;)
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2020, 07:20:08 PM »
$1000/mbf for firewood must be nice!  

Theres probably 10 mills within an hour radius of my house and its extremely rare to get $1/bf for anything that grows here.  

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2020, 05:59:48 AM »
For us in these parts, veneer red spruce, when there was a market here in the late 90's, only paid $1000 US/mbf. And nothing smaller than 14" top end, minimum 16'6" length, if I recall. We had some in the 3' to 4' breast height diameter range on an old town water reservoir lot. Towns now on wells with towers, so those woodlots have been cut since. Them logs went to a saw mill, and not at $1000. I think at the time, the veneer market was a bit on shaking ground. I do recall something like $500/mbf for the logs at the sawmill. Back then some mills paid $460 for the regular run of logs, so it was no premium. :D  The spruce veneer market has disappeared since. The sawmill is still here. But them logs went to their sawmill in Maine where they handle bigger spruce.

Last time I went looking for oak plywood, suppose to be the good stuff, it was expensive and a lot of voids. I have a desk here, that a pencil on paper could find them voids, the veneer will collapse over the void. And then they want the big dollars. Pass!!!

“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
I've never seen spruce veneer, neat.  I'd think that is the type of market that could come back but who knows.  Right now Russia is simply going to be swamping the market with wood and they can cut a lot of spruce, it will take them 80 years after they butcher it all.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »
$1000/mbf for firewood must be nice!  

Theres probably 10 mills within an hour radius of my house and its extremely rare to get $1/bf for anything that grows here.  
Go get some small walnut field trees, the 9 or 10" top curvy walnut limb was still worth $25.  Crazy world.  From those 3 or 4 trees we have 1/2 cord of limbs bucked, they'll sell for $800 or more.  Simply nuts for 7' limbs.  Anyway Mike just wanted you to see that it does not have to be remarkable stuff to sell if it is brown.   Also a caution to guys that throw that stuff on the firewood pile.  Sell it.  If I was you, ie mechanically capable, I'd do ok just taking walnut yard trees out and selling them.  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2020, 09:53:07 AM »
I think your proximity to DC is a very large pricing factor wyatt.  I can buy sawn 4/4 walnut planks for $15 each on FB.    

Just cruised the firewood market [its still warm here so hasnt really started yet] and guys are selling a nice rick for $40 picked up or $45 delivered local.  Imagine how much your world would change if you were surrounded by people willing to load, deliver and unload a face cord for $5.   Thats like 2 bucks an hour. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lumber Prices vs Softwood Prices.

Started by Kim_Ked on Forestry and Logging

25 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
by ehp
xx
Log Prices?

Started by Kirk_Allen on General Board

6 Replies
Last post December 24, 2003, 11:25:03 AM
by Buzz-sawyer