iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on November 13, 2020, 01:46:25 PM
$8/bf isnt good wyatt?  Ive never hit $2/bf.
On walnut?  $2 is well...I'll send some pics of $2.  It is not much of a log.  
I've moved my pricing bar up and I do regret selling a few stands too soon in my education process.  I'll hope to get to $14 on one log this winter, I guess the tree will go for $10k...most of that will be in the butt.  Not a tall tree.

Liking Walnut

ehp

Boy I sure wish I could buy standing timber for that price , Most of those prices times by 2 to 4 times is the going rate here

mike_belben

No, ive never cut a walnut or even seen one that wasnt a yard tree yet.  $1800/mbf is best ive ever done, white oak stave. And for here thats great. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

J

From $8 on the butt (23") but a little Duffy, short and a touch of peck with wide sap; to firewood limbs at $1/bdft

Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ehp on September 19, 2020, 09:08:16 PM
ya like most veneer buyers will tell you , right where I am is the best hard maple veneer that grows , the heart is a pencil dot and snow white in color. Biggest problem here is cause it was worth so much guys would go in and just cut the top veneer and leave, next is the sap suckers . They can ruin a tree in 1 spring
Extremely rare for here, any hard maple above 20" diameter is usually leaning 10 degrees and at least 1/3 in the middle is dark or rotten. Seen lots of hard maple 40"+, but no good for anything other than the grinder. Even DNR don't even run their volume tables above 18" diameters. Cruising timber is rare now though, pretty much all done from the air. Cousin just had his ground done that way (LIDAR) and cutting there this fall. Just Google "lidar tree volume", all kinds of papers on the internet.

I'm still an 'on the ground man' myself.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

$1000/mbf for firewood must be nice!  

Theres probably 10 mills within an hour radius of my house and its extremely rare to get $1/bf for anything that grows here.  
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

For us in these parts, veneer red spruce, when there was a market here in the late 90's, only paid $1000 US/mbf. And nothing smaller than 14" top end, minimum 16'6" length, if I recall. We had some in the 3' to 4' breast height diameter range on an old town water reservoir lot. Towns now on wells with towers, so those woodlots have been cut since. Them logs went to a saw mill, and not at $1000. I think at the time, the veneer market was a bit on shaking ground. I do recall something like $500/mbf for the logs at the sawmill. Back then some mills paid $460 for the regular run of logs, so it was no premium. :D  The spruce veneer market has disappeared since. The sawmill is still here. But them logs went to their sawmill in Maine where they handle bigger spruce.

Last time I went looking for oak plywood, suppose to be the good stuff, it was expensive and a lot of voids. I have a desk here, that a pencil on paper could find them voids, the veneer will collapse over the void. And then they want the big dollars. Pass!!!

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

I've never seen spruce veneer, neat.  I'd think that is the type of market that could come back but who knows.  Right now Russia is simply going to be swamping the market with wood and they can cut a lot of spruce, it will take them 80 years after they butcher it all.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on November 14, 2020, 07:20:08 PM
$1000/mbf for firewood must be nice!  

Theres probably 10 mills within an hour radius of my house and its extremely rare to get $1/bf for anything that grows here.  
Go get some small walnut field trees, the 9 or 10" top curvy walnut limb was still worth $25.  Crazy world.  From those 3 or 4 trees we have 1/2 cord of limbs bucked, they'll sell for $800 or more.  Simply nuts for 7' limbs.  Anyway Mike just wanted you to see that it does not have to be remarkable stuff to sell if it is brown.   Also a caution to guys that throw that stuff on the firewood pile.  Sell it.  If I was you, ie mechanically capable, I'd do ok just taking walnut yard trees out and selling them.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I think your proximity to DC is a very large pricing factor wyatt.  I can buy sawn 4/4 walnut planks for $15 each on FB.    

Just cruised the firewood market [its still warm here so hasnt really started yet] and guys are selling a nice rick for $40 picked up or $45 delivered local.  Imagine how much your world would change if you were surrounded by people willing to load, deliver and unload a face cord for $5.   Thats like 2 bucks an hour. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Firewood here is $300+ a cord. Every pickup load I bring home from the woodlot is a $100 bill in my pocket. More than $30/hr I figure. :D Brought one home this morning already, all split to.

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on November 15, 2020, 09:53:07 AM
I think your proximity to DC is a very large pricing factor wyatt.  I can buy sawn 4/4 walnut planks for $15 each on FB.    

Just cruised the firewood market [its still warm here so hasnt really started yet] and guys are selling a nice rick for $40 picked up or $45 delivered local.  Imagine how much your world would change if you were surrounded by people willing to load, deliver and unload a face cord for $5.   Thats like 2 bucks an hour.
These are shipped to Ohio 6 hour drive. :D
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

I guess those ohians got a hankerin for walnut then.  ;D
Praise The Lord

OH logger

john

ehp

Huge wind storm here. I guessing days before we get hydro power again . Lots of roads closed and hydro wires laying everywhere. 

stavebuyer

Quote from: mike_belben on November 15, 2020, 02:04:04 PM
I guess those ohians got a hankerin for walnut then.  ;D
Evidently not or they would to drive to TN and buy for pennies on the dollar.

Hogdaddy

Mike, where you live at in middle tennesse? I live ib south cental Ky, and walnut brings pretty good here, sold 9000 ft for a $3+ avg the other day, tree run.  They were good walnut, good size, with quite a bit of veneer in them.  Probablty could have got more, but needed to get them moved quickly.   
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on November 15, 2020, 05:19:08 PM
Huge wind storm here. I guessing days before we get hydro power again . Lots of roads closed and hydro wires laying everywhere.
How's it going now?  Cleanup moving along?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Quote from: Hogdaddy on November 16, 2020, 08:29:28 PM
Mike, where you live at in middle tennesse?   
Since i used my real name like a shmuck, i try to keep my location a little more private to not hand it over to identity thieves.  With my location you can pretty much get enough info to clone me.  I can hit kentucky in an hour or so.
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 11, 2020, 09:08:57 PM
This week's HMR shows hardwood lumber prices up for many species.  Red oak lumber is moving briskly and is in short supply.  China has come back into the market.  Cherry is moving up, hard maple, walnut, and white oak are moving up.
Cherry still on move? Fold or go all in? Got some decent stuff that will get bird peck soon if the last decade has taught me anything :o

@mike_belben the trick is to have no/bad credit or any money so if they steal your identity they are real sorry about it afterwards and try to give it back :D

WDH

Yes.  HMR shows cherry up another $30 per thousand this week. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mudfarmer

Quote from: WDH on November 19, 2020, 04:40:17 PM
Yes.  HMR shows cherry up another $30 per thousand this week.
Thank you for the quick response! I am small time and have not developed good markets, especially for good wood but there is a local buyer I will try to send a small load to.
NYS DEC stumpage report consistently shows all species in my area selling for literally half what it does in the rest of the state, so that's cool ::)

Hogdaddy

Any new news, besides lumber prices are too high and log prices are too low?
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

sawguy21

My buddy and his son are hauling long loads locally, mostly spruce and fir. It is hardly worth getting out of bed for what the mills are paying but payments are due on the 3 year old Pete and nobody wants it. The old KW is long paid for but still paying its way and she wants him out of the house. :D Yet prices at the lumber yard are insane but it is still moving, builders are being kept busy. Where is the money coming from?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

I dont know where it comes from or goes to.  Just that i dont have any of it!
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!