The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Log prices  (Read 20676 times)

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
Re: Log prices
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
The eastern seaboard is so developed with roads and freight lanes saturated with trucks and keeping the prices relatively low compared to running your own transport.  i think historically there has been no need to do the long logger setup outside of maybe specialized situations.  Our forests are half as tall as yours, so our logs are too.  A flat can run 60ft sticks on most interstates. Ive never seen a sawlog that long.

In loadboard freight 100 miles is basically saying im home.   Under 2hours from base id just deadhead back.
A long logger can be converted to a short logger with a rack that set into the bunks. If you want to do a short setup that still can get around running a fifth wheel hitch skip the hay rack they dont track. They make a turkey rack that has a king pin it uses a log trailer and reach so the trailer will track plus get around a lot better then a flat bed trailer setup.
Im sure it all works great but you cant buy what isnt for sale.  The east coast just doesnt have west coast iron to purchase.  Also doesnt have the giant wood to need it.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »
The eastern seaboard is so developed with roads and freight lanes saturated with trucks and keeping the prices relatively low compared to running your own transport.  i think historically there has been no need to do the long logger setup outside of maybe specialized situations.  Our forests are half as tall as yours, so our logs are too.  A flat can run 60ft sticks on most interstates. Ive never seen a sawlog that long.

In loadboard freight 100 miles is basically saying im home.   Under 2hours from base id just deadhead back.
A long logger can be converted to a short logger with a rack that set into the bunks. If you want to do a short setup that still can get around running a fifth wheel hitch skip the hay rack they dont track. They make a turkey rack that has a king pin it uses a log trailer and reach so the trailer will track plus get around a lot better then a flat bed trailer setup.
Im sure it all works great but you cant buy what isnt for sale.  The east coast just doesnt have west coast iron to purchase.  Also doesnt have the giant wood to need it.
I have had a couple loggers that used them for tree length pulp. Veneer logs are 9'/10' and doubles. 400-500 mile hauls. They either get backhauled on flat beds or they pass on the logs. Other than the occasional pine power pole going south to the gulf  coast all logs in the mid-south get sawed local, go north(great lakes) for veneer, or to a port for export. Like Mike said more than 100 miles you better are off finding a flat bed needing a backhaul. 

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2020, 08:30:23 PM »
1 mill for me is about 30 miles from me , the other maybe 5 miles right now , veneer can be pretty much up to half way around the world 

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »

Mike, here's a 68'-6" pine that will make a 12"x12" with no wane. Didn't go in a truck,  I just drove the skidder up the road.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
👆👆Braggart😁😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2020, 04:49:15 AM »
I've seen the Mennonites skid firewood 4 miles down pavement, no wheels under it. :D They do a lot of stuff after dark. Including fetching a mystery bale of hay from a field sitting within feet of the US border at 3:00 am in the morning. A field they don't own. ;)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Online barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2020, 10:19:17 AM »
That sort of stuff must make them much loved 😬
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
Theyre pretty good around here.  But theres always a contingent that likes to throw stones. 

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2020, 12:31:01 PM »
And I always herd Maine moose tastes better than Canadian moose.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »
There's a difference between fact and hearsay. :D

Brings to mind the neighbor making the comment "they say his syrup tastes like wood smoke", when it was not boiled down with wood and she never had any to taste. :D

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2020, 09:48:25 PM »
If you had ever seen the games played on the Maine / Quebec border during hunting season.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2020, 06:29:14 AM »
Not sure how many people sell white oak quartersaw logs but prices are up a bit, the whole quartersaw market looks to be recovering.  Chestnut oak is up to over $2.20/bdft for good 21" and up logs.  Push a bit and get $2.50 I guess.  @stavebuyer might know more, he's closer to the quartersaw market leaders like graff and taylor (whatever they are called today).  
Liking Walnut

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
What makes a log quartersaw specific say versus a good stave or rotary or slicer veneer?

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #233 on: December 31, 2020, 09:55:03 AM »
not really sure why but got $6/ft for that walnut with huge sap ring , thats pretty good for stuff like that 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #234 on: December 31, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
What makes a log quartersaw specific say versus a good stave or rotary or slicer veneer?
Diameter and grade mostly.  18" and up but it  can be a 1 or even no side clear log.  Big is best.  We sent some big 2 sided logs at 2.20, which is good for a 2 side clear log, even if it is 28" dbh.  Big red oak like that is $0.50/bdft.  
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #235 on: December 31, 2020, 12:46:25 PM »
not really sure why but got $6/ft for that walnut with huge sap ring , thats pretty good for stuff like that
wow, that is good.  Congrats!
Liking Walnut

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #236 on: December 31, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
Ya walnut seems to be red hot right now.  Some guts are paying crazy prices on standing walnut  right now . Almost done this job and got another small and I mean small job to do about 2 miles away but there is walnut in it so maybe good timing to cut it . Nothing very big . Stuff like 20 to 30 inch 

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #237 on: December 31, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
I've seen the Mennonites skid firewood 4 miles down pavement, no wheels under it.
"Oh, they would never do that." How much you wanna bet? :D :D :D
Down the pavement by the Royalton church on the Crawford Road. Tractor with Farmi.

Firewood yard a 200 yards from there.

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2021, 06:37:30 PM »
Big news here is that the veneer buyers are looking for quality chestnut oak butt logs, $2.5 here in northern VA on the landing.  More as you get closer to Ohio where I bet it is $3 or more now.  

White oak veneer continues to smolder along, we averaged $4.75 on our last load.  Walnut veneer is supposed to be smoking but I have only had good-crap saw logs, $5-1 ($1 is 9" firewood).  Going to find out in a few weeks.

YP veneer is indeed $1.20, $1 on our landing.  I hear $1.5 in Ohio.

YP sawlogs are starting at $0.70 on international and down to $0.350 for no side clear junk on international scale (which is something to think about because 12" limby no side clear YP stems are normally about impossible to move).
Liking Walnut

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #239 on: March 22, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
So I was chatting with the buyer who bought 40k standing walnut from us 2 years ago.  We did well,  no complains . He sold the best log as a 32 veneer triple log $19,620. 8).  $20/bdft 

I am glad he did well, we only sold 1/2 volume maybe cut some more in October.  Maybe sell some myself.  
Liking Walnut

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Lumber Prices vs Softwood Prices.

Started by Kim_Ked on Forestry and Logging

25 Replies
Last post October 15, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
by ehp
xx
Log Prices...

Started by ljohnsaw on Forestry and Logging

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2018, 01:06:29 AM
by SFires