iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

On crown land operations, hardwood sawlogs up here are usually run on a slasher. Trees cut and hauled tree length to a landing, buck off the but log and toss the top in the pulpwood pile. For veneer logs they are hand cut. I see hardwood on the road all week, most of it is pulpwood, but I see a few veneer logs, every stick will have some sort of mark on it. More than veneer are sawlog trucks and every stick on them loads have blue paint on the ends, just a mark. In the upper right log over the driver side will have a mark indicating wood off crown land.

The fine for steeling crown wood, with the intent of commercial gain is a min $10,000. I googled the news reports and saw one guy recently got a $12,000 fine for a load of wood and another guy got $8000 for eight pine logs and found out he had sold another 6 already to a mill.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

I chased down a log buyer passing by the pallet mill yesterday, poplar is his thing and has mills on the TN/KY border.  

His prime grade requires 16'6" by bare min 18inch DIB small end and perfect, 4SC.  $1100/mbf doyle.  

Its the highest price ive heard for poplar by someone with their name on the front of the check.

Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Sounds like good money. Got any to them specs? No supply, no money. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Maybe 1.  A passover sitting in a wet spot on a cutover.. Maybe biggest tree on the property. 

Farmer a few lots over has many like this, im gonna send him a pic of my notes when the sun comes up.

Praise The Lord

Peter Drouin

W Pine just jump to $400 a 1000
hemlock is at 280
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on December 01, 2021, 05:13:13 AM
I chased down a log buyer passing by the pallet mill yesterday, poplar is his thing and has mills on the TN/KY border.  

His prime grade requires 16'6" by bare min 18inch DIB small end and perfect, 4SC.  $1100/mbf doyle.  

Its the highest price ive heard for poplar by someone with their name on the front of the check.
That's a honest prices right there Mike.  Stuffing containers on the landing would not do any better.  With the larger diameter YP logs the doyle won't hit pricing too much.  
YP Veneer mills in midwest are at $1800-2000 for veneer but that's a hard spec to meet as it needs to be very white and no pin knots.  One or the other is usually the case.  
Overseas brokers are offering $1200 / mbf doyle for banded YP 3 side and up but you have to stuff and fumigate.  There is quite a bit of $ on that end of it.  
Was offered $1400 for 3 sided red oak and more on large rift by the same broker.  $1800 on the walnut limbs.  
I'd take that on the small crappy walnut but I'm not willing to stuff containers just yet.  No hombres
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

3SC white oak stave top grade is at $2400/mbf doyle.  Thats a min 10'6 with 18" dib and an inch of sap max.  

The low end is at $900 for 8'6 x 12" dib.  

Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Same here Mike. We had a lot of rain and then 6" of snow that has stuck around for a week or so and kept the ground from freezing. Whole lot of mud can't do anything without making an awful mess right now. Rain and above freezing today, hoping it gets the snow gone and then looks like it will freeze up some this week. That would be good there is some maple out back that I could maybe do alright on and it is all culls and some nice ones the tops were damaged badly this fall when hit by windthrow trees coming off the ridge tops. Hoping we can both get our stuff together while the time is right  buddy!

mudfarmer

Hey the part I was responding to is gone!  :D  8)  :new_year:

Tacotodd

Stuff that is no good for selling or mills is always good for the fireplace. What you can and do with it always depends on local buyers, a person just has to keep that kinda stuff in mind ;)
Trying harder everyday.

SwampDonkey

You guys in NY going to get any of this below 10F weather coming this way? Shouldn't take long to stiffen up the trails at night after the initial break in to expose some dirt. ;D

Although, not as effective on cedar ground sometimes, too much water in the ground fed by warm springs with slow lateral flow and never freezes even at -30F. :D

Tacotodd

SD, that's sounding like the Spring river here in northeastern AR and southeast MO, it originates in MO but flows almost entirely in AR. No matter what time of year it's out of the ground at 50ish degrees and doesn't change much in temperature for quite some distance. I've floated it 2x with my BIL but it doesn't hold any appeal to me personally. Don't get me wrong because it was fun, but he paid my way up/back and food/lodging but I only had "fun" on  2 spots on the place. 
Trying harder everyday.

Hogdaddy

I'm loving these poplar prices right now.... I've been cutting mostly redoak and hickory this year and then cut about 18,000 ft of walnut.. but this poplar takes the cake. Just cut 5 poplar trees this week in what I cut, 3725 ft in them, averaged .86 tree run.  Just wish I had a boundary that I could really cut on. Right now fighting wet ground on 3 different bunches that I have traded for. If I could cut 20 or 30k a week, I might be able to buy momma a new pair of shoes! lol
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

nativewolf

Quote from: Hogdaddy on December 03, 2021, 11:56:45 PM
I'm loving these poplar prices right now.... I've been cutting mostly redoak and hickory this year and then cut about 18,000 ft of walnut.. but this poplar takes the cake. Just cut 5 poplar trees this week in what I cut, 3725 ft in them, averaged .86 tree run.  Just wish I had a boundary that I could really cut on. Right now fighting wet ground on 3 different bunches that I have traded for. If I could cut 20 or 30k a week, I might be able to buy momma a new pair of shoes! lol
Wow, that's great.  So I have to ask..re the YP.  Is that all going to a local mill? 
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

The little spring that seeps into the ditch, and used to feed a spring house on the Burtt farm, never freezes even at -30F. The spot in the ditch where it runs to is bare all winter even after the snow plow shoves 12" of snow over it. :) No idea why my cousin removed that spring house, which is on his tree farm now, would come in handy working in summer and getting a cold drink. Wasn't thinking. Dad had a couple springs out back on the farm where we used to draw water from when rock picking. My cousin also had a spring house beside his place he removed after he dug a well. I still would have kept the old spring house. Some people have different notions about progress. ;)

moodnacreek

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 04, 2021, 07:12:59 AM
The little spring that seeps into the ditch, and used to feed a spring house on the Burtt farm, never freezes even at -30F. The spot in the ditch where it runs to is bare all winter even after the snow plow shoves 12" of snow over it. :) No idea why my cousin removed that spring house, which is on his tree farm now, would come in handy working in summer and getting a cold drink. Wasn't thinking. Dad had a couple springs out back on the farm where we used to draw water from when rock picking. My cousin also had a spring house beside his place he removed after he dug a well. I still would have kept the old spring house. Some people have different notions about progress. ;)
Filling in old wells, removing spring houses or boxes, sunken barrels, what ever, that's what you do. There is absolutely no thought of using anything that is not piped in. Water a garden? Get a cold drink? Put out a small fire before it spreads? Nope, take a picture of it and wait for the fire co.  There is an old saying everybody knows, [?]; 'you don't miss the water til the well runs dry'

ehp

So far here prices across the board are up and thats on all grades which is nice as we all cannot cut high grade like NW  .  

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on December 04, 2021, 08:46:55 AM
So far here prices across the board are up and thats on all grades which is nice as we all cannot cut high grade like NW  .  
It is nice, but you know the guy with $8 HM is not doing so bad. $3 here not that I have any.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 04, 2021, 08:26:18 AMThere is an old saying everybody knows, [?]; 'you don't miss the water til the well runs dry'
"when youve run out of water, its too late to dig a well."
Praise The Lord

ehp

Next job has a few hm that should be good . Most of the high grade is being left until the next cut  in 10 or so years .  All ravine and fairly steep ground . The only place your going to find good hm around here now cause it's hard to cut 

nativewolf

22-24" log and at $8 you've got 2000 dollar butts.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

Yes but you donot get to cut that many at 1 time .  Only 1 bush that I have cut where every butt log has was number 1 veneer . Land owner was very happy with his money . I cut another small bush about a mile away and mostly hm and on very select cut way only a 3 or so trees per acre but it was big volume and land owner get 10 grand per acre . Rare case where the big butts were still good to go 

SwampDonkey

The nicer sugar maple has been gone from here for a generation now. You find an individual tree here and there that dodged the saw. And now, when you drive down prices, it's just easier to send as pulp. I've seen lots of logs go to the pulp mill, can't be bothered for $20 here and there with all the handling and sorting added on. Go and buy a nice piece of clear maple, oh about $20 a 'running' foot and up. Who could afford real wood furniture, certainly not the masses. The shop can't barely buy the stock to have on hand, gotta pretty much have deposit on that new desk you want, to cover the wood $$. :D

Hogdaddy

Quote from: nativewolf on December 04, 2021, 06:00:46 AM
Quote from: Hogdaddy on December 03, 2021, 11:56:45 PM
I'm loving these poplar prices right now.... I've been cutting mostly redoak and hickory this year and then cut about 18,000 ft of walnut.. but this poplar takes the cake. Just cut 5 poplar trees this week in what I cut, 3725 ft in them, averaged .86 tree run.  Just wish I had a boundary that I could really cut on. Right now fighting wet ground on 3 different bunches that I have traded for. If I could cut 20 or 30k a week, I might be able to buy momma a new pair of shoes! lol
Wow, that's great.  So I have to ask..re the YP.  Is that all going to a local mill?
Yeah, a local mill.  
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

Ed_K

Something is going wrong, SPF  1k bf is up to $935.70 this morning on the N.Y. stock market. Do I hear a big POP coming?
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!