iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 24, 2020, 07:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quilbilly

I know this is pretty much a hardwood thread but I'd be interested to know what y'all are getting for softwood sawlogs outside the PNW. We are seeing prices we haven't seen since the 90's. Once we get going I'll update but I'd like to know if it's industry wide or just our little pocket. 
a man is strongest on his knees

mudfarmer

Tree run EWP here $250 3 years ago, $4-500 today same mill!

nativewolf

Quote from: quilbilly on February 05, 2022, 11:54:57 AM
I know this is pretty much a hardwood thread but I'd be interested to know what y'all are getting for softwood sawlogs outside the PNW. We are seeing prices we haven't seen since the 90's. Once we get going I'll update but I'd like to know if it's industry wide or just our little pocket.
I'd love to see more softwood pricing.  We've got a ton of older large EWP to take down as part of the Yellow Poplar harvest.  No idea what the pricing is like or even where to send it
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

@Wudman Could you give some insight into pine pricing this winter here in VA/NC
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Here's SPF prices for New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and northern Maine (Ashland) from the Irvings. They pay more if on contract. White pine price for Russel and Swim mill in New Brunswick. They have a product spec. page there.

ITON is 2000 lbs
MTON is 2200 lbs

https://www.irvingwoodlands.com/jdi-woodlands-wood-producers-wood-prices.aspx

Another source of prices from a forest products marketing board in southern New Brunswick [current]

Markets
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

Mr Loom, where were the prices 2 years ago?
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Personally, I don't know because I haven't any marketing board price sheets laying around to compare. Probably not hard to get with a phone call or walk in. Prices haven't peeked my interest to sell wood for quite some time.

I do know that stumpage on crown wood in NB was never adjusted.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

I can only speak for my situation where I am at. Keep in mind that I normally have to pay more than the big mills as I am a small time place and don't buy enough volume. On the other side of that I am one of 4 mills in the area that will buy large sized pine, over 22" butt diameter. Anyway I'm paying from $55.00 to $70.00 per ton for top quality pine. Cypress is over 4X pine price.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 05, 2022, 12:19:18 PM
That's what I'm hearing at the concentration yard in Western Mass. It's good if you are selling, and overdue if you ask me, but people buying lumber and timbers think it's still 1970. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 05, 2022, 10:25:17 PM
Quote from: mudfarmer on February 05, 2022, 12:19:18 PM
That's what I'm hearing at the concentration yard in Western Mass. It's good if you are selling, and overdue if you ask me, but people buying lumber and timbers think it's still 1970. ::)
Yep and large mills with modern tech along with more efficient wood harvesting isn't helping price of a log, only the lumber out the other end feeding demand. Up here if you're cutting for a commercial mill, you know before hand where your trucks and harvestors will be going. That also reduces costs, so the machines run uninhibited to pay those large loan bills, often to a mill corporation/equipment dealer arrangement, that are almost out of hand in costs with the guy in the cab living cheque to cheque.

mike_belben

plantation pine is grown here by contract mills but native softwood is not our thing outside of some cedar pockets. I dont know where to do better than $200/mbf doyle on SPF and will likely not ever cut any.  If i do come across sizeable pine i will buy it to saw myself. 
Praise The Lord

Ed_K

The mill I'll be sending some w/pine to shortly is paying $500. clear $270. #1 and $180 for pallet. A yr ago prices were $400. $250. and $170.
Ed K

OldTimbercutter

I sold some southern yellow pine last week to a local mill for $300 a thousand.
And he took it down to 8 in. 
White pine is around $75 a ton at another mill that buys by weight. 
deere 440b
clark f66
loyal dog
stihls 440,460, 066
pretty wife who likes to cook
prentice loaders
A few huskys and a dolmar
Life is good

AndyVT

I got $385/mb straight through last fall for  EWP. 
Buyer said his log yard was empty and could not get supply; I probably could have gotten more :D

woodman52

Here is a current hardwood price list for one of the mills I deal with.
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor +, small wood processor, Farmi 501 winch, Wallenstein LX115 forwarding trailer, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

quilbilly

So we just got a commitment till the end of the month for $1350 for 12"+ J sort DF and $1250 for 9"+

mudfarmer

Quote from: quilbilly on February 15, 2022, 04:40:16 PM
So we just got a commitment till the end of the month for $1350 for 12"+ J sort DF and $1250 for 9"+
What is "J sort"? 

quilbilly

Quote from: mudfarmer on February 18, 2022, 08:26:14 AM
Quote from: quilbilly on February 15, 2022, 04:40:16 PM
What is "J sort"?
J= Japan K= Korea C=China

quilbilly

That's also a descending order of quality. We need a minimum of 5 rings per inch for a J log, in a cold market that might not make it. Tape can't leave the log when measured over 40'

nativewolf

@quilbilly  So they want 5 rings it has to be so straight the log shows no sweep in 40' poles.  That's Japan quality.  Are they all cut to 40'?  Wow.  

Pricing seems great to my hardwood eyes.  Hope you can get the wood out.

@skeans1 how's things your way?  
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

I wonder what the price of yellow/Alaskan cedar is these days. When I was on the wet coast that all went mostly to Japan for temples. I rarely seen one as lumber unless it got mixed in with red cedar. Did some destructive sampling on the outer islands, for ring growth in a few old ancient brutes, 3-4' through. Bucked every 4 feet I think. Was 35 years ago so memory fades on the details. :D Had to leave them there on the ground to rot though. ::) Most of what I measured in timber cruise plots were 16-24" around wetlands, nothing huge.

quilbilly

Yes that's the best price since the early 90's for us. By a long ways. Heard rumors of rose burg in Oregon paying $1500. We don't expect it to hold at all. 

The log can have slight sweep but the tape when held on the center of the butt and center of the top can't leave the log at any point. We have a 36' length average. So we can put one or two 26' on per load. 

I have an Alaskan yellow cedar deck I just put on. Old growth. If taken care of properly it should outlive me. 

nativewolf

Glad to hear.

I am seeing $1.10/bdft for yellow poplar butt logs from sawmills.  That's wicked for YP sawlogs.  The pricing from @Woodman52 was very interesting, thanks for that.  

Liking Walnut

mudfarmer

Thanks! Always love to learn

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on February 18, 2022, 04:11:20 PM
@quilbilly  So they want 5 rings it has to be so straight the log shows no sweep in 40' poles.  That's Japan quality.  Are they all cut to 40'?  Wow.  

Pricing seems great to my hardwood eyes.  Hope you can get the wood out.

@skeans1 how's things your way?  

This is Japanese Export all day long once the long butt is taken, my requirements are normally 6 rings per inch half way out from the heart for this and some of the top Korean sorts we see. Normally our Japan stuff starts at 30' but has requirement of 36' average per load with a maximum of 41' including trim. Our big log for Korea start at 32" on the small end at 36' plus a foot of trim out to 65' no maximum on the butt size like Japan, both have very strict requirements on knot size such as Japan 1" or less straightness of the tape can't leave the center of the log more then 2" over the total length as well. When cutting for these sort of sorts two tapes is a must plus a standard tape for top diameter sizing as well as a copy of the sort sheets, my one export sort sheet is almost 35 sorts this doesn't include our domestic sorts.

Thank You Sponsors!