The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 478 Hercules  (Read 653 times)

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
478 Hercules
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:35:48 AM »
I have a running 478 Hercules out of our 2-135 White farm tractor. Have been told by a couple people that this engine was used in military applications as well. The tractor is rated at about 130 horse at the drawbar so probably about 170 ish ? Horsepower. Have videos of it running 
Asking 2000.00 but definitely willing to negotiate Itís located in southwestern Massachusetts.

I have read,understand and agree to the terms of selling here on the Forestry Forum

Offline charles mann

• Share Post
Re: 478 Hercules
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
From a military forum iv poked around on,  it was a motor used in the old 2 1/2 ton trucks as a multifuel engine. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
White engines owned Hercules for a time

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »
My DT turbo diesel 3.7 engine was a beast of a motor. They would have won the contract for powering UPS trucks years ago but they didnít offer it with a turbo at the time. They did put it in bread trucks and other industrial applications. Also they had a kit that was sold to the Pakistan army of repowering the Dodge M37. I bought the original prototype from Hercules in Canton Ohio. The original plant was 15 acres under one roof

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 06:17:43 PM »
The guy that designed the DT 3.7 was so big when he flew he would fly first class and pay for two seats that he would need

Offline zippski

• Barrister-at-Lawg
    • Share Post
    • J. Leigh Daboll, Barrister & Solicitor
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:22:44 PM »
We ran 478 Hercs on the farm in the 80s and into the 90s in both a White 2-135 and 2-155.  The are a silky smooth and powerful engine.  Pretty bullet-proof if a bit thirsty.  I think it was an engine ahead of its time, but now it is out classed in fuel efficiency by the various Cummins engines (5.9 and 8.3) that came in later WFE/Agco  models.  On the topic (sort of)  we also had a 2-180 with the beefy fast revving 3208 Cat V-8, but that engine was not as reliable. 

The first large tractor that I ever bought when I graduated from ag college in 1981 was a Cockshutt/Oliver 1950 with the screaming Jimmy 4-53. That engine was legendary and it remains my all-time favorite tractor I have ever owned   They still use them in tractor pulling competitions like this:

Leigh
zippski
Leigh
zippski

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 01:06:30 AM »
From a military forum iv poked around on,  it was a motor used in the old 2 1/2 ton trucks as a multifuel engine.
I figured that out from looking for parts in the past 

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 01:16:13 AM »
We ran 478 Hercs on the farm in the 80s and into the 90s in both a White 2-135 and 2-155.  The are a silky smooth and powerful engine.  Pretty bullet-proof if a bit thirsty.  I think it was an engine ahead of its time, but now it is out classed in fuel efficiency by the various Cummins engines (5.9 and 8.3) that came in later WFE/Agco  models.  On the topic (sort of)  we also had a 2-180 with the beefy fast revving 3208 Cat V-8, but that engine was not as reliable.

The first large tractor that I ever bought when I graduated from ag college in 1981 was a Cockshutt/Oliver 1950 with the screaming Jimmy 4-53. That engine was legendary and it remains my all-time favorite tractor I have ever owned   They still use them in tractor pulling competitions like this:

Leigh
zippski
Thatís what Iím replacing this Hercules with is a 5.9 Cummins.
Nice to hear from someone thatís run Whites not too many people around here like them.
Iíll never knock a man for buying tractors but listening to that screaming jimmy all day would make for a long one :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Hercules winch

Started by Bolie on Forestry and Logging

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 11:46:49 AM
by mobile demensia
xx
Hercules winch

Started by Zig on Forestry and Logging

0 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 03:22:13 PM
by Zig