iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First attempt at log tow this year ( no joy)

Started by Quebecnewf, April 15, 2021, 05:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

so do you tie each log individually or bundle in a raft.  what knots are you using, or is it just a half hitch?  do you tie them on land and pull into the water with the boat, or is it a wait for the tide to come in and then pull I assume.  are they skidded to the point in the picture.  do you have equipment to move the on land, or use a peavey?  i think I see a log arch in the pics.  some appear to up on bunks.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Quebecnewf

Try to answer all .

We roll them down into the water . As the tide comes in I hitch them together in racks of 20 . You can't hitch until they float . I'm using a half hitch with one extra hitch added for good measure . 

Once we arrive at the mill we float them in onto the shore line and move them up from the shore line with skidding arch and atv . 

Quebecnewf 

thecfarm

Well at least when you get to the mill there is no mud. ;D  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

for some reason, we do not get much "tidal" movement here...   :).  very interesting.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

@doc henderson  if you have THAT much tidal there, then we ALL are in trouble 👿 
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

Doc, are you saying that the Arkansas River sees very little tidal movement??  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Satamax

Quote from: doc henderson on May 01, 2021, 07:53:03 AM
for some reason, we do not get much "tidal" movement here...   :).  very interesting.
Doc, no tidal, but middle aplenty !  :D

Middal!
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Quebecnewf

Weather not working out for another tow so we're sawing some . Will put this through the planers tomorrow 

Quebecnewf 

Andries

From the Globe and Mail today:
Lumber contracts last month went for three to four times higher than in April, 2020. Benchmark two-by-fours made from Western spruce, pine and fir sold last week for a record US$1,420 for 1,000 board feet, quadrupling in price over the past year, according to industry newsletter Madison's Lumber Reporter. 
That's a lot of good lumber Quebecnewf. You're probably on a first name basis with all your lumber customers - but don't sell yourself short on what you're charging. You've been at this for a while and have a handle on your costs, but as the world is changing with the virus, the price tag on equipment keeps going up. 
Those lumber customers may want to help you pick up that new/used excavator on Kijiji? 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

Got it all passed through the single sided planer this afternoon .

It will go through the three sided one tomorrow and be ready to sell . Lots of orders coming in so keeping busy

Quebecnewf 

nativewolf

Really appreciate and enjoy the pics!  What's the primary end product?  
Liking Walnut

Quebecnewf

2 by 4 and 6 in lengths of 8/10/12' 

Construction lumber . Sold green or air dried depending on how long it sits 

Quebecnewf 

teakwood

can you plane the green wood? for me if it's a little too wet it won't pass the planer without trouble 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Quebecnewf

No problem planing green wood with those old planers . They were built for that .

Quebecnewf 

robpm

As others have said.  Really like the pics and the information!

Forgive my questions for all those who already have asked them and you have answered them.

What species of trees are these?
I am assuming that you are cutting them down and stacking them to then float on the river to your sawmill.  Do you cut them in the winter or all year long?
What river in Quebec is it that you are floating them on?
Do you have any pictures of your mill?

Thanks for your patience.

Quebecnewf

Another tow in progress as I'm typing this . Speed of 3.6 knots so lots of time . 105 logs in tow this time . Smooth on the water so that's good .

Logs a balsam fir and spruce .

We log in winter only .

Stack by the shoreline and then tow by boat in the spring after the ice melts . 

It salt water ( ocean ) 

We use the ebb and flow of the tides to help us

Quebecnewf 

Andries

And you have cell reception out there?
That's great!
Lucky you, most of Middle Canada only has cell service near the Trans Canada Highway or built up areas.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

Cell service just new here last summer . We have coverage along the shore line pretty much . Not much in over the land 

Quebecnewf 

Quebecnewf

Last 130 logs from our pile that we cut in the winter . Rafted and towed home . 

So this pile is now all home at the mill and we have about 1/2 of them sawed.

Good going for two older persons . 

Quebecnewf 

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Andries

It appears that you've got a good system going - well done!
How long will it take to mill this half of your lumber?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

We mill only on a part time basis . It varies a lot . We may mill for a few days then plane for a day . 

Summer coming up so milling will slow down . Once fall arrives we may pick up the pace . Very much hit and miss.

This is just a hobby/passion of mine 

In the process of building a new dock so working at this as well . We work at retired speed ( slow)"
Quebecnewf 

Andries

The timbers look fresh cut from your mill, nice and straight.
The verticals on that cribbing look really tall - how big are the tides in your bay? 
With projects like yours, this has gone way past a "hobby" label. This is full on construction. 👍👍👍
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

The timber's are fresh cut of the mill . The average tide here is 5 ft .
 Vertical members will be trimmed after . There is a section to be added to the end that will ( tip up ) during winter freeze up hence the two extra tall vertical posts at the end . These will have pulleys to pull up the drawbridge end so to speak . 

It's a project 

Quebecnewf 

chet

Curious as to how long those untreated timbers will last in that environment. 
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!