iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First attempt at log tow this year ( no joy)

Started by Quebecnewf, April 15, 2021, 05:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

where is "here" again.. if youre willing to share?  how far do you have to tow these logs?
Praise The Lord

Andries

Mike; From Upstate NY, follow the blue line NorthEast to Harrington Harbour, Quebec (lots of trees). 
Then, head out to sea, and across the Provincial boundary, to a number of Newfoundland islands (no trees at all), which is where QuebecNewf lives. 
Back in 2016, a FF somebody wondered the same thing - they were pondering a drop-by for coffee. . . . I'm thinking that would be a pricey coffee.   :D

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

mike_belben

Ive been trying to sketch out a family tree for the kids and have got my namesakes side figured back 9 generations to seal cove ( new chelsea ) in trinity bay.  Theres a lot of belbens there, conception bay and st johns.   So the landscape is extra interesting to me, i was just wondering if any of my ancestors ever looked at the same foreign (to me) shoreline.  

7 generations of deep sea fisherman and i dont like grabbing a bluegill.   What a shame i must be to them! :D
Praise The Lord

curved-wood

Last year my wife and I  got at the end of the road which is Kagaska. Quebecnewf live another 150 kms ( I guess ) farther and by boat only. I love that coast. We were not able to meet ...may be another year. I asked about him at a fisherman at the dock in Kagaska and he knew him!!! 150 kms away!!! A lot of people in my own village don't even know me !! Another world

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Quebecnewf

Quote from: chet on June 13, 2021, 09:48:42 AM
Curious as to how long those untreated timbers will last in that environment.
Timber's last along time . It's salt water of course . The biggest problem is that some type of small white worm eats the wood. These only exist at the lowest wood on the dock . They eat those timber's and then the rocks spill out of the crib and you have to rebuild . They eat treated wood as well so that's not an option . 
The island we live on is part of Quebec not NFLD . 
Quebecnewf 

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Satamax

Quote from: Quebecnewf on June 15, 2021, 12:56:36 PM
Quote from: chet on June 13, 2021, 09:48:42 AM
Curious as to how long those untreated timbers will last in that environment.
Timber's last along time . It's salt water of course . The biggest problem is that some type of small white worm eats the wood. These only exist at the lowest wood on the dock . They eat those timber's and then the rocks spill out of the crib and you have to rebuild . They eat treated wood as well so that's not an option .
The island we live on is part of Quebec not NFLD .
Quebecnewf
You don't have larch near you. I think it could last longer. All the piles under Venice are larch.  Western red cedar could may be do too. Cypress or yew as well. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Quebecnewf

We do have larch but very scattered now . It was all cut out years ago for boat building . 

I agree larch would be lots better and if I could I would build with it . It's a great wood .

I'm not sure but I'm thinking the worms could eat that as well . I saw a piece of 10x 10 from the federal wharf here that had the centercompletly eaten out of it . Now this is black creosote treated wood , real nasty stuff . I can't believe anything could eat that and live . .

These worms seem to be a new thing here . My dad never saw them when he built docks etc in his days .

Quebecnewf 

Thank You Sponsors!