iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone had experience planting giant red sequoia?

Started by HemlockKing, May 25, 2021, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HemlockKing

Curious. I want to plant maybe a couple dozen, I wonder how they would fare in southern NS. The closest seedlings I can find appear to be from BC.
A1

firefighter ontheside

I ordered some seeds and planted them in little starter pellets.  They all sprouted and lasted about a week and then all died.  I gave up after that.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

HemlockKing

Figure I gotta at least try them out. I'll probably order 150 or so and stick them on a hillside. I've seen pictures of some of them giant trees in California and I can't believe the size of them honestly. I had seen lots of big growth in B.C., but man those trees are BIG! They live something up to 3000 years? 
A1

KEC

You realize that you'll likely not get to see how big they'd get. right? Seriously, they say that those huge trees are still growing!

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on May 25, 2021, 06:05:05 PM
You realize that you'll likely not get to see how big they'd get. right? Seriously, they say that those huge trees are still growing!
Yes I understand that. 
A1

firefighter ontheside

I saw some of the Giant Sequoia in Yosemite.  They are amazing.  That's what made me want to grow them.  Also, don't confuse Coastal Redwood(sequoia sempervirens) with Giant Sequoia(sequoiadendron giganteum).  They are both equally as amazing.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

clearcut

Moderate winter temperatures, and low summer humidity conditions improve the chances of successfully growing giant sequoias outside of their natural range. 

They are susceptible to fungal diseases, especially Botryosphaeria spp.  

ARTIFICIAL REGENERATION OF THE GIANT SEQUOIAS
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ljohnsaw

Coastal Redwood(sequoia sempervirens) is the worlds tallest tree (IIRC - 425')
Giant Sequoia(sequoiadendron giganteum) is the worlds biggest tree (by volume) and about 325' tall. 

The General Sherman Sequoia had a limb that broke off and was sitting next to the trail.  That limb was about 8' in diameter!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

tule peak timber

I have two of them about 14 years old from sprouted seed.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

quilbilly

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 25, 2021, 08:27:39 PM
Giant Sequoia(sequoiadendron giganteum) is the worlds biggest tree (by volume) and about 325' tall.  

The General Sherman Sequoia had a limb that broke off and was sitting next to the trail.  That limb was about 8' in diameter!
I had some friends cutting old growth redwood. They were sending in bucked limbs for logs on the truck. Got away with it for a few loads. 
Whether or not the redwood is actually the tallest tree is up for debate. The mountain ash or some such thing in southern Australia grows to nearly equal heights in much less time. Most of it was cut down or lost in burns before modern measuring. There is a very good possibility the old growth reached over 400 ft. The tallest tree of recent times was a Doug fir I believe near mineral wa, close to Mt Rainier. It blew over roots and all and was measured at 393 ft. 
Genetically redwoods are probably tallest on average but they are substantially outnumbered by DF. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if a DF tree was the tallest ever or mountain ash. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Ianab

Not sure how they would handle the winter cold? They grow well in some parts of NZ, but it depends on local the micro-climate. Around 1900 the forestry dept evaluated various trees that could be planted to keep up with the demand for timber. The native trees can grow big, but are slow growers. Coast Redwoods did very well at the research site at Rotorua, but not as well in other areas. So Radiata Pine and Douglas fir were picked instead, more reliable and faster growth cycle. 

The Rotorua Redwoods are still there, and pushing 200ft tall now, and are now a tourist attraction. 
Rotorua Tree Top Walks | Redwoods Treewalk® Official Site

There are several growing around town here, but without the shelter of surrounding trees they are super tall, still fairly impressive trees though. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Years ago I tried a sequoia, but the cold winters we have here did it in. ;)

I'm surprised there weren't really tall trees in southern parts of Africa away from the equator. They have a lot of different climates in Africa, it's no small continent. I mean there are even glaciers on Kilimanjaro (that might be were by now).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riwaka

My understanding is some of the Californian/ West Coast trees have a preference for the soil mycorrhiza fungi that they have developed with.

In a radiata pine nursey in nz, the growers are growing a sacrifice crop of pine seedlings in new nursery ground to build up the compatible soil fungi. The first year crop of 'weak' seedlings is mulched. The second year seedlings in the same soil are stronger and suitable for sale as lifted 'bare root' seedlings.

1992 fs report - the science has progressed since then.  Giant redwoods and their mycorrhiza.
https://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr151/psw_gtr151_12_molina.pdf

Phyto-sanitary protocols would make one study the existing Eastern Canadian soil fungi and their distribution.

In the mountains there can be temperature inversions, the heavy cold air sinks to the valleys and the mid slopes can be warm. So the forests can be cold preference trees in the valley, a mid slope band of warmer condition liking trees and cold preference trees at the higher elevations.
Is there any difference in the freezing rain of Nova Scotia and the PNW?

There appear to be at least 4 provenances of Sequoiadendron giganteum. Need to understand their differences.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Ianab on May 26, 2021, 02:13:02 AM
Not sure how they would handle the winter cold? They grow well in some parts of NZ, but it depends on local the micro-climate. Around 1900 the forestry dept evaluated various trees that could be planted to keep up with the demand for timber. The native trees can grow big, but are slow growers. Coast Redwoods did very well at the research site at Rotorua, but not as well in other areas. So Radiata Pine and Douglas fir were picked instead, more reliable and faster growth cycle.

The Rotorua Redwoods are still there, and pushing 200ft tall now, and are now a tourist attraction.
Rotorua Tree Top Walks | Redwoods Treewalk® Official Site

There are several growing around town here, but without the shelter of surrounding trees they are super tall, still fairly impressive trees though.
If I was anywhere else in Canada (except bc perhaps) I wouldn't think they would do well, I'm only 8-10km off the ocean of the south shore Nova Scotia, we have very warm winters in comparison to the rest of N.S. because of the influence of the Atlantic, it keeps the climate warm, and cooler in the summer, we get lots of fog, wind, rain, not significant snow in the winter but still some storms of 10-15 cm. I probably will try planting them next spring, unless it may be better to put them in in summer? 
A1

HemlockKing

A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 25, 2021, 08:27:39 PM

The General Sherman Sequoia had a limb that broke off and was sitting next to the trail.  That limb was about 8' in diameter!
Wouldn't want that in your yard as a ornamental tree  :D
A1

tule peak timber

HemlockKing

Thanks for sharing! They look beautiful. Have you done much with them in terms of keeping them alive or have they fared well on their own? 
A1

tule peak timber

I live on a ridge at 4000 feet in a desert.I literally pump water 24/7/ 365 to keep my little oasis alive and without care  everything here would die. When we moved here 15 years ago it looked like scorched earth and I've changed that into a really nice place to be. Palms, cedars,spruces,pines, peppers, ashes, provide shade and animal habitat,,,,and enjoyment.We freeze half of the year and get snow here, so lots of effort with  some success, some failures.

HemlockKing

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 26, 2021, 10:41:15 AM
I live on a ridge at 4000 feet in a desert.I literally pump water 24/7/ 365 to keep my little oasis alive and without care  everything here would die. When we moved here 15 years ago it looked like scorched earth and I've changed that into a really nice place to be. Palms, cedars,spruces,pines, peppers, ashes, provide shade and animal habitat,,,,and enjoyment.We freeze half of the year and get snow here, so lots of effort with  some success, some failures.

You've done nice work. What species is that fern you know off hand?
A1

tule peak timber

Thanks for the kind words. No ferns here --too cold !

HemlockKing

What is that fern like growth then? Perhaps it's a type of Bush. It's something I'd expect from the tropical forrest. 
A1

tule peak timber

In the pics are Deodar cedars, Chillean wine palms, an oak and a spruce ?  Rob

Riwaka

Small part of this has coast redwoods planted in 28 inch/ 700mm rainfall area - Otway Ranges, Australia.

Winching down when falling, with mixed age woodlot area.

Also farm woodlot network.

My Garden Path - Rowan Reid - Fact Sheets - Gardening Australia - GARDENING AUSTRALIA

metalspinner

You might want to look into a Dawn Redwood. It's got a pretty cool history. It grows very fast and big. So you could live to see some impressive growth. They are planted all over here in eastern Tennessee as an ornamental yard tree. 

https://ufi.ca.uky.edu/treetalk/dawn-redwood
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!