The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Forestry helmet vs arborist helmet  (Read 555 times)

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
Forestry helmet vs arborist helmet
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
I have always worn a Husqvarna or Stihl type helmet with screen face shield and ear muffs using a chainsaw. But they've always had one quirk or another - visor doesn't stay down well, head adjustment etc... and generally not very comfortable. I've noticed arborist helmets that seem (maybe because of necessity) to be more comfortable, although a chin strap could be annoying. They are pricey, but I'm willing to part with a few dollars in exchange for more comfort. I'm not aware of any safety tradeoffs going to an arborist helmet. But I do understand that a "ground" helmet system is not suitable for a climbing arborist. I do not climb trees, so all my chainsaw work is on the ground. Any opinions of one type versus another?
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
Re: Forestry helmet vs arborist helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »
I have a Petzl with the snap-on ear protection.  The suspension system is very adjustable
making a comfortable fit easier.  The face shield is available too.

Bottom line if its not comfortable you're less likely to wear it.

Shop the systems a bit.

D

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
i have a petzl vertex vent climbers helmet with the 3m eye and ear system.. it all just snaps in.  i put a new face screen on it a few months ago.  came from baileys. comfy, good suspension, chinstrap doesnt bother me unless i have a big beard getting pinched now and then. everything snaps in and out, parts are available and the vents open and close. 

only one i ever had so i cant compare it to any others. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »
Pfanner Protos Helmet | TreeStuff

best helmet ever, no need for the chin straps, you remove them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offline Tin Horse

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 09:31:14 AM »
I'll second the Phanner. Fully adjustable and all components replaceable. Got mine with clear and tinted glasses. Earmuffs retractable. Vented for hot weather. Breaks down easily for cleaning. For me it is the most comfortable I've ever worn. Pay once. 8)
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
A fella I Know has the Protos and I had a look at it. Really nice hat, a little funky looking, but who cares? I really like the stow away ears, very nice not catching on things and the fit and finish are quite nice. I didn't know you could get clear shields, that's nice too.
 I am not a pro and don't really need something that high end. I switch between muff and ear plugs depending on weather and mood or workload. I can't stand flip ups because they catch everything. I have enough trouble with the face shield. I use a full brim with an add on shield and separate back of the neck ear muffs or plugs.
 That Protos is a nice helmet and the chip strap is usually just used by climbers because dropping a helmet can put a real hurtin' on the ground guy. ;D Not needed for ground work. I put a strap on my hat for just some odd occasions, but rarely use it. Should have had it on when I widow maker caught me in the forehead and knocked the hat 20 feet away.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline Old saw fixer

• Full Member x2
  • Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 09:54:09 AM »
    +1 for the Pfanner Protos.  I think the only difference between the forestry and arborist models is the chinstrap.  Mine is orange and yellow so I will be easy to find!
Stihl FG 2, Stihl 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline Andries

• Senior Member x2
  • Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 10:38:15 AM »
+2 for the Pfanner.
Adjustable, light and comfortable. 
The visor tips up close to the top of the helmet, so it's not banging the roof of the loader. Vents open and close for winter/summer use. Worth the $$.
But the biggest game changer is a communication option. A forester out felling may be working a buddy system, with a buddy doing his work a few hundred meters away. Comms might not be needed. However, an arborist usually works with a crew, the ground crew in the climbers danger/drop zone. A good communication system has the entire 3 or 5 man crew talking to each other as the job progresses. Microphone noise cancelling technology has made big advances: I can be bucking the trunk of a huge elm with the ms660 running full throttle and ask the new guy to start up the chipper and brink fuel and oil for the saw when he returns. No yelling or baseball hand signals, just voice and a bit of machine noise in the background. A techie miracle!
The savings in sweat, effort and time is huge - I'll bet they pay for themselves in a year or two.
LT30G24, LT40G25
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline PoginyHill

• Gentleman logger
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 08:15:07 AM »
Great info. Thanks everyone. Think I'll pull the trigger on the Pfanner. (I ordered some Pfanner chainsaw pants months ago from TreeStuff. Still on backorder). Clear shield is interesting, but didn't see it anywhere as an option or accessory.
Kubota M7060, Cat E70B, Case 310, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 391

Offline Old saw fixer

• Full Member x2
  • Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 03:57:14 PM »
     Try looking for Pfanner in clothing and safety.  The clear visor is there .
Stihl FG 2, Stihl 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
What's in your helmet?

Started by jdtuttle on General Board

10 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 10:58:24 AM
by Raider Bill
xx
helmet

Started by trapper on Health and Safety

12 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 09:30:24 AM
by dgdrls