The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Bucking on steep slopes with end bind  (Read 565 times)

Offline Jim Chance

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Bucking on steep slopes with end bind
« on: June 13, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
Can someone share suggestions for an easy way to buck a log on a steep slope with a lot of end bind? I do trail maintenance work. On trails that are running parallel to the contours I often encounter logs running straight down the slope across the trail. Cutting them is not a problem, but a lot of times the uphill part slides a little and binds everything back up and I canít clear the cut piece out of the way. Is there a trick to this?

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
Re: Bucking on steep slopes with end bind
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 09:26:20 AM »
Plastic wedges are your friend. Insert into kerf when the bar gets deep enough to allow the wedge behind it. Driving it in when your close to the bottom will even lift the log of the ground so you can cut through without sticking the bar in the ground. 
HM126

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
yes, cut into the compression wood deep enough to insert a wedge hard, then cut from the other side.  

or take out pie cuts to allow the tension to relax. youre just making clearance angles for the bar kerf so that as the tree starts to move, the bar is being pinched by air instead of wood. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
How big is the wood and how long is your bar? These are huge factors that play a role when bucking timber on steep slopes. When I do it Iíll cut the compression side first but will put a little bit of a face into that side then finish the tension side.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
Yes, good points mike on the elaboration. When the log is bridged and you can undercut itís different than when the log is on the ground. And pie cuts are good to use at times too. As always, it depends on the specifics of the situation. 
HM126

Offline Jim Chance

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »
It is not the cutting I am having trouble with, it is getting the cut piece out. Letís say the slope is 45 degrees, the trail is on the contour and the log is at a right angle to the trail going straight up and down the slope. And letís say the trail crosses the log about in the middle of the log and is 3 feet wide. I make my first cut on one side of the trail using wedges. I knock the wedges out and the cut closes. Then I make my second cut on the other side of the trail, and again the cut closes when I knock the wedges out. The best I can tell the cuts close because the uphill log is sliding down. I can not remove my 3 foot piece because it is jammed up. 

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »
Quarter the tree across the hill when working on steep ground itís safer to work with especially when bucking.

Offline Thomasjw4

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
Dont cut straight across the log, cut at a 45 or so in the direction you want it to roll out

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 04:29:53 PM »
Yes, that. Or work from the highest point down so thereís nothing to trap the round.

Steep ground like that makes everything difficult. You have to move all the cut pieces up to the trail by hand?  Then what? Haul away in a ??.
HM126

Offline Jim Chance

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:04 PM »
We donít fell the trees, we just clear the ones that block trail. We push the part we cut out of the way and down hill and leave it. We are not harvesting the wood, just clearing the trail for hikers. I am going to try cutting at an angle and see if that works. Seems like it would. Thanks for the suggestions.

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 09:34:41 PM »
Well good luck with it. Sounds like it can challenging work. Do you carry a peavey or cant hook to give some mechanical advantage on those rounds?  Seems like a good tool to have along. 

Where are theses trails located?  Sounds like some rugged terrain. 
HM126

Offline Jim Chance

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »
I work in NC and Ga, the southern tip of the Blue Ridge Mountains. A lot of it is so steep that moving around off trail is a challenge. We usually do not carry a peavy due to weight though sometimes I wish I had one. Sometimes, mostly to drop a hung tree, we bore cut a hole and stick a sapling in it to roll it.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »
if you just keep cutting pie cookies with unparallel, opposing angles, sooner or later you should be able to knock a chunk out like a vertebrae.  make em small enough not to work hard and kick em over the hill. 
Psalm 37:16

Offline reride82

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 03:38:45 PM »
In this circumstance, I've just cut the log at a 45 degree angle perpendicular to each other, so that as the the uphill portion pushes down it wedges the cut piece away. You can make them parallel if you like, but then the pieces just try to slide past each other.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter