iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie question, How you cut the last board

Started by squarpeg, June 17, 2021, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

I have a new to me Norwood 36HD.  One the first day of trying to cut something on it, I decided just to start with some 1x's now using the scale on the mill you are working from the top down to the bottom. So I made a cant started cutting down 1 inch at a time. When you get to the last board. The mill wont cut a 1 inch last board. Shows as 1.2 inches to the bed and also all the dogs are in the way. So now I am left with a 1.2 inch thick board...So how is the last board cut? I tried putting another board under it, but if that is how you do it how do you dog it down?  Not enough room on the edge of the board to hold it without hitting the dogs with the blade...Thanks for you patience, more to come I am sure.

Patrick NC

My hd36 will cut 7/8" on the last board. You need to adjust your mill. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Patrick NC

When you say"dogs", are you talking about the clamp ?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

maple flats

Check to see what is the issue, the mill is able to cut within-in 1" of the deck. Go to Norwood's website and watch the video, maybe that will help you see the issue.
To get there, just click on the adv. for Norwood in the column to the left.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

squarpeg

Yeah when I say dogs I mean the clamp on one side and then there is the the other thing dont know the name of, it is the roller you rest the log against.  Okay, I will take another look at it and the norwood site

DesertHobo

Quote from: squarpeg on June 17, 2021, 12:25:56 PM
Yeah when I say dogs I mean the clamp on one side and then there is the the other thing dont know the name of, it is the roller you rest the log against.  Okay, I will take another look at it and the norwood site
The "dog" is the clamp, the "rest" is, well, the log rest   ;D
On top of the log rest, connected to the roller/wheel, there should be a metal shroud that can come up/over the roller. It has a few teeth to bite into and hold that last board in place once you've lowered the log dogs and rests into position.

Take your time and, if you haven't already, check out Dave Boyt's YouTube series on the HD36, a lot of helpful tips there.

Also, if you bought it used, find the serial number and let Norwood know you're the new owner. That'll open up an inroad for parts and service.

Patrick NC

The clamp should be 3/4' above the bunks at it's lowest position. Check and make sure theres nothing under your mill that's blocking it. 

Patrick NC

Here's a couple of pictures that might help you. 

squarpeg

Well one thing I notice is that the clamp you are using has a pin in it, near the top. I am finding mine difficult to use, but the pin is in the very bottom, I thought it was there just to keep it from pulling out. So those pins are supposed to be moved around I take it?

Patrick NC

Ok. Now we're getting somewhere. The pin needs to be in the top hole. It also goes through part of the clamp. If you look in the hole and move the hook part of the clamp around you will see a hole in that pert that the pin goes in. It's a pivot for the cam lock mechanism. The cam lock won't function properly without it. Once it's put together properly, it's very easy to use. Most of the time I can clamp 1 handed. 

TroyC

My EZ 40 last cut is 1 1/8" thick. I usually take my last 1" board at the 2" mark. Then I lower to 1 5/8" so my last board is a 2X whatever. I thought I could adjust it down to 1" but it will kiss the dogs that low. 

Nebraska

That's the same way I finish on my EZ Jr, if I am thinking ahead. :)

Patrick NC

Wow! I thought all bandsaw Mills would cut 1" on the last board. I get a lot of jobs for 1" boards and having to make a 2x on the last cut could be an issue. 

TroyC

I thought mine just needed adjusting down to 1" but learned the hard way, leave it at 1 1/8. Having extra 2x whatever is not a problem, I can always use them for something. 

btulloh

I like to saw to just above the pith the turn 180 and repeat. Having an odd size dog board with the pith in it seems better, plus I'm probably going to flip to counteract stress anyway. The dog board can then get the pith edged out leaving 2 qsawn boards that can be planed, used for a brace, or whatever. Just another way to deal with the situation. 
HM126

Patrick NC

Just for fun this morning I decided to see how close I could saw to the deck and not hit anything. 

Bottomed out as far as the head will go down. 13/16"

Cruiser_79

I try to end up with a beam, to avoid adjusting all the clamps every time. I have some standard dimensions that I saw, and when ending on a size more than an inch you would be good.  Would be handy to be able to adjust all the clamps from one point, because now I can forget one. Especially when I finish for the day I let the head travel to the beginning of the bed to the auto stop and it will hit a clamp when I forgot one  :-\  

Jeff

An 85 lt30 only cuts to 3" from the bed. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

squarpeg

Ok i figured it out. I did manage to nick the metal stop you clamp against. Lesson learned. My scale was off a bit. Can get 1 inch but decided ill cut the last one 1/8 over for piece of mind. Still looks scary close. 

Chuck White

Be sure to check that bottom clearance any time that you do a mill alignment!

It can change!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RAYAR

I can mill down to 3/4". My fixed back stops are 1/2". My cam dawgs allow me to clamp very low.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

azmtnman

Quote from: Jeff on June 20, 2021, 03:06:27 PM
An 85 lt30 only cuts to 3" from the bed.
Does yours have the cam-style clamp?
I can cut down to 2" on my 83 LT30. If you put the postitioner-thingy UNDER the clamp positioning bar and up against the bottom of the clamp positioning bar (the thing with holes in it that holds the clamp,) it will cut down to 2" without too much work. 
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Jeff

I do have the cam. Lease favorite part of the mill.. My head bottoms out on the ride along battery
I could get 2.5 but have to push the head right down on the battrry box. I do have a modified box, but it got wider not taller foe a standard battery.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

My 87 lt30 will cut to 7/8 inch  but i dont use the clamp for the last 4-5 boards. I leave them on the bunks to hold everything down while I cut
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!