iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your car warranty is about ready to expire…….

Started by Larry, June 18, 2021, 09:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I get one of the robo calls every day or two. Other than minor irritation, I just hang up and go about whatever I was doing. With the amount of calls, you know these scammers are making big money.

Today I found out what they are doing with the cash. They buy a legitimate stand up business, hire smart attorneys, and cut the service to noting. There using the same corrupt, and greedy business practices previously learned. A lot harder to avoid or recognize the scammer when they are in a legitimate business.

I believe with the today's technology, the car warranty scam could be stopped overnight. The only thing I can figure, is the scammers are paying off the politicians. I would like to see these boy's stopped before this disease spreads.

Just today's rant.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tacotodd

That's going to be a hard row to hoe, for someone at least.
Trying harder everyday.

Dan_Shade

I really don't understand why people answer their phones.

If I don't know who's calling, I let voicemail talk to them.

They're making money somewhere. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom the Sawyer

I answer my phone because I have a service business and none of my new clients' names are entered in my phone directory.  Once it appears that they may schedule work, I enter their name with the phone number, impresses them when you answer with their name the next time they call, even a year later.  

Many of my clients have cell phone numbers from outside the KC Metro area (816, 913, 785), today's client had a number from Connecticut, Wednesday's had a number from Oklahoma, etc.  Sure, I get the marketing calls, some of which are flagged by AT&T as Spam Risk or Telemarketer, but if they aren't flagged, I listen long enough to identify, hang up and block.  My wife won't answer any call if she doesn't recognize the number, misses calls she should have taken, and I have to listen to 10 or 12 rings of her phone before they give up.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

mike_belben

'Were calling about your vehicles warranty." 

On the 82 or 86?
Praise The Lord

Southside

So there actually was a proposal to stop all of these shenanigans a couple of months back.  Almost all of these calls originate from out of the US.  I can't remember the details but it was a pretty basic way to block it dead in it's tracks.  Do you know who got the legislation pulled?  Verizon and AT+T, yup the service providers said they "were not ready" for the new regulations.  Something about a theoretical traveler who looses his phone in Cambodia or something and has to call home but gets blocked so he ends up trapped in a Vietnamese snail smuggling ring because nobody back in Missouri can send him money for a plane ticket or some garbage like that.  

Yup - the service providers don't want it to stop because they are making money on it, so they pay the lobbyist who ensures a campaign donation is made to the legislator and some computer calls me to tell me that the warranty on my '06 with 420K on it is about to expire....

Didn't I hear something about an unstoppable torpedo nuke that can hit DC?     
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

SS,

Be careful with that torpedo Nuke. It might cause billions of dollars worth of improvements. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

WV -

I don't recall them saying that the theoretical traveler had an ATV roll over onto his phone causing it to break - having said that --- How much time have you spent around Vietnamese snail smugglers?   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

farmfromkansas

Think the only cure for this stuff is term limits.  And need to repeal the 17th amendment, and let the state legislatures appoint the senators.  I am talking one term only.  And no other office in the federal government. The "career politicians" have made corruption legal.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

WV Sawmiller

I confess - I have never heard of a Vietnamese snail smuggler. Are they Vietnamese citizens who smuggle snails or Miscreants who sneak into Vietnam and steal and smuggle out the rare Ho Chi Mingh racing snails found only in isolated mountains near abandoned rice paddies?

BTW - I did get a new ATV this week. I thought about a side by side but decided they would not make it up many of the areas I need to travel as too wide and not enough umph to climb slopes that steep.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Wife just told me about some commercial or skit of some sort.. A couple rehabbing an old house, removing the paint or wallpaper etc and underneath is written "weve been trying to reach you about your vehicles extended warrantee.."

:D
Praise The Lord

goose63

The best I've had was my cell no called me saying thy can lower my CC intrest rate :D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

21incher

I got that warranty call a couple  months  ago. We usually  don't  pick up unknown  numbers but I decided  to have fun and found it was for an extended warranty after  answering.  Was from someone that was hard to understand and probably  from offshore.  I kept the guy on the phone for over 5 minutes  asking  stupid questions.  He kept  asking me to buy one and finally I told  him my truck was 2 years  old with  a 7 year warranty and he should  have checked  before calling. The guy hung up immediately and we have not had any spam calls since. There must be a master  list of numbers they all call and take your  number  off if you waste their time on a call. I bet they have a quota of calls they need to make an hour to get paid.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Been getting a call for some Joni for 3 years. The answer machine is on all the time now and they hang up when the machine talks. Then there is one for a John and one for a Jody that are less frequent. I know it is all scam calls because once in awhile I catch a fool giggle when the answer machine kicks in. :-X The phone companies know who they are, they control the networks. The CRT has not yet held their feet to the fire to clean up the lines. :-X

In the end days of CB use, it was nothing but someone talking with ads, which is illegal. Now the air is dead, truckers on cell now unless in remote forest roads where they have to call every km. I remember 20 years ago, 'pistol packing momma' was on CB all day after her man passed away. Well, we know who it was. She lived in a tar paper shack most of her life, a real prize and not much for brains. That CB was like a bunch of folks sitting all day with a $900 gadget texting and FB all day with no job to pay the bill. Toys paid for by welfare and Trudeau's child support cheques. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Claybraker

Quote from: mike_belben on June 18, 2021, 10:43:52 PM

On the 82 or 86?
I get calls about my 2015 and 2017. The 2017 is a BMW I get serviced at the dealer because I insist on OEM blinker fluid. Can't find it at NAPA. Mine is one of those rare BMWs that actually has working turn signals.

I turned 65 Friday, so lately it's Medicare supplement policies.

florida

The amazing thing to me is that the car warranty callers actually leave messages! That takes real brass since the robocalls are against the law even if the law has no teeth.

As far as blocking the numbers, it's a waste of time. The number you see on your screen is not the number they are calling from, it's just a random number their computer generates. Try it sometime, call the number back and you'll get somebody just like yourself.  The apps that are supposed to stop these calls are a scam themselves. They brag that they have 100,000 scammer numbers in their database which is a total joke. I paid for one year of service from the best-known one but it barely stopped any calls at all. I deleted 37 calls for my phone in one 24 hour period.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

HemlockKing

Quote from: Claybraker on June 20, 2021, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on June 18, 2021, 10:43:52 PM

On the 82 or 86?
I get calls about my 2015 and 2017. The 2017 is a BMW I get serviced at the dealer because I insist on OEM blinker fluid. Can't find it at NAPA. Mine is one of those rare BMWs that actually has working turn signals.

I turned 65 Friday, so lately it's Medicare supplement policies.
Make sure the dealer checks the muffler bearings and primes the battery as well lol 
A1

Raider Bill

Too many people neglect their muffler bearing.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don P

I'm thinkin I can call Mike and sell him a new '89  ;D

mike_belben

You have to take payments in inflated firewood and ammo  ;D
Praise The Lord

trapper

mike how do you get the air in the firewood to inflate it
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Don P

WV Sawmiller

Its an amazing physical phenomenon. The pressure from the high speed bullet sucks the air in behind it and the soft, hot, unjacketed lead bullet seals the hole holding the air in. It works better in soft hardwood like poplar or buckeye but will work on pine and spruce too if you don't hit a hard knot.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!