iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Driveshaft operating angles

Started by mike_belben, June 19, 2021, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Ive done a bunch of typing several times explaining this to help people fab or troubleshoot equipment driveline issues.  Figured id share this vid that got suggested to me just now.  First time ive seen it illustrated this way.

Drive shaft velocity - YouTube
Praise The Lord

donbj

Very interesting and informative. Very well done video.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

moodnacreek

Great video. I remember reading about this when I was a kid in Hot Rod magazine.  Think what a conventional 4x4 does while making a turn.

trimguy

Very interesting. I Learned something again today. Thanks Mike.

Gere Flewelling

Years ago I worked at a fire truck manufacturer installing Hale, Waterous, and Darley pumps in new truck chassis.  The pump directions always dictated that the pump had to be mounted in the frame at the same angle as the engine and transmission angle to control vibration.  I thought I was smart enough to know why, but this video explaining and showing the changing yoke speeds explains the real reason a vibration would occur.  And I thought I wasn't going to learn anything new today! headscratch
Thank you for showing this.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

moodnacreek

My old log truck has 4 drive shafts. It once had a growling at 45 mph that was in the drive shafts. The man who fixed it showed me the formula. It started with the crankshaft angle and when it got to the 2nd half of the 2 piece between the aux. trans and the first rear it had to have a steep angle the looked all wrong but it fixed it. Funny thing is that they say a straight driveshaft has a short U joint life. 

mike_belben

Definitely true... When you have a straight at one end and an angle at the other.  If thats the case you need a double cardan at the bent end. 

In single cardans you need both joints straight or both equally bent.

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!