iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood clamp question

Started by squarpeg, June 20, 2021, 10:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

I have a "new to me" norwood HD 36.  I have seen people say they like the clamps on this machine but personally I am not loving them. Maybe others can tell me the best way to manage them. So they have 3 pin holes in them, one at the bottom, one sort of in the middle and then one at the top. When I got the mill, the pin was in the bottom hole and I had no idea I was supposed to move it up top, which I have done and that works better. The thing is if you leave that pin in the top position and then dump a big old log onto the carriage that clamp is just above the deck, wont that eventually be damaged? So, I have been sliding both clamps out when loading a log, and then reinstalling them. Is that what others do? Seems like a needless step. 

Since I am working alone I find dealing one handed with these clamps impossible. This occurs when you have a log rolled up that wants to roll back towards you , so you are holding it with a peavey in one hand, trying to position it for a 90 degree cut, then you have somehow get that clamp on with the other free hand. Not so easy. So how is it done?   

One other thing I do not like about the saw is the scale is so high up. You have to be a giant to read it correctly. I am 6-2" and I have a milk crate there to stand on to read it accuratley. What engineer came up with that design?

btulloh

My clamps are a little different but still the same difficulty you describe. I set one clamp as best i can with one hand then use the second clamp to take up the slack and square up the log against the backstops. Usually one well-set clamp is all you need, but you can always resetthe first clamp if you find you need both. Takes a while to get all the techniques worked out sawing solo on a manual mill, but it gets figured out pretty quick.
HM126

Patrick NC

The clamp should have a set screw on the bracket where it slides on the square tubing. The screw should be set where the bracket slides easily , but still clamp without sliding. If you find that sweet spot it will be a lot easier to manipulate the clamp one handed. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

squarpeg

Quote from: Patrick NC on June 21, 2021, 07:30:04 AM
The clamp should have a set screw on the bracket where it slides on the square tubing. The screw should be set where the bracket slides easily , but still clamp without sliding. If you find that sweet spot it will be a lot easier to manipulate the clamp one handed.
Ok that is a good thought they seem to not want to move that easy, I will look at that thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!