iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

646 valmet

Started by Firewoodjoe, April 13, 2022, 01:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

curious as to how this goes, please keep us updated.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

I was hoping someone would have the parts numbers so I didn't have to order through the dealer. It's usually almost half price if I can order from a bearing supplier. But I'm waiting on a phone call. Just order it all I guess 🤷‍♂️

Firewoodjoe

Bearings and seals are over $8,000. Ouch. That's also the two inside bearings. I'm getting just the seals and see what I can do after it's apart. 

chevytaHOE5674

If you can afford the downtime tear it apart and get numbers/dimensions off the bearings/seals and shop around. 

Just last week I priced wheel bearings, axle bearings and all the seals for the front of a New Holland tractor. 4k bucks from the dealer. Customer didn't need it asap so I tore it apart got bearing numbers off everything. Ordered Timken bearings and National Seals from an online supplier for under 1k bucks shipped to the shop in 2 days. Well worth the time shopping around.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on July 08, 2022, 08:20:01 PM
If you can afford the downtime tear it apart and get numbers/dimensions off the bearings/seals and shop around.

Just last week I priced wheel bearings, axle bearings and all the seals for the front of a New Holland tractor. 4k bucks from the dealer. Customer didn't need it asap so I tore it apart got bearing numbers off everything. Ordered Timken bearings and National Seals from an online supplier for under 1k bucks shipped to the shop in 2 days. Well worth the time shopping around.
That's the plan. To many times now I've found the markup on this stuff is out of control. It looks like it has 5 shims according to my parts book. I'd like to get my own eye on it anyways and maybe it can just have new seals and preload reset. I'll just run harvester and have the forwarder down over a long "weekend" I hope. I told myself to stay away from bogies for this reason but the double bunk and even the bogies are growing on me for many reasons. 

Firewoodjoe

I have the itch for new equipment but the money just isn't there. 

chevytaHOE5674

As much as I'd like some new/newer farm equipment and in my case the money is there I feel now is not the time to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. So ill sit on my money and see what the next year or two brings. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on July 08, 2022, 11:00:13 PM
As much as I'd like some new/newer farm equipment and in my case the money is there I feel now is not the time to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. So ill sit on my money and see what the next year or two brings.
Well I don't have a million for a new set up. 😂 but what I mostly mean by the money isn't there is I'd have to cut an additional 14-15 loads per month just to cover the payments. Of which would be possible but then there's no gain anyways. Even with down time and parts I don't spend no where near what these guys do per month with new iron. Then the first year or so there may be no down time but it will come and will still have that payment. 

Firewoodjoe

What a day. Finished another quick load of logs and pulled the bogie axle out. Headed home and tore it apart. Easy getting out of machine. 1 1/2 hours I was on the road with it. Tearing it down wasn't so easy. Heavy parts for one man to do alone. But I got it. Will need some bearings. Never seen a "plain" bearing like this.

BargeMonkey

How do you know when a bogie is going bad or what are you routinely checking ? 

Firewoodjoe

First sign is wet. The new ones have grease so it's not as easy. But you should jack them up and check for movement. If you run it to long stuff gets real expensive real fast. This one is a lot different. It runs in oil. Oil in the center diff, oil in the axle tube (which is what Is in my pic that holds the bearings) and oil in the bogie frame/walking beam whatever you want to call it. All three are sealed and oiled separate. Kinda dumb I think. But these bearings appear to me much cheaper than the new style. 

Firewoodjoe

Well I think the classic bogie bearing monster bite me. So much for a cheap forwarder. I have one more try tomorrow otherwise two bearings are going to be about $6k plus shipping. Which is still cheaper than say a Deere 1010 but I think that style of bearing is much better built. 

barbender

I've heard of the bearings for Ponsse bogies being $15K, and that's been a few years ago.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

I did the boggie pivot bearings in a Ponsse Buffalo and the parts were around 10k. They also had 32k hours on them.

Years ago when we had to do them in the Ergo I was running they were some oddball parts and crazy expensive, then the ring and pinion blew so it was cheaper to source a newer axle/boggie assembly with the "cheaper" parts.

Firewoodjoe

She's back to skidding wood. Nothing $8k in parts can't fix lol better work now, I just cut all last week. 

Thank You Sponsors!