iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor Canopy brand/material experience?

Started by North to Alaska, August 02, 2022, 12:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North to Alaska

High all.
Getting tired of working in the snow and rain here in Alaska. I have a Branson 4520r rops. I knew I didn't want the cab because the danger of it getting beaten up by branches. 
So i am now looking for a canopy for it. Leaning towards aluminum over the heavy duty plastic like "tuff top"
Keep me dry and to keep snow off of my driver's seat area(tractor sits outside). By the way, we can get a foot or two of heavy snow so that is also a factor in this. 
I'm asking for your experience how your canopy held up getting hit with branches and heavy snow?

May eventually put some kind of aftermarket cab on it for winter use?

I have included complimentary pictures of the tractor 😁
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

thecfarm

I had one on a tractor. Never had a problem with it, but I maintain my trails and the tree limbs are high. That tractor spent a lot of woods time.
Now the wife's tractor....... Not so good.
That tractor is a mower and snow blower tractor. Not much woods time. The apple tree limbs did a job on one side of the canopy. I have to fix it.  :(
So keep the tractor in the woods and all is fine.  ;D
That canopy will not keep you dry nor keep snow off you either.
I suppose you mean just a roof, no sides?
I did mean to mention both are fiberglass.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dogone

I have a canopy on. JD. Wouldn't be without it in summer. I have cracked it on a branch but can't feature any decent canopy collapsing from snow fall.

g_man

I built one. It keeps me pretty dry and keeps the snow off that I knock out of the trees. But to keep the operators station and seat dry during a storm I have to tarp it.

gg

North to Alaska

It will get dents. I am pulling out trees and building roads through my 40 acres. Using it to pull stumps out which it does pretty easily. Tree branches will happen but they are mostly spruce and some birch.
We don't get too much wind normally. Rain usually comes straight down and so does the snow. Every once in a while we will get a snow storm with higher winds. So the canopy will do a good job of keeping it dry and snow free most times.

I'm staying away from the steel because of paint/rust issues. Aluminum or heavy duty plastic is what I'm really looking at.
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

North to Alaska

Quote from: thecfarm on August 02, 2022, 05:55:46 PM
I suppose you mean just a roof, no sides?
I did mean to mention both are fiberglass.
Yes just a roof for now. I might look at something for sides down the road sometime but not now. That would be for winter and I would like to direct heat into it at that time too. For now long johns, insulated coveralls, wool socks, etc for snow clearing will have to do. Actually stay pretty warm with that unless it is snowing on me and i get wet.
Branson 4520r tractor
Krpan 3.5 winch
MTL grapple
Dr 22k splitter
Stihl MS 261 CM

Thank You Sponsors!