iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New blade burning not cutting.

Started by Stevenjohn21, September 21, 2022, 08:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevenjohn21

I've had a recent issue on my mill so one of the suggestions was to change the blade on my hm130max. 
I have woodmizer blades so I took off a 10 degree blade and put on a 7 degree blade to cut a basswood. 
The blade barely cut 1" into the wood and was smoking. I could smell the wood burning. I switched back to a 10 degree blade and it cut as it should. 
 Is this a faulty blade or does the degree make that big of a difference? 

Old Greenhorn

Um, you are going to think I am a wise guy, and maybe I am, but in this case, no. Don't get insulted, many of us has done this, but is it possible you put that bade on backwards? That is, with the teeth pointed in the wrong direction? None of us realize this is even possible, but in fact it is. I think this is what happened here.
 OH, and I said "many of us has done this" but I in fact, have not done it myself. I can neither confirm nor deny whether or not I have caught myself in the act of doing it though. I check every time these days.
 Somewhere on the forum there is even a thread about flipping blades inside out to get them facing the right way.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

fluidpowerpro

I agree with OG. Must be a blade for use in Australia   :D
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Stevenjohn21

Now you've got me super confused! 
How in the world is it possible to put a blade on wrong? Either the teeth are facing the log or they are facing the back guide ..... which I admit I'm not the brightest but I definitely do that 🤣

btulloh

A blade can be turned inside out and make the teeth face the other direction. It happens. 
HM126

fluidpowerpro

The tooth is still facing the log, but the tooth profile is facing the wrong way relative to the saws rotation.
To correct it, hold the blade with both hands, one at 3:00 and one at 9:00. Now twist the blade "inside out" and the teeth will be facing the other way.
Change is hard....

Patrick NC

Had a whole box of new blades that were shipped to me "inside out ". Won't name the supplier. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Stevenjohn21

🤦‍♂️ I feel like a complete idiot!

I didn't even think about it being inside out. This was suppose to be a fun hobby, it's making me feel dumber everyday 😞

SawyerTed

Forget about it!  

Remember we have a Did Something Dumb thread you can read when you want to feel better about yourself.  :D

Mark it up to learning and go on.  We typically don't remind anybody about their mistakes until they occur 7 or 8 times.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

I got a free WM blade from the anniversary show.
That blade had to be turned inside out for it to run on the Thomas mill that I have.
Somehow, I could tell it was backwards. But I took a black marker and drew the design on the cover so I would remember.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

I have done it a couple of times. The first time with plenty of witnesses and a dry 8" reclaimed white oak on the mill.  The noise sounded like we were killing hogs.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Stevenjohn21 on September 21, 2022, 09:26:56 PM
🤦‍♂️ I feel like a complete idiot!
......... This was suppose to be a fun hobby, it's making me feel dumber everyday 😞
Whoa now! Back up the truck there just a minute pard'. This IS a fun hobby, and what you (allegedly) may have done is something you should laugh at.....HARD and LONG. I did when I caught myself doing the same thing, you should too. This is not a tramp through the daisy's, it complicated and there is hard work and learning involved. There are a lot of (simple) things to learn, but as was mentioned, it is a long list. Back up a bit, relax, take a breath, learn to laugh a bit more, then dive back in. We call most of this stuff "required mistakes" because EVERYBODY makes most of them, like hitting a backstop or clamp. Have you done it yet? Of course not, but you will, there is no question. It might take a few years, even a decade, but you will. OTOH, you may do it next week. But whenever you do it, don't be shocked and give up for the day. Just laugh at yourself, cry over the blade cost, throw another one in and move on. That's the game. I GAR-UN-TEE it will be a while before you do it again. That's how we humans learn, and some of us learn and remember better than others. I am not saying which is which, because I don't know. :D ;D  Some guys learn fast, some guys learn slow. I am in the middle, I think, I am what you could call halfast. ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on September 21, 2022, 09:31:46 PM..........  We typically don't remind anybody about their mistakes until they occur 7 or 8 times.
We don't?! I didn't get that memo. Neither did the guys that keep 'mentioning' my alleged 'shortcomings'.  :D

WV Sawmiller

When I first started milling I had 2 turned inside out, reported them to WM, I sent them back and they sent me 2 replacements. They never thought to ask me or suggest I try turning them inside out. I finally figured it out later what had happened.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

The first time I realized a blade could be inside out, I did notice it before I tried cutting, but for a brief instant I thought " what the he#$, they sent me a bad blade".
Change is hard....

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 21, 2022, 10:00:41 PM
  When I first started milling I had 2 turned inside out, reported them to WM, I sent them back and they sent me 2 replacements. .......
Now THAT is downright bizarre right there. Funny too! :D

LeeB

When I first started milling I had an old LTGA sharpener and single tooth setter. You had to flip the blade inside out to set one side and right side out to set the other, Needless to say. I  forgot to turn  the blade right side out more than once. After a while you just learn to look for the right tooth direction. I  actually still have that sharpener and setter but don't use them any more. Stole the push motor off of it and used it on the mill to replace a burnt out adjustable guide motor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

Haha Lee thankfully Woodmizer does have a lot of commonality with their electric motors.

I've made smoke with a backwards blade before. There's no shame in it😂

You don't have to think less of a blade manufacturer if they send you blades that the teeth are pointing the wrong direction. Some mills cut to the left (Woodmizer does) others cut to the right. I have one local supplier I'll buy from now and again, I have to flip all of those blades.
Too many irons in the fire

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 21, 2022, 10:00:41 PM
  When I first started milling I had 2 turned inside out, reported them to WM, I sent them back and they sent me 2 replacements. They never thought to ask me or suggest I try turning them inside out. I finally figured it out later what had happened.
:o Wish I had a transcript of that customer service call
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

taylorsmissbeehaven

I have had a blade on backwards more than once ::). It happens. I appreciate this thread as I am sawing Saturday and will be conscious of it in front of my customer! Last week I hit the clamp.....again. I've been sawing since 2010 and still have stuff happen from time to time. Smile and saw on my friend
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

maineshops

Be sure to laugh at yourself. When I ran the machine shop I would have an apprentice learn to weld blades. While "inspecting" the weld I would invert  the bleed and tell them they welded it backwards. Small blades so easy to flip them. Tell them to cut and get it rite. Repeat.

While on the subject does any of you folks silver solder your blades? I've tried it with little success but my eyes are getting bad so it might just be me. Dan
Phil:4, 13

WV Sawmiller

TT,

It was a very straight forward call. I told the customer service guy at WM I got 2 bands in the box that would not cut and he said just include them in the next box of resharps I sent back and they would replace them which they did. (For all I know they might have just flipped them back right side out and returned them.)

I don't know why he never thought to ask about turning them inside out. Maybe he was new at the job and a more experienced rep would have known to ask. To their credit there was no dispute or embarrassment and they were totally ready to make it right no matter what it took. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 21, 2022, 09:59:39 PM
Quote from: SawyerTed on September 21, 2022, 09:31:46 PM..........  We typically don't remind anybody about their mistakes until they occur 7 or 8 times.
We don't?! I didn't get that memo. Neither did the guys that keep 'mentioning' my alleged 'shortcomings'.  :D
You might not be "typical."   :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

terrifictimbersllc

So wv, Let me get this clear.You had them on the sawmill inside out, Thought the teeth were manufactured backwards and found out they didn't work?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 22, 2022, 09:41:07 AM
TT,

It was a very straight forward call. I told the customer service guy at WM I got 2 bands in the box that would not cut and he said just include them in the next box of resharps I sent back and they would replace them which they did. (For all I know they might have just flipped them back right side out and returned them.)

I don't know why he never thought to ask about turning them inside out. Maybe he was new at the job and a more experienced rep would have known to ask. To their credit there was no dispute or embarrassment and they were totally ready to make it right no matter what it took. ;)
You were very lucky that the rep was kind to you by not bruising your ego too badly.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!