iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber Prices?

Started by Kevin_H., November 01, 2003, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Does anyone else get the email from Rockler Woodworking?

I got one earlier this month stating they had a fantastic find...
six Appalachian Walnut boards, estimated at 40 years old, now this stuff is kiln dried and "nearly" clear...They are asking $8.00 a board foot.

Now I dont know if "Appalachain" walnut is something special, but come on $8.00 a Board Foot..

Maybe it's because it's 3" thick, but come on $8.00 a Board Foot.

These are the prices per board listed:

* 7" x 97" board, Price $121.60
* 11" x 99" board, Price $181.60
* 7" x 117" board,  Price $146.40
* 9-1/4" x 121" board, Price $186.40
* 9-1/4" x 108" board, Price $166.40
* 15" x 98" board, Price $244.80
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ARKANSAWYER

I got some "Ozark" walnut that I saw when I was 40 and I could be talked into letting it go for half that other stuff.  Mines pretty clear to as I hit very few nails.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Ron Wenrich

I asked a question about Appalachian red walnut several months ago.  No one ever heard of it, but one woodworker I know gave me the heads up on it.  Could this stuff be "Appalachian red walnut"?

Of course, Frank seems to get nearly those prices for pin oak.   :D :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kevin_H.

I'm not sure ron, maybe we need to find a pic?

But still $8.00 A board foot?

Hmm, I wonder if they need any So. IL Red Oak?

You know if I spent that kind of money of a pc. of wood I dont think I could bring my self to cut it up!
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

EZ

My neighbor bought 3 sheets of walnut plywood for $240.00 a sheet about a year ago. I told him, boy they really seen you coming. He was sawing the first sheet and the saw kick back and ruin the sheet. :-/
EZ

solidwoods

Kevin
40 yr walnut is prety young.  I would say street price America,,$4 -$6 per bf,,Rockler marks up plenty.

Overall $8bf is not high for valuable woods.

I have some 113yr pine from the attic floor of a house for $10bf.
Yea go price cabinet grade ply!
Check out one of the hot ones Bamboo Ply, it's 100-125 a sheet.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Frank_Pender

You are correct, Ron.  I just paid $18 a sheet for 1/2"  4 ply CDX on Friday.  I got a deal at that, it goes for $22 + right now, around here.  Some places can't even get the CDX 4 or 5 ply.  I just got $1,400 for 600 sq. ft. of 5/4 x 6 Wester Oregon White Oak. kiln dried. ;D  For some of my gunstock blanks that are 4" x 8" x 4' I have gotten up to $300 per blank. ;D  
Frank Pender

Ron Wenrich

Your gunstock blanks are over $28/bf.  Frank, you are the marketing wizard!   :D

Frank_Pender

No, Ron, I do not think that it is being a marketing wizard, just good fortune on some days.  If  :'(I was a marketing wizard I would not have any lumber laying around as I do.  I have several thousand feet of various species; Walnut, Maple (spalted), Fir, Cottonwood and Oak.
Frank Pender

bull

Supply and demand !!! If they need it they will buy it !!!
 And why shouldn't we reap the benifits...  8)
 If we in the wood buisness don't get whats rightfully ours
we could end up like the Dairy Farmers !!!
 Been there done that, and got the Hell out before I lost my shirt !!

Stephen_Wiley

How much would you pay for native Oregon Black Walnut?  ???
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Ron Wenrich

Isn't that an exotic species for Oregon?  All the dendrology books I've seen has the walnut range stopping on the western plains.  

SawInIt CA

I get $20-$30 a BF for walnut burl. Our cheapes is $4 a bf...Rustic grade ;D. I sell everything but gunstocks before it dries. Yes indeed...Supply and demand

Stephen_Wiley

Ron,

Yes, the dendrology books due show Juglans nigra in their native range. Their are several other varities with 'Black' characteristics. However, it was brought to my attention about 10 years ago - one tree found sporatically throughout the valley does not match the criteria described by published know spp., however it appears similar to Black Walnut.

Within a 45 mile radius of where I live I have been able to identify the following known species of Juglans  :

Hinds Walnut  hindsii - a variation of the California Walnut
California Walnut californica
Arizona Walnut major
Texas Walnut microcarp
Black Walnut nigra
Japanese Walnut ailantifolia

Their is also plenty English and a few Butternut.....but these were excluded in the study of the 'mystery' walnut growing here.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Kevin_H.

Maybe I'm just not doing a good enough job of marketing?

Might have to call the tree service back, He's got some cherry logs, says I can have'm for 50 cents a board foot.

Kirk_Allen

Kevin,
give me his number, Ill buy the cherry for that price!

Better yet, you buy them for .50 cents bf and I will buy them from you for .55 cents bf.  Everyone wins 8) 8)

solidwoods

Kevin

$500mbf sounds a little high, tree service (urban logs should be down graded for tramp metal). Are they big healthy sweeties for that price?
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

oakiemac

I just bought 954 bd ft Doyle scale for forest grown Cherry. I paid $.6/bdft. So far I've ran about 15% over scale. ;D
I think I'll make out all right on the deal. Some of the logs are small and crooked though.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Kevin_H.

Too busy sawing today to call, but the more I think about it the more I think I will take'em, Now If I just had the kiln!

oakiemac are you keeping the cherry or selling it?

Kirk, I think you've got enough already  ;D we need to spread it around a little more.

Duane_Moore

??? live in northern calif and walnut burls go high down here guys, gun stock dealers buy them up Quick, just cut 9- 73 year old walnuts down, grafted from black to calif walnuts, got one hellova price for the burls. roots and all.  still have about  7 burls in the wood shed, only 55 yrs old but big, they will go to friends for bowles and Ink pens and and turning,   Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

SawInIt CA

Duane I see you are only 2 hours from me. Do you have a mill?

Thank You Sponsors!