iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Prices per mbf

Started by 4x4American, August 31, 2014, 08:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Howdy all,

Wondering about what softwood is going for in your area per mbf for whatever grades.  One logger told me that I could get a load of softwood delivered for $250/mbf  and he could fit about 3000 feet in his truck.  Does that sound about right?
Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

prices are different all over. i can get 300 for big yellow pine and we haul about 4500ft on a tractor trailer.

are you the same 4x4 i know from another site?

jwilly3879

That's what the local mills are paying.

BargeMonkey

Depending on species, nice white pine and large good hemlock goes for a little more but your in the area.

Kodiakmac

Getting $450 for solid white cedar min. 9.5 in small end dia.  Small mill owner/operator squares it for log homes.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

jdtuttle

Recently paid $300.00 mbf for white pine delivered.
Have a great day

enigmaT120

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

4x4American

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on August 31, 2014, 02:54:27 PM
prices are different all over. i can get 300 for big yellow pine and we haul about 4500ft on a tractor trailer.

are you the same 4x4 i know from another site?

Dis sho ams the same 4x4 from AS
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I ended up getting some nice big pine sticks for $290/mbf from a log buyer down the road.
Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

bout as good a deal as yer gonna get i expect.

4x4American

yup.  This just in, my friend who manages 400 acres down south of here has a lot of old growth hardwoods/softwoods that he's having to remove because they're building a place there.  He said if I can figure out the trucking, I can have them, as opposed to having the place he works for pay to have them hauled off to a land fill.  I'm pretty stoked on it!  He was telling me about the giant pines/spruces he has that are just as straight as an arrow.  I have to figure out a log hauling trailer now.  Not much good for sale on the CL so far.
Boy, back in my day..

CCC4

4x4 ...you know the drill...pics of said OG timber! Why the Hell is he giving timber away? Are you doing the falling?

oops...I forgot my smiley face so ya don't think Im jumpin yer case  :)

4x4American

Quote from: CCC4 on January 06, 2015, 10:38:35 PM
4x4 ...you know the drill...pics of said OG timber! Why the Hell is he giving timber away? Are you doing the falling?

oops...I forgot my smiley face so ya don't think Im jumpin yer case  :)

I'm not askin no questions, but the place he works for is a fancy pants not for profit place, and the last thing they know about is selling timber.  I wish I was doing the falling!  The grounds crew there is I guess.  They're going to wait til it warms up a bit, I hope they don't wait til springtime.  See what happens.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I might can take a timber cruise one day there with my camera-phone and take some pictures.
Boy, back in my day..

enigmaT120

Let's hope they don't limb and buck it wrong and ruin your logs.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Dave Shepard

What scale are you buying on, Doyle? I was quoted $450 delivered Int. 1/4" for nice white pine in December.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CCC4

I have to ask what you are doing with the logs? Are you sawing them on the band saw in your profile pic? Dude...if so...timber as big as 150 year old hardwood is gonna wreck your mill...trust me on this! You need to get smaller, more production size material for your bandsaw.

Dave Shepard

150 year old hardwood probably isn't going to be as big in NY as it will be down your way.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

Well this evening I picked up my check when delivering a load of logs.  Got paid $13 MBF for #2 pine logs, yup $13, my wood, delivered, not contracted logging wood.  Me thinks I need to place a call Monday morning to the mill.  Either the marked died today or something was put wrong into the computer.  Made for a really sad check....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Looks like they moved the decimal point too far to the left. ::)

jwilly3879

$250/mbf delivered to the mill.

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 08, 2015, 04:09:44 PM
What scale are you buying on, Doyle? I was quoted $450 delivered Int. 1/4" for nice white pine in December.

international 1/4"
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: CCC4 on January 08, 2015, 04:31:23 PM
I have to ask what you are doing with the logs? Are you sawing them on the band saw in your profile pic? Dude...if so...timber as big as 150 year old hardwood is gonna wreck your mill...trust me on this! You need to get smaller, more production size material for your bandsaw.

Gonna saw em on my mill.  It was built for burly men not girly men, it'll be allright.  They're only bucked 8-9 footers anyways.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thewoodman

Chinese buying again at the moment. Esp  rubbish wood.
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

$75 per ton here for mixed wood/hardwood  pine 22-35 per ton depends on the logs. Took off last thursday and friday because of weather, got to the mill this morning and guess what ?????   i dont know whether to call it fairies or gremlins but someone left over 20000 ft of big mostly oak logs laying by the mill some are up to 40" so i ll have to split a few of them. I dont mind the 30" to bad but the 40"s are a pain Talked to the man im sawing for and he said loggers changed jobs and this track was going to run like this. I ll try to post some pics tomorrow
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

Quote from: 4x4American on January 12, 2015, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: Thewoodman on January 12, 2015, 04:26:24 AM
Chinese buying again at the moment. Esp  rubbish wood.

huh?
i assume low grade/ mixed wood cants and lumber

Philbo

White Pine is 275/250 for grades 1/2 respectively down this way.  Just checked the latest log sheet today.  We're hauling a fair bit of tulip/yellow poplar these days, which is up to 500 for grade 1. 

4x4American

Wow I didn't think tulip went for that much...tulip is one of my favorites to saw, in fact, that's a debarked tulip log on my mill in my avatar
Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

Quote from: 4x4American on January 12, 2015, 07:34:12 PM
Wow I didn't think tulip went for that much...tulip is one of my favorites to saw, in fact, that's a debarked tulip log on my mill in my avatar
gettin over 600 on a few really nice butts  ;)

4x4American

Holy smokes....if tulip did well up here I'd be planting it all over my property.  They grow pretty quick I believe, judging from how massive they get.
Boy, back in my day..

78NHTFY

....local mill here only buying spruce 16' for $ 260/M.  Not buying hemlock or pine.  But they like hardwood: Veneer Red Oak or Hard Maple 10' 6" pays $ 1300/M.  Select logs of same with 14" sm. end are $ 750/M.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

lynde37avery

Delivered price to the log yard I use in NH for red pine/white pine and Hemlock is $200mbf and spruce is $320mbf. My Trucker gets $75 per thousand bd ft.
Detroit WHAT?

treeslayer2003

Quote from: 4x4American on January 13, 2015, 01:03:52 PM
Holy smokes....if tulip did well up here I'd be planting it all over my property.  They grow pretty quick I believe, judging from how massive they get.
well, here a 50" poplar be around 80 years old........they are cleaner when younger and faster grown but trends lately have favored size above all else.

petefrom bearswamp

I can buy Hemlock for 300 / MBF Doyle here.
Haven't bought any White pine recently.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on January 13, 2015, 11:15:32 PM
well, here a 50" poplar be around 80 years old........they are cleaner when younger and faster grown but trends lately have favored size above all else.

yea that's pretty young, if you cornsider how old a 50" oak would be. 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on January 14, 2015, 10:19:42 AM
I can buy Hemlock for 300 / MBF Doyle here.
Haven't bought any White pine recently.

There's more Hemlock than pine out your way, no?  I know my friend who lives on Muller Hill there in DeRuyter has a whole stand of hemlock on one side of the hill and a stand of larch on his property.  Then over a ways on the same hill I think on state land there's a plantation of red pine
Boy, back in my day..

treeslayer2003

Quote from: 4x4American on January 15, 2015, 09:08:08 AM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on January 13, 2015, 11:15:32 PM

yea that's pretty young, if you cornsider how old a 50" oak would be.
depends on conditions...not all poplar will attain that size no matter what. i have cut 50" white oak not whole lot older going by the rings.........wich im not sure is 100%accurate. our timber does grow a little faster than yours, more southern climate.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: 4x4American on January 11, 2015, 08:05:11 PM
Quote from: CCC4 on January 08, 2015, 04:31:23 PM

Gonna saw em on my Timberking.  It's built tough, it'll be allright.  They're only bucked 8-9 footers anyways.

here is what we get at 75 per ton 

been sawing these on my b 20

Pete and Jesse

$50.00 a ton delivered for red pine, spruce, hemlock, white pine.

tule peak timber

An interesting thread to say the least . I'm buying white oak , tan oak , madrone ,cedar , almond and several types of walnut this month in truckload quantities . I'd like to post prices , but what I'm paying would label me crazy LOL. What a difference from coast to coast !  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sandsawmill14

all that matters is if you can make a living tule peak  smiley_thumbsup

tule peak timber

Sometimes I  wonder,,,, Thanks  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

4x4American

Well now you got me wondering, tule peak!

sandsawmill- are you having to do alot of widdling with the chainsaw?  hows the mill holding up?

treeslayer- yea up here the oaks grow slow.  I don't know how accurate the ring theory is either, but what else can we go by?  if a tree could talk I bet they'd have some crazy stories.... that'll be a different thread...back to the topic now...
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

4x4  yep some trimming required  ;D  the only problem ive had is we have to take the cant hooks and help the log turner on some of those 20"+ cants  i will trim up to about 38" any bigger and i just split em like the on in the pic
almost forgot i dont know how your mill is set up but if it has the jacks like the b 20  you had better just use them to level then block with heavy timbers in at leased 4 places (i use 7x9s) and take the jacks off  if you try to saw timber this size on jacks you will tear them off in short order     dont ask how i know :-[    logs this size are hard on any mill  a 40" dia red oak 9' long weighs almost 5000lbs :o  so just be careful !!!  have you ever worked in big timber or logs before?

4x4American

The biggest log I've had on this mill was a scarlet oak 16' long, idk the diameter, but I had my 660 with 36" bar buried on the big end had to walk it around.  the small end had to have been at least 30"  the customer insisted that i left it 16' long, I wanted to half it.  not sure what his plans were for 16' oak 5/4x12  they aren't going to dry very well.  oh well, he's the one paying me.  I found some nails in that one too.  On our mobile dimension mill back at the farm, we sawed alot of big wood.  The bossman got free wood from tree services, and they'd bring some big old hardwood yard trees.  he ended up getting a stihl 880 with a 5' bar to buck some of the logs we were getting, the 36" bar on his jonsered 2188 was just too small.  our equipment could barely handle some of the logs we got.  The other biggest log I had on the mill was a 32" tulip in my profile picture.  That's really about as big as I care to go with this mill.  It just beats up the bunks so bad.  My plan is for this OG stuff is to half em with chainsaw, I built a jig for my powersaw so I can stick that on it and get a pretty accurate cut down the middle.  There's a thread on that on as somewhere in the milling section.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

My friend sent me a picture of a cottonwood on the property, he put a shovel in front of it for size comparison.

Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

You might have to quarter that one to get it on the mill. :D

sandsawmill14

that cotton wood reminds me of some poplar trees my granddad gave dad to build a house and he never cut them  their on the back of the farm so i havent seen them since '93 or '94 and they were about 36" dbh then  think i might take a hike back there this weekend and take a look at them an maybe a pic  if storms hadnt got them

4x4American

I might have to quarter it to get it to the mill!

Would love to see em sandsawmill.
Boy, back in my day..

nas

Ya, my daughter has a shovel like that for her dolls ;D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

4x4American

Quote from: nas on January 16, 2015, 06:33:34 PM
Ya, my daughter has a shovel like that for her dolls ;D

Nick

I was hoping nobody would say anything! >:(
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Quote from: 4x4American on January 16, 2015, 04:03:16 PM
My friend sent me a picture of a cottonwood on the property, he put a shovel in front of it for size comparison.

And BIGfoot placed the shovel there too.   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Drew a load of EWP today for 180/mbf.  Most mills are buying for $250/mbf delivered.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Here's a big black cherry.  Hard to find it growing like this anymore.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!