iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Prices

Started by FarmingSawyer, February 15, 2015, 07:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarmingSawyer

What's everyone charging for Ash these days? Need to see if I'm in the ballpark....... near as I can figure ash logs, like the ones I'm harvesting are selling at $550/M
I often sell clear rough, green 4/4 ash at $1.00/bf. I've got a customer wanting some 3" x 12" ash and I'm thinking $1.50....... It's a small order--around 100bf. I like to be fair and not gouge....but I also need to make a living. Am I in the arena here?

My pricing goes.... $0.55/bf material "cost" to the mill + $0.35/bf milling rate = $0.90 + wide/thick board premium + Stacking, Handling, Sitting on the order til it gets picked up =$1.50......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

hunz

While I can't give you a definite on whether or not $1.50bd/ft is exact market price right now; I do think it's definitely a fair price. For 2x white oak trailer deck boards, I'm getting $1.75 b/ft due to most lengths being 14'+. It can be somewhat of a trick to get oak boards that long to butt up edge to edge for 15'. Ash is a tricky wood as well, or can be. Like a few guys on here say regularly, "I never lost money on a job I didn't get" Don't be shy about making money on a good product you produce.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

FarmingSawyer

Hunz, the scarcity of white oak in these parts would have it at triple that price! Wide, thick ash planks are rare here too, but only because no one is milling them. Ash is common enough, but for some reason no one wants to cut it. I've never had any problem with it other than those I've created for myself through bad, post-milling storage or in too much of a rush to use it green.

hunz

Hmmmm. I'm thinking maybe a trade of our timber supply is in order here. Haha. I just got back from New Hampshire, so I know what you mean about there being few white oaks. Ash is down here in WNC, just not plentiful.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

FarmingSawyer

Maybe I'll come down there for a visit and haul back a couple of WO logs....I could quarter saw them here and pay for my trip!!

Dave Shepard

Are you going to get multiple 3"x12" from one log? I think you will get a fair bit of bow from ash doing that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

FarmingSawyer

Dave, I'm thinking of taking a 3" flitch from either side of the pith, leaving a 4x4 around the pith. So, 2 slabs per log, the rest in 4/4, balancing the cuts to reduce stress and avoid as much cup as possible. The pieces only need to be 48" long for stair treads. I'd be milling them from 16-20" x 8'6" logs.

Evergreen Man

I'm trying to get ahold of Ash logs, but I don't know what to offer. The emerald ash bore is killing all the ash around my area so everyone's cutting it. but it either goes for firewood or to the big Sawmill. I'm thinking of offering $0.50 b/ft (in the log) but I don't really have a clue what I should offer. Any suggestions?
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Evergreen Man on February 16, 2015, 11:13:13 PM
I'm trying to get ahold of Ash logs, but I don't know what to offer. The emerald ash bore is killing all the ash around my area so everyone's cutting it. but it either goes for firewood or to the big Sawmill. I'm thinking of offering $0.50 b/ft (in the log) but I don't really have a clue what I should offer. Any suggestions?

Are there any log yards near you to visit? You could talk to them about finding someone to get you some logs or at very least you could get a price/spec sheet from them to know what to offer. $500/M is ballpark for grade logs around here I think.

Evergreen Man

My area is mostly cottage country, tourist or farming, there is logging going on but always as a side job, there is no "serious" log yards and the one's I have found are snowed in or busy and don't want to bother with my business. :)
I have to either Wait for spring or drive further ;D

Farmer Jim

I have been getting $800/mbf for prime Ash logs. #1 logs $600/mbf.
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."  J.B.Books

Evergreen Man

I'd give $1.50 a bf at the moment. Can't get anyone to even pick up the phone!! :D
Everyone is hiding from the SNOW :( lol

WellandportRob

Evergreen man if your willing to come down to Niagara we have lots.  I'm doing a cut right now with over 100 White ash.  For $1.50 a bdf  I saw it for you too.  And of course give the forestry form their percentage.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Evergreen Man

@WellandportRob
Tempting! lol but I wasn't being serious about the $1.50 lol but thanks for the offer. :)

Some one finally decided to get back to me but I'm new to some of the pricing terms, he wrote:

I have lots of Ash. All No.1's would be 775/m picked up and 850/m del'd.

Whats an M? would that mean MBF?

WellandportRob

Quote from: Evergreen Man on February 18, 2015, 06:09:32 PM
@WellandportRob
Tempting! lol but I wasn't being serious about the $1.50 lol but thanks for the offer. :)

Some one finally decided to get back to me but I'm new to some of the pricing terms, he wrote:

I have lots of Ash. All No.1's would be 775/m picked up and 850/m del'd.

Whats an M? would that mean MBF?
Yup that is per 1000 bdf.  If you're willing to pay the 775/mbf then I think you would be crazy not to give him 850 delivered.  Let me know how you make out.
2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Magicman

Quote from: Evergreen Man on February 18, 2015, 06:09:32 PMWhats an M? would that mean MBF? 
Just as information, log/lumber volume is stated in Roman numerals thus M=1000.
MM= one million.  The "M" was adopted under the influence of the Latin word mille "thousand".  The M is capitalized where the bf is not, thus; 2Mbf.

This is a bit confusing because the metric symbol for 1000 is K for kilo, but it is not used with logs/lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman,

You would be surprised at just how many M of logs have had in their official description, on a document filed with the court, the word Kilo, even Liter.   :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Evergreen Man

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2015, 07:37:35 PM
Quote from: Evergreen Man on February 18, 2015, 06:09:32 PMWhats an M? would that mean MBF? 
Just as information, log/lumber volume is stated in Roman numerals thus M=1000.
MM= one million.  The "M" was adopted under the influence of the Latin word mille "thousand".  The M is capitalized where the bf is not, thus; 2Mbf.

This is a bit confusing because the metric symbol for 1000 is K for kilo, but it is not used with logs/lumber.

Thanks for that MM I was wondering about that :)

Evergreen Man

For my next dumb question: 8)
He also sells a "mixed grade for 625/ Mbf
Problem is I don't really know how good No 1's are, maybe the mixed grade is good enough? I don't mind a few knots.
Maybe I'll just go for a drive and have a look, I kinda know what I'm looking at.

Thank You Sponsors!