iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My First Attempt ?

Started by pabst79, March 14, 2015, 11:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

Well after joining Forestry Forum a couple years ago, and reading all the fun stuff about sawing logs instead of just bucking them for firewood. I'm finally going to attempt to saw some stuff, maybe :laugh:
I have a mini mill and a friend is giving me an alaskan to use, I have been considering a Hudson or something similar, but can't justify that kinda money to just play around. So a chainsaw mill will have to do for now. I really want to know what tips you good folks have for me? Things I should and should NOT do  :D. I will be trying this with these white poplar logs I attached, I have the saws and ripping chain, but really have no idea what I'm doing, also not sure what I'm going to make, beams I guess? I figured for my first experiment I'd use softwood thinking it would be more forgiving? Well any advice would be appreciated.
Josh

[img width=640
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

drobertson

all I can say is my hat is off to all the CSM'ers out there,  there is a place for everything and every process, speeds and timing are so varied across this great land, I just don't know what to say, except make the dust fly!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Just bust um open and see what is inside.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

schmism

First project for me and my CSM was to split half a dozzen logs in half for fire ring benches,  and walk planks across my small creek.
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave H.

it may seem like alot of work(it is,lol) but  the reward will be worth it. first get a good straight guide board 2x8 or wider or an old aluminum ladder, or something similiar for your tracks.good prep work makes the rest alot easier.this is fairly hard on a saw(bigger is better) so take your ime and keep your chains sharp.

pabst79

I have an old ladder section I figure will be more true then lumber, is there a trick to filing ripping chain, or is it the same as chisel?  ???

lamimartin

Quote from: pabst79 on March 14, 2015, 11:46:12 AM
Well after joining Forestry Forum a couple years ago, and reading all the fun stuff about sawing logs instead of just bucking them for firewood. I'm finally going to attempt to saw some stuff, maybe :laugh:
I have a mini mill and a friend is giving me an alaskan to use, I have been considering a Hudson or something similar, but can't justify that kinda money to just play around. So a chainsaw mill will have to do for now. I really want to know what tips you good folks have for me? Things I should and should NOT do  :D. I will be trying this with these white poplar logs I attached, I have the saws and ripping chain, but really have no idea what I'm doing, also not sure what I'm going to make, beams I guess? I figured for my first experiment I'd use softwood thinking it would be more forgiving? Well any advice would be appreciated.
Josh

[img width=640
I see you have failry large diameter threes to mill into lumber. This requires a extra long chain bar and a chainsaw powerful enough to drive it.  Your chainsaw must be designed with a variable chain oil supply, otherwise the chain will quickly overheat and break prematurely. Using a RIPPING chain instead of a regular diagonal chisel will make the cut faster and cooler, if and only if you maintain your ripping chain sharpness regularly with light and accurate touches at 90 degrees. If sharpening is uneven, the cut won't be straight. In other words, you must have the equipment on hand for such frequent and accurate sharpening, that matches the accurate angle and file diameter of the chain teeth you have selected, such as a Grandberg file guide. Chisel and ripping chains have different sharpening angles. Ripping chains are not recommended and much slower than regular chains for crosscuts. Ripping chains are designed for milling only.

Because milling requires much longer time per cut than crosscutting, your chainsaw must be roughly twice the power, or it take forever for milling and may overheat to the point it fails. Typically, a chainsaw mill requires a 90cc /7HP chainsaw or better (standard for a Logosol M8 chainsaw mill like mine).

In short, if you only want to give it a try with a regular chain, it will take longer, get hotter, make a rougher cut and be tougher on your chainsaw than if you used a ripping chain.

Freshly cut wood is easier on any chainsaw. Dry or frozen wood is tougher. Dirty wood is to avoid at any cost for milling. I  clean the logs with a gas powered pump and a firehose if needed. I think the trailer you use is a great idea to keep the bark clean.

Have fun !
1964 Oliver 550 tractor, 41hp with custom loader and roof. Interforst SW6600 PTO driven 3tons winch. Stihl MS660 for Logosol M8 Sawmill and Stihl MS261 for firewood.

dboyt

As far as the chain goes, a 5 to 10 degree tooth angle works well.  Get a chain saw file guide that accommodates this.  Also, consider an auxiliary oiler for the tip of the bar.  Be prepared to do more milling and get more equipment!  Take your time and learn what you can from chain saw milling, then think about a band saw mill.  Once you start throwing sawdust, there's no turning back.  Good luck!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

pabst79

Thanks for the tips, I hope to get a start by the weekend. My guess is when then chain dulls I will give it my best at filing, if not baileys ships pretty quick  :laugh:.

Jim_Rogers

Plan your last cut first.
What I mean by that is figure out where you'll make your last cut and work you way up to your first cut.
When the logs are on the ground and you're making your last cut you maybe on your knees to push it through.

Place your "cut logs" that is the logs you're going to cut on top of other chunks of logs to raise up the cut log to a good "working height" so that when you do your last cut you're not on your knees pushing the bar through the log. Wedge your "cut log" so that it won't shift or roll on your base logs. Or cut some "v" notches in your base log to set the "cut log" into.

Your knees and back with thank you 10x over.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

YellowHammer

Get into the habit of filing routinely.  I used to touch up my chain every couple tanks of fuel.  It only takes a couple strokes with a file so it goes pretty fast if you sharpen before it gets dull.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

lamimartin

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 20, 2015, 12:00:56 AM
Get into the habit of filing routinely.  I used to touch up my chain every couple tanks of fuel.  It only takes a couple strokes with a file so it goes pretty fast if you sharpen before it gets dull.
YH
This practice of regular "touch up" will also avoid chain overheating, causing the chain oil to vanish, ending up into chain and bar  failure. A touch of prevention will prevent most potentially dramatic incidents.
1964 Oliver 550 tractor, 41hp with custom loader and roof. Interforst SW6600 PTO driven 3tons winch. Stihl MS660 for Logosol M8 Sawmill and Stihl MS261 for firewood.

pabst79

I must admit, this was more fun then I thought and the wife already has plans for me making campfire furniture for her.  :)  bon_fire  Now I just have to order some ripping chain for my 33" bar, I can see the 24" is only going to get me so far. 

tmarch

Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

thecfarm

Wife is happy,good for you.Post some pictures of the campfire furniture and we will be happy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!