iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 22, 2015, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I have something to get off my chest.  I wasn't sawing much in the last week or so.  In fact not at all for a while.  But I did use some lumber. 

And I did use my tape measure.

And I got my Logrite dirty tending the camp fire.

Promising to try to be better now.  To try to make up for things here is 2600 bf pine from yesterday.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sealark37

They say that even an honest man will tell a lie about the size of his fish and the BF that he sawed today, but you provided pics for proof.  Good work!     Regards, Clark

azmtnman

8) 8) 8) 8)
Nice fish!
  I'm not sure I would use my cant hook as a fire poker though!  :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Chuck White

I like the looks of that Brookie!

Haven't seen one that big in years, congrats!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Quote from: azmtnman on May 22, 2015, 01:00:14 PM
8) 8) 8) 8)
Nice fish!
  I'm not sure I would use my cant hook as a fire poker though!  :D

Nor that hookaroon.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stanwelch

Nice fish! 8). Wonder how a hookaroon would work as a gaff
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

WV Sawmiller

Sealark,

I didn't know it was lying when fish were involved. I thought it was mandatory to "embellish" a little.

TT,

Congrats on the fish. Looks like you had earned the break.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nomad

I'd be braggin about that brookie too!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Cedarman

I hear you can photoshop tape measures.

Nice fish!!!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

dgdrls

Everything,  no time to saw this year thus far,  (No logs or calls either)
Close to having sold-off all my inventory.
Between work and family (kids home from college,
planning a new home). I'm flat out with no saw dust in the near future.
Still glad to be able to visit here

Best DGDrls

Billbob

I would have to say that is the perfect use of lumber! :laugh:
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

FarmingSawyer

Not sawin my edging pile....or catching fish either. Too busy chasing the right boards to fill orders....

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm not sawing using my bandsawmill.
There's nothing wrong with it I'm just having fun making wide thick slabs on my chainsawmill!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WLC

If I could catch Brook Trout like that I wouldn't want to sawmill either.  Haven't seen one that big in years and years.  NICE!!!!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

slider

Jon you had better put your grand paws goggles on while running that thing.
al glenn

terrifictimbersllc

I'll be fishing this weekend again!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Where do you go?  Nice land lock by the way in the earlier photo.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

Terrific
Just curious how many hours you put in to get 2600 ft? Did you have a helper? Do you run an edger? What dimensions of lumber?
Just curious because I have the same exact mill as you and busted my but the other day to get 1200 feet done in 8 hours
What can I do better?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Just Right

When all else fails . . . . .fishing cures all!!!!!!  35 lb Amber Jack out of Mexico Beach FL last weekend.  And you are right. . . . . when fish are involved  . . . . .a lil' embelishment is expected!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

petefrom bearswamp

PAmizerman, I have often wondered about the volumes some of the guys report here too.
If I get 1500 or so of 4/4 in a long (7hr) day for me with a tail man I am doing extremely well.
I dont consider myself either inefficient or lazy.
to get the high volumes I would have to go at a dead run and have everything go perfectly.
One of these days I am going to try an efficiency study on my obviously poor sawing performance.
I must include though that when sawing Hemlock, getting around the shake takes up considerable time, and a lot of kindling and stickers are made.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Nice!  I've fished Mexico beach, great fishing and scalloping.  The beach run into the little inlet is fun, too.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Just Right

YH I've been fishing there for about 15 years.  Got a great guy I go with.  Always a great time.  We haven't done the scalloping thing though.  Always go out for the fishies.  Years ago when you could get a boat load at a time we would bring in 300 lbs of everything.  Now the seasons have changed all of that and its almost a boat ride and time to drink beer with the boys.  Either way. . . . . it ain't working!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside logger on May 01, 2018, 09:59:05 PM
Where do you go?  Nice land lock by the way in the earlier photo.  
Pix above several years ago now from Mooselookmeguntic lake near Rangely Maine, we stay at the Cupsuptic Lake campground.
My May 1 2018 comment was referring to going to the Farmington River, CT, near Pleasant Valley, we stay at pretty nice little cabins in the American Legion state forest just above there. 

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: PAmizerman on May 01, 2018, 11:01:28 PM
Terrific
Just curious how many hours you put in to get 2600 ft? Did you have a helper? Do you run an edger? What dimensions of lumber?
Just curious because I have the same exact mill as you and busted my but the other day to get 1200 feet done in 8 hours
What can I do better?

Looks like you are quoting me from  my OP above May 2015.    Repeat customer, one helper, ready logs, excavator to replenish log pile, sometimes I step in with heavy waste slab but mostly saw and tend to mill. Might help with rolling on the next log.   Full size dimensional lumber, 2x6 2x4 and 1x10,  looked back at my notes, 2609 bf actual lumber count.  No edger.  Looked at my invoice 9.4 hours charged, I mark my time from arrival to departure less breaks/down time.

By coincidence, I am going there today and need to get on the road in 10 minutes.  :D

Chuck White

With a couple of tailmen and an edger, there's really no reason you couldn't put out 3,000 bf in a day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

With a steady stream of logs to the mill and a couple of tailers I usually put up just shy of 2500 feet in a day, I have not had the chance to run a full day yet with help and the edger to see how much of a difference that will make.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

paul case

On our '13 LT 40 shd e25 my son Scott working alone can easily saw out 120 3x4-10' cants and some 4/4 lumber from the sides in 7 hours.  I think it works out to be about 1500 ft. using the dragback and banding and moving slabs, lumber and loading logs 4 at a time. I can tell he is doing something. 

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 19, 2018, 05:35:49 AMBy coincidence, I am going there today and need to get on the road in 10 minutes.  

Reporting out, 2632 international pine logs 10-15 ft, 2312 board feet 1x10's and 2x4's.  

Slabbed heavy to get rid of some punky wood and a lot of blue stain.  One helper, logs were staged, 7 hr charged time, 5.5 mill hours.  I used 4 10 degree blades, one of them hit metal early. 

Crossroads

I'm bad, I don't typically keep track of board footage since I charge by the hour. Sometimes I scale logs before I start, but typically when I get done chasing the head back and forth at the end of the day. The last thing I want to do is count boards. I've had customers count the boards while I'm tearing the mill down and I'll take note of what they tell me though. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Banjo picker

I am not sawing anything as I had eye surgery last Wednesday, but my mill sawed out a walnut mantle for a guy.  He asked me maybe 6 months ago about doing it.... haven't heard a thing from him then he shows up at the house with a fairly nice log on a trailer.  I can get out and walk as long as I keep my head looking at the ground so I let him unload it off his trailer with my knuckle boom.  I had to coach him as he had never run one before.

Gets back to the house and I'm writing down what he wants and he needs it next week.  At first I said that ain't happening.  But then I thought I would ask my son Bobby if he would cut it for him and he said he would.  So he cut it for him Sunday afternoon and he picked it up yesterday ( Monday)

Bobby hadn't run the mill in 9 or 10 years, but it turned out alright.  I got one more day to keep my head down and then go back to my dr that did the surgery Thursday.  Starting to get a little vision in my right eye.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

KenMac

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 17, 2019, 04:23:36 PM
I am not sawing anything as I had eye surgery last Wednesday, but my mill sawed out a walnut mantle for a guy.  He asked me maybe 6 months ago about doing it.... haven't heard a thing from him then he shows up at the house with a fairly nice log on a trailer.  I can get out and walk as long as I keep my head looking at the ground so I let him unload it off his trailer with my knuckle boom.  I had to coach him as he had never run one before.

Gets back to the house and I'm writing down what he wants and he needs it next week.  At first I said that ain't happening.  But then I thought I would ask my son Bobby if he would cut it for him and he said he would.  So he cut it for him Sunday afternoon and he picked it up yesterday ( Monday)

Bobby hadn't run the mill in 9 or 10 years, but it turned out alright.  I got one more day to keep my head down and then go back to my dr that did the surgery Thursday.  Starting to get a little vision in my right eye.  Banjo
Glad to hear your vision is returning! I pray that all will be good very soon.
BTW, I'm not sawing much that pays!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

sawmilllawyer

Sounds like macular surgery to me. I could be wrong. Anyway do what the Dr. says and get your sight back!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Southside

Banjo - if that man ran a knuckle boom under those conditions then I would consider hiring him on.  That's one heck of a job interview.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jim_Rogers

I'm not sawing a 6" thick by 18" wide by 64" long with one live edge red oak mantle.
The customer can't see to get it through his head that I don't have a log big enough to make that size piece.
And I don't have any way to move it off the mill once cut, if I did.
I told him of the weight but he doesn't seem to understand this at all.

I've given him the phone number of two other mills with wide cut capabilities but he just keeps calling me.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Nebraska

No big fish here, just couldn't resist taking the picture after the little bull calf was on the ground. Some parts of my job are pretty cool, some aren't,

but I'm still pretty blessed.

Southside

Good looking pair there.  Hard calving? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

Definitely a neat picture f the little man.  My ole man ran a heard 0f 30 brood cows.  Registered black angus with blood lines from Mississippi State University.  Folks came from near and far to get heifers and young bulls for breeding.
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on May 18, 2018, 09:05:50 AM
PAmizerman, I have often wondered about the volumes some of the guys report here too.
If I get 1500 or so of 4/4 in a long (7hr) day for me with a tail man I am doing extremely well.
I dont consider myself either inefficient or lazy.
to get the high volumes I would have to go at a dead run and have everything go perfectly.
One of these days I am going to try an efficiency study on my obviously poor sawing performance.
I must include though that when sawing Hemlock, getting around the shake takes up considerable time, and a lot of kindling and stickers are made.
If I can do what your doing at 81, I will be very happy. If you really want to see efficient watch Linda.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9VWCbHKtg&list=PLFLcYLc7UqWippI2D26Y0lwM8Dvj_u3Fc&index=10&t=0s
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Sixacresand

Today, the first day since May, I won't be milling when it is too hot.  PTL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Old Greenhorn

Holy cow! That gal sure doesn't need to go to the gym! :D She is a working machine, and the other two fellas are no slouches either. I sure hope they are making good money, they certainly earned it!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

I think I have seen videos of her before. That woman is dangerous! She is about to work those other two men to death! :D Her husband could at least get her a longer Logrite to load those heavy logs with though.

One thing to note is there is no wasted motion. With every step she is accomplishing something.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 19, 2019, 08:57:32 AMWith every step she is accomplishing something.
I think she is accomplishing two or three things with every step. Poetry in motion, along with a lot of focus. You can't really teach that, at least not anymore.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

Watching her is like watching a really good waitress at work. Every step is productive whether bringing food, removing dishes, filling tea or water glasses, dropping off tickets, etc. And they have eyes like eagles and the best situational awareness on the planet. They handle multiple tables and know the status of every one of their customers at all times. This lady looks to be the same way whether loading a log, tossing  a knot or edging or slab on the scrap pile, whacking the end off a board, measuring and adjusting the edger then sending flitches in for trimming, etc. And take note how as she slides the boards and flitches off the cant she nonchalantly flips them a few times knocking most of the sawdust off them in the process. Every step produces something of value.
Howard Green

Dana Stanley

She has her own Youtube channel devoted to her family mill. The first video I saw of her was astounding, but she has a lot and I didn't have time to look for it this morning. I thought she was in her late 20s, but she is a bit older than that! I tried to show that to my wife, just a suggestion right! She ain't having no part of it. I guess tending to 2 horses is enough. ;D My grandson Joe moved to PA so I'm on my own, until next year when my younger grandson Jaxon is big enough.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Magicman

I believe that video is FF Member, Electric Al's shop with his wife Linda and their son.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

After watching her I got tired and had to take a nap she is one working lady
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dana Stanley on September 19, 2019, 06:25:29 PM
She has her own Youtube channel devoted to her family mill. The first video I saw of her was astounding, but she has a lot and I didn't have time to look for it this morning. I thought she was in her late 20s, but she is a bit older than that! I tried to show that to my wife, just a suggestion right! She ain't having no part of it. I guess tending to 2 horses is enough. ;D My grandson Joe moved to PA so I'm on my own, until next year when my younger grandson Jaxon is big enough.
Dana,

Yeah she may look to be in her late 20's but apparently that is her grown son on the tail end of the project catching the boards off the edger and such. I guess all that hard work keeps her young and vigorous.  :D She is my inspiration but don't tell my wife. ;)
Howard Green

Brad_bb

I knew just from two comments that ya'll were talking about Linda's sawmill (the youtube channel name).  Yeah, I think she could work rings around many of us.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Peter Drouin

She is a worker. The men are in her way.
Quote from: Brad_bb on September 21, 2019, 10:34:16 PM
 I think she could work rings around many of us.
Speaking for your self I hope. :D :D ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rjwoelk

Brad you stepped into that one.  :D :D :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

Oh, I won't argue that one.  I'm lazy by nature  ;D

btulloh

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 22, 2019, 11:29:45 AM
Oh, I won't argue that one.  I'm lazy by nature  ;D
I think you meant to say you are lazy EFFICIENT by nature.   :D  There aren't any lazy people running a chainsaw mill or a manual sawmill (or a hydraulic mill for that matter).
HM126

Magicman

Very true!  I tell customers that I might be lame, cripple, and crazy.....but I ain't lazy.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I tell them the same thing MM
Be a big guy my whole life but never been lazy. 
Folks associate fat with lazy sometimes
Fat I am lazy I'm not.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

My nature would be lazy if I wasn't working.  Truthfully I take my share of time off recovering from milling etc.

The last two weeks I've been NOT sawing this. I have been sorting the stack on the left, into firewood logs, beam logs, board logs, and brace stock logs.  I was also trimming thumbs and bucking to lengths I wanted.  Stack on the right are beam logs.  The left stack probably started out over 100 feet long.  I cleared all the way through it in 8 days.  I occasionally had to do some other things, like pull a whopper log out of the woods with two log arches, a skid steer and a helper.

This is the firewood stack that was to the right of the other two stacks.  I put an ad on Craigslist for free firewood logs at 11 pm and had probably 10 calls by 10am and 6 of them showed up that day, including a guy with a 32 foot gooseneck trailer.  He's coming back next week to get loaded again, then all the firewood logs will be gone.

I calculated that it will take me 2-3 months full time to mill all the logs in the yard, which might actually mean 4 months.  :o   All these trees - 95 percent dead Ash, came off this property.  The tree crew cut them down and another hired guy on the skid steer and grapple would fetch them and stack them in the pile.  All the sorted log piles are now at the edge of the gravel driveway so when it starts raining and ground turns to soft mud, you can drive straight in with the tracked skid steer and back out with logs and not have to turn on mud.  The tracks don't pick up any mud when driving staight.

Old Greenhorn

Looks to me like you are working pretty hard for a guy that is 'taking time off'. Every time I am not 'doing' something that produces a result I feel like I am goofing off and lazy. But those chores are important to the end goal also if I would let myself admit it. I am glad to see I am not the only guy that spends time sorting and organizing and thinking things through.
 Last night I did some pick axe work trying to smooth out a new spot to re-locate the mill to. It is slow hard work for me and I feel like I got little more done than got it started. I quit at dark. Still, it is work. 
 If this is your idea of lazy, I am glad you can't see mine. ;D

Nebraska

Got the siding finished on the shed it has  two coats of Viking paint, Ive made a little progress on my spot
since the first piece of locust firewood I tried cutting. Its attached  to the wall in the shed with my family's brand on it. Next year hopefully the old cattle behind the mill will get matching siding and my old barn will get recycled.

East ky logging

Good looking shed. I've not been sawing anything been staining everything for the last week or so. I finally got done this evening I think I've stained everything on the place except for the dogs. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Southside

Very nice shed! The roof line on your old barn looks straight. Is it timber framed? 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

No timber frame, built out of circle sawn cotton wood and whatever odds and ends they could find. (The finest of "Swedish" construction, all the odd stuff they could scavenge or saved) They built bulk bins out of fir flooring and fancy bead board. The back half of the barn had the foundation rooted out of it by hogs before I got here and is beyond fixing.. The only reason it's still here is I want to dismantle it because of the old stuff in it. If the foundation was good it would have gone to the front of the line in the game of projects, with at least a steel skin added  to it. I 've buddies with excavators that could squash it down in a matter of minutes. I've no shortage of projects it's replacement is a round top Sears barn in storage.i think this barn is a 20's or thirties vintage.  My house on the original side was square nailed so it's pre 1880,  sometime shortly after that was when the local lumber yards got modern round wire nails

Nebraska

@Southside Here is picture of a similar Sears barn. It's the same size as my trusses will build. Plan is 3 ft block stubwall foundation to give 10 ft ceiling heighth, lean on each side. Board siding same as saw shed. 

My trusses only have a seven foot sidewalls this barn looks taller. Hope to have it done by the time I'm 60.

alan gage

Well it looks like another year is going to go by without me sawing my big stack of bur oak, walnut, maple, and elm. Once again my real job, other projects, and life kept me from spending as much time at the mill as I wanted. Not a complete loss though as I got to use a lot of lumber I sawed last summer as well as milling up a bunch of spruce logs and cedar utility poles to build a new wood shop for myself. But the pretty hard woods will have to wait a bit longer.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Jim_Rogers

Well, I'm not sawing anything for a while.

Wednesday, I hooked my mill up to my current ride and and hauled it out of my sawmill yard for the first time in a very long time.

I hauled it out to an engine repair shop where I bought this second engine on my 1994 sawmill some 18 years ago.
Yesterday, they gave me the bad news.
The engine was dead as it has sucked a valve or something like that and had beat up the block.

I will be upgrading to a new 25 hp Kohler that will be installed by WM Maine once they get an engine in.
I was given a time estimate of 2 weeks to a month, if I waited to have it shipped via their truck.
I selected to have it shipped by freight truck instead hoping to get it in sooner. We'll have to wait and see.
They have one engine to prepare and send out before mine is ready to ship. And with the staff at the plant on reduced work force, it may take some time.
I guess I may start making some of Bruno of NH's planter boxes with on hand lumber to sell while I'm waiting.
Jim Rogers

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this Jim
Hope they send it out quickly. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

Total bummer Jim!  Did you get your money's worth out of the old engine?

97redjeep

Did a little SXS logging last night, couple weeks and I can get my toes wet. 

My ass, Baby, wondering what the heck I'm doing lol not sure how to rotate pics yet. 
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, was one week since I ordered my new engine. No progress on my order yet.

Jim Rogers

DennisK

Can you talk to a good cylinder head machine shop and get an oversized valve seat installed?

KenMac

My business is picking up, but I'm not sawing any ERC or white oak. I can't find any logs locally or reasonably accessible. >:(
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Jim_Rogers

On my invoice, that I got by email, it said if you have any questions about your order call this number......
So yesterday, I called that number. I got a customer service guy working from home and he said he had no way to know if my order was being worked on or not.
And I asked if the engine on order before my order had been shipped out so that I could know if I was next.
He said he'd try and find out and let me know, by email or phone call.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I got an email this morning that my engine has been shipped.

Wow, great news. I wonder how long it will take to get to Maine?

Jim Rogers

trimguy

Still not sawing anything since I wrecked the frame on my mill. But this is giving me a chance to get some of the other stuff done that I need to do before I pick up my new Lt40 next Friday. 8) 8)

Jim_Rogers

I got a call from WM Maine on Friday at noon. They said they tracked my engine to a terminal in Portland and should be at their shop very soon.
I'm planning on hauling my mill up there on Monday.
So @thecfarm you'll need to keep an eye out for me if you want to see a mill on the road ;D
Jim Rogers

Magicman

That is good to hear Jim so you will soon be sawing again.

I got a call from the hydraulic cylinder shop saying that my cylinders are ready, so I will pick them up early Monday morning.  We will have them on and be back to sawing in short order.  ;D

thecfarm

I am so busy at the hardware store I won't notice if 20 go by.  :o  We are short on help. We ran the store with 3 people for 3 weeks.  ::)    :o   :o
Just had one quit. We do have 5 there now. Should have 7. We are blowing quota by at least $2000 each day and some days even $3000.  Can you say busy!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Yep.  People stuck at home and not working can think of all sorts of things they want to build.  Banjo

SawyerTed

I cut rafters, sheathing boards, lean-to shed headers, siding for garden sheds, mantles, lumber for raised beds, and live edge "floating" shelves for "bored" stay at home people.  They take a lot of time because they don't buy rough cut sawmill lumber very often.

One guy started out wanting 4x4s and 2x8s to build a raised bed garden.  He came by the mill and I spent an hour redesigning with him so he could use 5/4 lumber because 2x8 was bigger than he thought!  :D :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

farmfromkansas

Nebraska, is the old barn in the pic of your mill shed the one you are writing about?  I also have a old barn in bad shape, use it to store lumber, but when it was built, the foundation was poured so cheap, it is broken up and leaning.  They mixed concrete and put in forms with big sand rocks and no rebar, so the things lean where it cracks.  If I were younger, would consider replacing a piece of the foundation at a time, but not up to it any more. Still like to work, just can't handle tough jobs.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

bigblockyeti

I know this is a bit of a necro post but I'm not sawing many logs that I could be at my parents place.  They tired of living in the middle of nowhere and despite constant new projects up into the beginning of 2022 they chose to move from 12 acres of heavy woods to a retirement community where a service takes care of their 1/20th acre lot.  I knew it was coming as they got on a waiting list in the middle of 2021 with an expect wait time of 3-4 years, I guess residents were "vacating" faster than expected.  I got my mill in 5/21 and the long term goal was to leave it at their place and easily cut up 4000-8000 bdft over a couple years.  I was able to get a couple Ø20" black cherry trees felled and hauled off before the house was listed but a dozen or so black walnut, 20 white oak, 6 eastern red cedar, half a forest of hackberry and more red oak and tulip poplar than you can shake a stick at conveyed with the sale.  Grandma not letting me cut 300 cedar from her golf course after she sold it and was allowed to remove any/everything from the property as it was to be turned into scorched earth didn't sit too well either.  She "liked the way they looked" even those well beyond what could be seen so they were deemed off limits.  I should have just cut what she couldn't see and would have never known about but it could have turned into quite a project I couldn't have simply hidden from her.

beenthere

bby
Is that also the land you were thinking about for the cellular trail cam?

Bummer to lose that potential harvest for your milling.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bigblockyeti

No, that's my property.  Mom & dad lived at their place full time with gates at both drive entrances & their builder was three houses (1/2 mile) down the road so security there was a non-issue.  I'm at my property every 2-3 days to 3-4 weeks depending on how busy I am.

It was a bitter pill to swallow but my only recourse was buying the place from them, likely for a very good deal but wife's job, kids in school and the pain that comes with every move killed that idea before it got off the ground.  I just need to hook up with some tree services around here that can let me know when they've got a good log or two that needs disposal.

WV Sawmiller

In my case today it was 800 total 6' long pressure treated 8" diameter posts like the road department uses to put guardrails up with. They won't fit in his post driver and he needs them trimmed down a little over an inch. It would only take 1-2 passes and I could probably do them 2 at a time. I was all set to do the job then I remembered pressure treated is generally a real no-no and told the guy I was sorry but I was going to pass on this one.

Has anybody ever sawed PT posts with good results?

Howard Green

Magicman

I would also pass on sawing pressure treated material.

Jim_Rogers

Soon after I got my sawmill, back in 1994, the local golf course wanted some 6x6 pressure treated cut in half to make two pieces 3x6 for a bridge deck. The needed these pieces to be spaced out so that the sunlight could filter through to the swap area below the bridge.
I called WM and asked what advice could they give me.
They said just use a regular blade, but to wear a dust mask to no inhale any treated sawdust.

I did the job, and I made them haul away the sawdust that I bagged up for them.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

The center of pressure treated lumber has the least amount of "treatment", same as treated utility poles.  Open um up and you can expect the exposed center to rot first.

jpassardi

Probably best you passed on it though I believe they have to use a less harmful preservative in it now. I'd pass rather than risk inhaling the dust.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!