iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baby steps

Started by nektreeworks, October 25, 2015, 10:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nektreeworks

Quote from: terry f on October 27, 2015, 04:34:25 PM
   A sixteen year old pulling a log with a 8N is a recipe for disaster, even though its probably been done by most of the members here. I would think a old skidder with no winch and bald tires would still be a better choice for about the same money, or even a old pickup.
Since my old pickup ended up rolled over in a swamp about two months ago I'm out on that option haha. That being said, it also taught me a lot about balance and taking things slow. Thank you for your input though! I would like to provide a little bit of background on myself. I am in my first year in the two year forestry program at my local high school. We log with tractors (although a bit bigger than an old ford) and have logged off and on for a friend over the last couple years. Mainly what I do myself is little work for driveway clearing and things like that up up camps and such. Although lately I have been finding myself in situations where even a little tractor like the 8n would be adequate to pull logs where I am working. These aren't rocky or hilly stretches, they are fairly straight and flat places. It's just enough for me to get started until I am able to start work back up in the summer and look for something a little bit bigger and better. I appreciate all of your comments and appreciate your concerns for my safety and I definitely planned on adding things such as a ROPS and seatbelt. thank you all again,
         Riley

SAnVA

Hey, 8n Fords have done lots of small scale logging in my area by farmers and people on a small budget. You can find a decent one in my area for $1500 -$2000 but if you could swing it I would recommend a 35 or 135 Ferguson and a decent one in my area can be had for around $3000 just more weight, better gearing, power steering is a big plus but you will be steering with brakes a lot, I have a 1967 135 MF and use it with a shortened boom pole with log tongs just keep your lift as low as possible and keep your hand on the lift lever at all times and stay within your tractors limits, which you will learn very quickly! Be careful!

Puffergas

About every other year some dies from a tractor roll over around here. Most of the time brush hogging too close to a ditch. A few years ago an ATV roll got somebody. PTO got a gal's hair, tore the scalp off. If the tractor don't get yah the chain saw will.

This is the anti nose over design that I need to keep working on. Maybe when the snow piles up.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

nektreeworks

Thanks again everyone for the help. I appreciate the input and I certainly am taking everything in and am looking over my options to see what I can get for a set up. It's so great to have people nice enough to help someone just getting started

Maine logger88

I'm with kiko on this one I have twitched wood with bigger tractors and that's dangerous enough. The 8n or similar tractors are probably the most dangerous thing to pull wood with If you decide to go that route then pull light loads and always have your foot on the clutch. But for what they get for those things you could get a bigger safer machine
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

donny hochstetler

I don't want to discourage someone for pursuing a dream ; especialy some  young guy;  but be very very careful  ; just about every post on here says either not to do it or b  careful its not a matter of if something will happen its a matter of when and if you will be lucky or not; many have had close calls n have lived for another day ; many have not  ; just my thoughts  I have never skidded with a tractor but have run about every cable machine out there ; I'm running a 640d deere n like it very well ; 30 yrs in da woods you get to c the ugly as well as the good; the good far outweighs the ugly;  helped load up my dad one day; we thought he was dead; but he pulled through;  never been the same since; b careful; lad

Thank You Sponsors!