iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paint Job and outrigger mods

Started by flatrock58, December 18, 2015, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Well I have been wanting to paint my WM bed since I bought it.  It had a lot of surface rust.  While I had it apart painting I decided to put a new screw type jack on the front and modify the other outriggers to have two pins for finer adjustment.  I just need to finish making the pins for 4 of the outriggers.  It looks like it will work good for now.  I might put screw jacks all around some day.

I guess I will finish painting when it warms up this spring.

Front outrigger has two holes one for travel and one for sawing.

Two pins make for finer adjustment.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

You will like the screw jack mod.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

larrydown60

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Knute

Looks good.. What paint did you use?

barbender

Hmm...that paint looks great! I'd like to paint mine someday, I'd like to k ow what paint you used as well.
Too many irons in the fire

Outer Rondacker

Brand and color code of paint please. Looks good.

flatrock58

Thanks guys.  I used Tractor supply Kubota orange.  It is different than the WM orange if they are side by side but the one gallon is cheap and easy to get.  I made the mistake of not putting in the hardener so it took a while to dry.  Time will tell if it holds up.  The saw head and mast will be a big job painting in the spring.  I didn't really care if it was faded or not, I just had some surface rust that needed to be addressed.

The two pin mod came from Dangerous Dan and the front adjustable outrigger idea came from Ga Mtn Man.

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Andries

Flatrock - that new paint looks great.
I'm now inspired to paint mine as well.
Did you have to spend many hours with a wire wheel to get the surface rust off, or did you use something else like a sandblaster?
Another question, can you adjust the screw jacks so that the top is below the mill bed - otherwise a long log would hang up on them, no?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Nice color.  If you add hardener, do you have to use it all up or can you still store the leftovers?  Did you brush it on or use a sprayer?  Now you need to paint the wheel rims! ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

flatrock58

Andries 
I used a wire wheel on a grinder to get the rust off.  Where it was really bad I used Ospho, but mostly just primed and painted.  As you can see in the picture when folded down the handle on the jack is not in the way.  Some others removed the handle and replaced it with a large nut.  The jack has an outer square pipe and two inner square pipes.  I ended up cutting off 4" from the two inner square pipes to get it to work like I wanted. 

ljohnsaw
It was cheaper to buy the paint by the gallon.  You can just mix up what you need from the gallon and add hardener.  After the hardener is added I don't think you can store the left over paint.  I did use a few cans of the spray paint at first, but it was not going very far so I went with the gallon and thinned it for the sprayer.

6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

flatrock58

I got the wheels and tires from a guy at the army base.  Had a blowout when bringing the mill home and needed something fast.  Are you saying the colors clash?
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Kbeitz

I would never use hardener on a working machine.
Hardener makes things shine but a hard bump will crack and chip the paint.
It might take yours longer to dry but it will last longer.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

flatrock58

That is good to know Kbeitz.  I was gone out of the country a few weeks so it had time to dry.  Otherwise it is really slow.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!