The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Daily Fabrication Thread  (Read 70298 times)

Offline Ventryjr

• Share Post
    • The Rusty Mill
Re: Daily Fabrication Thread
« Reply #740 on: June 19, 2021, 05:38:40 AM »
Realize that the unit can winch in 12k but it can only drag 6k by the load holding brake.  So dont go dragging the logs with the machine while the winch motor is not powered up. Ive killer a brake that way and its a full teardown.

What are you mounting that on?
Im not going to drag with the winch. My idea for it is to be able to drop next to a tree. Chain the skid I made to the tree and winch from that point. Also be able to move around the woods w/ forks on any piece of equipment.  I initially thought I would put 2 handles on it and make it a 2 man carry. But I think its weighing in around 400lbs currently so no man powered carrying lol  Basically My plan is to use this when Im either stuck or have a log I can drag out with the skid steer due to space.  I also picked up the harbor freight tree strap and snatch block.  Going to give it all a spin today. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #741 on: June 19, 2021, 09:13:45 AM »

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

I had hoped it would work as a vibratory sheepsfoot for compacting clay but im not impressed so far.  

Had doubts from the start and hedged my bets by clocking the pucks 90* different so that theyd work as a rotary pulverizer also.  Need something that can prepare a seedbed, strip sod and so forth.  
how did that end up working mike? I have been wanting to build one of those for a very long time. especially since my ground is all clay and the only time it ever seems to break up is when its to hard and dry to do anything with.

edit: 
I see its just a vibratory one you do not have the roller part powered. that would be an easy fix with the right gearbox.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #742 on: June 19, 2021, 10:32:27 AM »
@Ventryjr  

I hate to rain on your parade but ive done what youre doing.  The 2 batteries will be deeply discharged in short order and permanently harmed unless theyre deep cycle.   I have a pair of 925cca group 31 semi batteries on my old kubota for an 8k winch and the 10 amp generator cant keep them up.. Tractor wont start after heavy winching and i need to put on an alternator.   The bobcat also uses dual 925cca's with this winch and a 65amp 12si and it is okay.  

When the winch cable pulls, pauses and pulls again even though you didnt let off the button you better stop for the day.  Its the voltage getting dragged down too low for the switching contactor magnetism to hold against the return springs.  As the voltage drops the amp draw rises and the copper contacts inside will arc.  They can melt, weld in the on position and catch fire.  Listen close for solenoid clacking.
Psalm 37:16

Offline Ventryjr

• Share Post
    • The Rusty Mill
« Reply #743 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
@mike_belben thats what I put on it was 2 group 31s.  I didnt think about the voltage drop/contactor issue. Do you think 2-6v scissor lift batteries would work better? I have access to refurbs batteries very cheap. I could also wire up a quick connect charging setup to my ctl and tractor. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #744 on: June 19, 2021, 12:31:07 PM »
I ran old arc stinger cables up my boom to anderson connectors and its been flawless.  Everything in the yard has andersons so the bobcat was a mobile jumper box until i bent a valve. I also have some really long 2awg jumpers with welding clamps and an anderson so i can charge anything off the bobcat or run the receiver winch off anything with a 2" hitch and a battery/alt.  

@Crusarius 

That frame is just a vibratory roller.   the smooth drum works good on dry loose clay as a smoother but not really any compaction gained.  The sheepfoot just disturbed dry clay and i havent had a chance to try on wetter stuff that it may work okay on.  Sheepfoot did do surprisingly well as a clodbuster, breaking up big, dry bowling balls into granules that will spread better.

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #745 on: June 21, 2021, 04:20:55 PM »
I decided to put together a new welding and layout table for my little little log cabin machine shop (not to be confused with "Log Cabin Republicans", LOL).

Out in the main shop I have a nice 4' x 8' steel table (seen in the first pic), but in the machine shop the welding table consisted of a 24" square plate of 1/2" steel that sat on a couple of wood saw horses.

At an auction I picked up some cast iron legs that came off of a piece of industrial equipment, and a local scrap yard had a nice piece of 3' x 4' steel plate in 3/4" thickness. I had some nice heavy steel casters left over from a different acquisition a number of years ago that were also allocated to the project.

I decided to install the legs in a splayed out position in order to allow me more external room for clamping at the top, yet not sacrifice stability. This also allows good room for me to sit on a tall stool while TIG welding.  Some wedges were made to take care of the leg angles.

The top was drilled and tapped so as to be able to bolt the leg assemblies in place.  Bevel washers were used to keep the bolt head alignment in the proper plane.

Today I took delivery of a 16mm annular cutter for my mag drill so that I can drill the top for some Bessey style clamps. I'm pleased with how it came out. It's nice and tall so I don't have to bend over when using the MIG or stick, and a stool works fine for TIG work. It is very stable too. It's not as nice as many of the ones that I've seen fabricated by fellow WW members, but it works well for my purpose.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #746 on: June 21, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
Looks great.  Now i want to know more about the... camper chassis service trailer ???

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #747 on: June 22, 2021, 03:39:32 AM »
Looks fantastic. Pretty sharp looking red 👍

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #748 on: June 22, 2021, 08:26:57 AM »
Looks great.  Now i want to know more about the... camper chassis service trailer ???
Not a camper chassis....

A few years back I picked up a surplus utility bed that came off of a Class 6 welding supply truck to use as a mobile shop trailer around the farm.  

I fabricated a chassis with 7" channel with a pair of 7,500 lb brake axles. 

Mounted at the front of the trailer is a Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D with 250' of welding cable lead and 71 gallons of available fuel.  There is a suitcase MIG, plasma torch, carbon arc torch, oxy-propane set, 80 gallon air compressor and a drill press all on the trailer.

I keep pure CO2 and tri-mix on board for the suitcase MIG.  Also have a push-pull gun for aluminum.

I still have a few more mods to do to the trailer before painting it.  Mainly I'm planning to lower the center deck section about a foot so as to have a more convenient height for working.

A hinged bumper in back allows access to under-deck metal storage.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #749 on: June 22, 2021, 11:34:13 AM »
Wow is that thing rigged out or what.   smiley_thumbsup

I was on the fence about being a camper frame. The hubcaps and steps made me think it was a good guess. 

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #750 on: June 22, 2021, 02:39:29 PM »
Next question----who would scrap a piece of 3x4x 3/4 plate?  Nice find.   8)

Wud
You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you cant kill the spirit of patriots and when theyve had enough this madness will end.
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #751 on: June 22, 2021, 07:02:44 PM »
Next question----who would scrap a piece of 3x4x 3/4 plate?  Nice find.   8)

Wud
It's amazing what manufacturing plant will scrap out.  I was trying to find something in the 1.25" - 1.5" range, but the 3/4" worked out fine.
The 16mm annual cutter arrived yesterday; so hopefully tomorrow I'll drill some holes in the top for clamps.  I don't plan on drilling the entire top - only a row along a short and long side.  That way I can use it for placing parts on w/o worrying about them dropping through a hole in the top.

Wow is that thing rigged out or what.   smiley_thumbsup

I was on the fence about being a camper frame. The hubcaps and steps made me think it was a good guess.
That's logical.  I've since swapped the wheels out for some old mag wheels that I had on my GMC Jimmy (it was upgraded with some surplus HMMVW rims and tires).  The step was one that I replaced on one of my wife's mobile veterinary hospitals.  It still had some usable life left in it.
It is one heavy trailer; probably weighs in the 8K - 10K lb range fully loaded.

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #752 on: June 22, 2021, 11:39:08 PM »
Im experimenting with a small roller crimper right now in my compactor frame..  Tacked on just one sharpened edge to see what all it'd do. 

With a pile of weights it got fairly effective at flattening a tall cover crop but its severing ability was marginal and a spray kill would probably be required after rolling. 

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #753 on: June 23, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »
Mike, when are you going to just power that beast and have a nice cultivator?

Offline The Wanderer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #754 on: June 23, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »
  Just a little idea . I have 240 acres of recreational /forestry land and to keep my 2 km roads and 4 km trails in shape I pull this big tire around .Under the tire I have 3 skidder chains attached .

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #755 on: June 23, 2021, 09:13:48 AM »
@Crusarius 

I will eventually mount a diff backwards to create a 4.1x speed increaser for the lumpy drum to act as a harley rake and general forest floor pulverizer for getting grass started in woodsy paddocks.. Or stripping off crummy lawn.

a roller crimper is for when you dont want bare dirt.  In my case for lack of seeding equipment and small spaces, id broadcast seed into a tall weed/vegetation bed and then come over it with a crimper to lay the cover crop over the seed to protect it from birds and retain moisture.  The crimper also acts as a cultipacker to push the seed into the dirt for better seed/soil contact and germination rates.

Again id probably have to spray to kill the old layer but the point is to let it protect and fertilize the new seed.. Have the parts to weld up a spray bar for the quad sitting on the bench now.   

The commercial farms that are roller crimping are using some very heavy drums with various style cutters, often times front mount roller and rear planter in one pass to cut the fuel bill in half.  The planting equipment is pretty modified and heavily weighted in order to cut the crop mat and force a seed in, usually coulters ahead of each drill.  Im discovering a layer of hip high grass stalks is tougher than it looks!  

Crimping is a fairly recent technology so the farms doing it have fabbed up all sorts of trial and error equipment to make it work.  The yield data suggests it is a best practice vs conventional tillage.  less erosion, less runoff, less phosphates in the creek, higher soil moisture etc.

We suffer from hard, thin top soil that needs more organic matter to build up a good tilth.  Really im just making sure i never succumb to the television. 

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #756 on: June 23, 2021, 09:14:50 AM »
That makes a really nice trail Wanderer.  smiley_thumbsup

Online mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #757 on: June 24, 2021, 05:11:19 PM »
I finished out putting segmented cutters on the crimper drum.. Literally just sharpened bed frame scraps, 1x1 thin angle.  

It works quite well at terminating tall weeds and brambles.  Before/after same spot. 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #758 on: June 24, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »
Looking good Mike 👍 Now for the food plot improvements as well as your salt.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #759 on: June 25, 2021, 06:25:16 AM »
I decided to put together a new welding and layout table for my little little log cabin machine shop (not to be confused with "Log Cabin Republicans", LOL).

Out in the main shop I have a nice 4' x 8' steel table (seen in the first pic), but in the machine shop the welding table consisted of a 24" square plate of 1/2" steel that sat on a couple of wood saw horses.

At an auction I picked up some cast iron legs that came off of a piece of industrial equipment, and a local scrap yard had a nice piece of 3' x 4' steel plate in 3/4" thickness. I had some nice heavy steel casters left over from a different acquisition a number of years ago that were also allocated to the project.

I decided to install the legs in a splayed out position in order to allow me more external room for clamping at the top, yet not sacrifice stability. This also allows good room for me to sit on a tall stool while TIG welding.  Some wedges were made to take care of the leg angles.

The top was drilled and tapped so as to be able to bolt the leg assemblies in place.  Bevel washers were used to keep the bolt head alignment in the proper plane.

Today I took delivery of a 16mm annular cutter for my mag drill so that I can drill the top for some Bessey style clamps. I'm pleased with how it came out. It's nice and tall so I don't have to bend over when using the MIG or stick, and a stool works fine for TIG work. It is very stable too. It's not as nice as many of the ones that I've seen fabricated by fellow WW members, but it works well for my purpose.

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Awesome build Sir
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben on Forestry and Logging

478 Replies
Last post July 23, 2021, 01:00:01 PM
by Wudman
xx
The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben on Firewood and Wood Heating

28 Replies
Last post July 24, 2021, 10:47:55 PM
by BrushSaw