iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Quote from: HemlockKing on December 02, 2021, 11:55:46 AMNo horsepower was wasted there lol
Thats always the goal.  If you use the logs as ballast to load the drives so heavy they cant spin, on a tire so wide it cant sink, and then get enough weight up front not to wheelie .. Youll find the load moves.  Its either a rut, a spin or a wheelie that stops a machine.  Eliminate those 3 and the load will move.  Sled pulling is a fun way to find out. There were guys with machines that destroyed mine.. But they weighed about 3k to my 1700 or so.  16 horses can pull a semi worth of logs if you take a look at old sleigh pics!

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Mig vs stick is all in the electrode angles.  Most people push a mig forward with a forward rake angle like youd chisel wood. You gotta pull a stick puddle for the shielding gas to protect the weld.  

Electrode stickout is huge in a mig as is electrode gap in a stick. 

Weldingtipsandtricks is an excellent youtube channel.  Ive been welding almost 32 years. Still plenty capable of hot boogers so dont beat yourself up. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

I learned to gas weld first, then arc, then after that mig. I think that was a useful progression, with gas welding you have to control 2 things at once- your heat and filler and while a little tricky once you get the hang of it, it makes it a lot easier to control other processes. I like gas welding, though I haven't did any in years. Nice and quiet with no arc flashes and electric buzz.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Brushed the flu and stove this morning, maybe a cereal bowl of soot. One of them monthly chores in winter, beats mowing grass. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moodnacreek

The newbe's here buying their firewood on line, price: $300 a cord, dumped, and they are mad as they want it stacked and the area cleaned up in the spring.

mike_belben

lazy people deserve to have their money taken.  nobody owes you nothin snowflake. 
Praise The Lord

John Mc

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 04, 2021, 08:42:30 AM
The newbe's here buying their firewood on line, price: $300 a cord, dumped, and they are mad as they want it stacked and the area cleaned up in the spring.
OK, I could see looking for stacked: some firewood sellers do offer that service... for a price. Next time they'll know to ask first.
But "the area cleaned up in the spring"?!  Who the heck does that? I've never even heard of someone asking that. What's next? Order something from Amazon, and expect them to come by come by and pick up the boxes and packing material after you open it?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mike_belben

last night i got deeper into the deere pump that i broke by getting it and an overloaded trailer it was hooked to, unstuck with dozer while forgetting to depressed the cartridge relief valves so it could roll.  the tongue weight refused to let the tires skid so the diff force snapped teeth off the hydrostatic output and the pinion bull gear.

the variable displacement guts were in great shape despite all my relentless abuse. it is an exceptional hydrostatic trans, like a tiny version of what youd find in a $100k+ machine.  people scrap these old gems all the time.  mine was flipped off a tailgate upside down.  i gave $200 and mowed with it that day by jumping out a neutral safety switch and changing the gas. there is an incredible expense to being stupid.  youd pay $10k for a machine that doesnt match this thing today.

the shaft is very hard but im gonna try grinding and turning it down and drilling a roll pin hole for a sprocket hub or lovejoy.  that lovejoy on the back is how i drove a piggy back hydraulic pump that saw 4000psi a few times before i added a total system relief valve to limit to 1800 or so which was perfect.  that unlimited pressure period was how it picked up the big log in the grapple and twisted the cylinder mount. had to replace that with round tube to resist the torsion.  amazing the steer spindles or axle beam never snapped off.  the piggy back pump used the sump and fluid of the transaxle.  i had the charge pump of this unit feeding into the piggy back pump and flowing through a pair of series H3 open center valves then back to the charge pump return port. just had to remove the pressure valve so it would stop blowing out the shaft seal on the piggy back pump.  10gpm is way too large and jerky.  3gpm @1800-2000 is right for a 16hp to run like a factory built piece of equipment.. no governor lugging, no jerky motions.
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: mike_belben on December 04, 2021, 09:34:24 AM
lazy people deserve to have their money taken.  nobody owes you nothin snowflake.
I wanted to "like" this more than once, but the button don't work like that! :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: moodnacreek on December 04, 2021, 08:42:30 AM
I was asked about stacking by 3 new customers this year. I told them I don't like stacking my own wood, never mind there's! I told them that I would stack, same price.  They said, "really?". Yup, your cord of green wood is $250, for another $250, I'll stack it. I got -0- stacking jobs this year  ;D I really don't like stacking
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

For an elderly person i will stack.  Ive carried entire ricks in my arms thru a back yard into a shed for a wheelchair bound guy.  Day after i fractured my forearm i brought half a rick down a huge hill to a bonfire pit for another old man.  But if youre younger then me im likely to spout off at the mouth on a stacking request. 
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Pay my hourly rate and I will do the dishes after stacking the wood  8)

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on December 04, 2021, 06:28:25 PM
For an elderly person i will stack.  Ive carried entire ricks in my arms thru a back yard into a shed for a wheelchair bound guy.  Day after i fractured my forearm i brought half a rick down a huge hill to a bonfire pit for another old man.  But if youre younger then me im likely to spout off at the mouth on a stacking request.
Us to but only in that situation . Also have done a few last deliveries in cold weather, ice and snow, knowing I would never see that old boy again. [ no charge either for these sad ones, it's called 'paying it forward'.]

mike_belben

Quote from: mudfarmer on December 05, 2021, 08:53:13 AM
Pay my hourly rate and I will do the dishes after stacking the wood  8)
If i got paid minimum wage for every hour of dishes and laundry boy id have a nice skid steer. 
Praise The Lord

sum1

We stack for customers off they want $20 per cord. It's a bit of a loss leader but gets some customers. Many people will tip ontop of the $20.

Surprisingly however the majority of customers scoff at the $20 and do it themselves. I don't understand it myself I think they all underestimate the work involved.

Tacotodd

Once, I took a 1/2cord of hand split red oak to my buddy and he happily over paid me because it was me. I didn't as for as much as he wanted to give me and I told him what the typical going price was but he insisted on me taking it. I still feel like I do but we are still buds and I can call him right now and he won't think twice about helping me. When I took the wood to his place he realized that his gate was to small for me, so he was happy for me to just throw it over his fence. I don't sell firewood. I only do it for myself, but the planets were in line for us BOTH that day that allowed us both to do what we did. I've even gone to his house and helped him burn it. Good times 👍 Just the way that it should (IMO) be. 

BTW, I didn't have to help him stack it anything. He just wanted the wood. OK🤷‍♂️ Sometimes I don't understand what is going through peoples mind, but my ESP is on the blink quite often :D
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

I've stacked wood for very few clients in my 16 year firewood career.  Most were elderly or otherwise unable to do it themselves.  When asked about it now I tell them stacking costs the same as the wood if I do it.  If they're close to my hometown I have a guy I recommend who works for less and does a nice job.  The time to stack is time taken from getting back to the yard and running another load.  During the busy seasons that time is very valuable.  There are no worthwhile $$$ for me to make stowing away some else's wood. 
  Once upon a time I got a call from a local Salvation Army looking for someone to deliver wood to an elderly lady who was down to her last two pieces of wood and about 40 miles away from me.  Now normally I would have done such a thing but on that particular day it was 10 degrees and lake effect snow was coming in sideways on 30mph+ winds.  The kids were both little, my machines hadn't been started in a couple days, conditions were truly dangerous...  I had valid reasons and turned it down :-\.       
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sum1

Today before moving to start a new cone.

jimbarry

Quote from: sum1 on December 05, 2021, 10:29:49 AMWe stack for customers off they want $20 per cord.

We charge $40 per cord. Did it once this year on a 2 cord drop for some seniors. They were happy to pay.

Quote from: mike_belben on December 05, 2021, 10:11:38 AMboy id have a nice skid steer.

And that's how I got my skidsteer :)

I must be the odd one here, I don't mind stacking at all.

sublime68charger

mike belben,

I just got threw your thread on the 140 on the MTF board and wow you did alot of work on that old 140 and its pretty impressive.

due you have a link to your youtube video's at all?  all the links to youtube in that thread no longer work and would love to see some of the 140 in action.

sublime68charger

got my wood shed filled up for the winter this past weekend.  Just got to drop the front door and tie it down so its not blowing in the wind.  The zippers for it are shot but it does help keep the snow out of blowing into the shed some what.

mike_belben

i dont think i do anymore.  ive been sitting here a minute trying to remember how that all went.  i expected to move all my equipment down south and get a building up then start a manufacturing company.  so id build something and share it and it didnt bother me when someone else would make themselves one, but it really burned me when some turd would clone it and start selling as their own so i kinda just quit over there. let them figure their own junk out if im not gonna get anything out of it. 

i dont even know what thread youre looking at.  got a link?
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

my side access door to the shed as well.  Light points toward the boiler which is a big help at night.  The strips at the bottom have small wood blocks to give them some weight to keep for blowing around all the time and I'm kinda suprised that they made it over a year without ripping off.

sublime68charger

Quote from: mike_belben on December 06, 2021, 09:49:01 AM
i dont think i do anymore.  ive been sitting here a minute trying to remember how that all went.  i expected to move all my equipment down south and get a building up then start a manufacturing company.  so id build something and share it and it didnt bother me when someone else would make themselves one, but it really burned me when some turd would clone it and start selling as their own so i kinda just quit over there. let them figure their own junk out if im not gonna get anything out of it.

i dont even know what thread youre looking at.  got a link?
from this thread.  
My 140 | My Tractor Forum

and I get with your fabicration skills you don't want somebody to take what you have made and designed and then try and market it as there own.  I just wanted to watch some of what you had posted videos of. or if you have a youtube channel can you just PM me a link to it?
thanks

mike_belben

since i cant produce iron in house and the supply chain trainwreck is overpriced and under reliable im not gonna go into any kind of manufacturing anymore other than my own one off stuff til i die.  im happy to share the stuff i just dont think i have vids anymore.  i played around with a monetizing attempt on youtube earlier this year and see it as a waste of my time so just let that trail off.  certifiedhoarder is my stage name.. its just a bunch of random junk to feel out what might take off. 

a redneck toyota yaris heater fix is my most views. bah.  i have better things to do than pander to idiots with broken heaters. i much prefer you fine folks here with broken skitters and splitters! ;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!