iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

oh yeah.. bucket of photos went from free to a million dollars a year and i lost thousands of images.  i guess MTF cached them somehow.
Praise The Lord

GRANITEstateMP

finally getting some of MY wood put up!  This will be for late next winter, or maybe the winter after, depends on how this one goes

The pile to the left has been pre split with the skid steer mounted splitter. We then do the final split and heap it till I got time to do the dreaded stacking

probably 1/4 of the pieces didn't need to be resplit. It helps that I burn 22in pieces and like some "all nighters"
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

sublime68charger

Mike thanks for the youtube name Ill check out your videos.

cutterboy

I've been cutting wood the last few days. Most in the woods and some on the edge of a corn field.  Here are a few pictures just for the fun of it.

Happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

SwampDonkey

My overflow wood pile is under the porch. And for some reason the wind keeps the snow away from the north end of the house. It blows out across the drain field and out the lower drive way. Most of the snow in the drive way is on the shoulders. And the snow does not pile up in front of the garage door that much either, it faces north. I've seen the day here, that the wind would block you in and not work with you. Because of the way everything sits on the lot now, that has all changed in my favor. What little snow I get under the porch entry I sweep off with a broom. The front doorsteps area and ground usually blows down to bare gravel from wind or just 2-4" snow at most. 8)  She's all bare down to grass again here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

Back in the woods. This afternoon I went after a pretty good sized black birch that would not make good lumber but will make good firewood.

These rounds were so heavy that I decided to only fill the box about 3/4 full. Black birch is as dense as red oak. I forgot to take a picture of my load in the woods but remembered half way home driving through a corn field.

The stack of rounds is getting bigger. It's about time to get the splitter going to split this wood and stack it in the barn for next winter.

There is still a lot of wood on the ground in the woods but tomorrow is supposed to be rainy and windy and warm so I'll have to wait to get it. Inside work tomorrow.

Happy cutting.....Cutter 

btulloh

Looking at your pics makes me wanna go cut firewood, Cutterboy. Problem is that kind of thing is on my list of things I'm not supposed to do right now. Hopefully soon, but until then I'll just have to get my kicks watching this thread.

Thanks for posting!
HM126

cutterboy

btulloh, I hope the condition or situation that is holding you back improves quickly so you can do all you want to. I wish you well.

btulloh

Thanks. I'll be back in the saddle before too long I hope. Gettin' there, but slower than I'd like. 
HM126

sublime68charger

Used my John Deere 140 today to pull in a tree top.  

Gere Flewelling

Sublime68charger- That's a neat looking little JD, but the 78/79 Ford in the background caught my eye.  I have a fondness for that era of F series.  The only new vehicle I have ever bought was a 79 f-150.  I ran it til it rusted away in 1988.  Poor quality steel in those days and New England salt was a bad combination.  I have a 79 F-350 dump I bought 20 years ago to haul firewood that I only run in months where the roads are free of salt.  Not the same as the old f-150 but makes a good reminder of my "good old days".  I painted the midline stripe on my pickup back then.  Gave it the unique look.  Thanks for the memories and for posting the pic's.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

mike_belben

Im convinced those old hydrostatic deeres from 140 thru 400ish model i think with the sunstrand 15/70U are not capable of breaking themselves from overloading with the stock engines.  You could bolt the axles to an alignment rack, chain it down and max it out. The relief valves would protect the axle shafts and gears.  As you know they make max wheel torque at minimum swash plate angle like any hydrostatic transmission.

The more weight you pile on front and more weight you can raise up to load the drives, the more that thing will keep pulling until a relief valve opens or tire spins or it wheelies.  Its a dana truck rear with a gusseted housing so that wont bend either.  An incredible machine.

consumers are idiots to be throwing those out for the fisher price throwaway rubbish they sell today. Nothing today compares to 1970s garden tractors in terms of robustness and repairability. 

Ps- never forget to push in the tow valves if you have to tug it out.  I broke my rearend tugging it with a half cord of wood in the trailer with the dozer and forgetting the valves.  I lifted the back of the trailer and all the weight was on the tongue so the deeres drive tires couldnt skid and it snapped the bull gear teeth off. 
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

Quote from: Gere Flewelling on December 13, 2021, 06:18:25 AM
Sublime68charger- That's a neat looking little JD, but the 78/79 Ford in the background caught my eye.  I have a fondness for that era of F series.  The only new vehicle I have ever bought was a 79 f-150.  I ran it til it rusted away in 1988.  Poor quality steel in those days and New England salt was a bad combination.  I have a 79 F-350 dump I bought 20 years ago to haul firewood that I only run in months where the roads are free of salt.  Not the same as the old f-150 but makes a good reminder of my "good old days".  I painted the midline stripe on my pickup back then.  Gave it the unique look.  Thanks for the memories and for posting the pic's.  GF
back ground on the old 78 Ford.  72,000 orginal miles rusty but trusty.  I'm the 3rd owner bought from my Grandpa who got the truck in 1983 with 23,000 miles on it.  351M motor with auto transmission.  Every time I drive the truck I get to think of all the great trips that I got to take with my grandparents in the truck.  I have grand visions of some day getting a rust free box to put on it and a new coat of paint.  The topper is ugly on it but keeps stuff in the box nice and dry so for now the topper stay's on.  

sublime68charger

Mike Belben,  yep those 140 are tough little tractors.

and I know about the freewheeling releif on these.  I have 3 1/2 140's at the moment.
the 69 with the rear 3 point.  I have a 74 140 H1 with a tiller on the back.

in my work shop is a 69 140 H1 that is not running at the moment hoping Points/Coil/Condensor
maybe a new carb and get it running.

also up on blocks is a 74 140 H3 frame and H3 stuff,  missing motor and the hydro unit has a whole in the side of it.  long term project  I and thinking from Jim's tractor repair get a replacment engine and would like to put in a rear end from a John Deere 420 so I could have a 2 speed and locking Diff.    Or take all the H3 stuff off and put in on my other 74 140.

the darn 140 are addictive I started with just the 2 of them that came from a unlce of mine who had a collection of about 40 different gardent tractors that got auctioned off.  He only had the 2 140's on the auction and I was able to get both of them the 69 ran and had a mower deck and homemade sleeve hitch on the back for $450 and the 74 140 non running for $250 pic of my 140s with a 214 that I had been using but sold since I got the 140's

mike_belben

you can make an H4 by adding your H3 valve downstream of the H1 valve.  you just cant pull a handle on each valve simultaneously.  mine is an H6..  a pair of 3 stacks in series with a total system relief and a separate high pressure pump.  

if you wanna sell the broken hydro output shaft and the bull gear it meshes with let me know
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

Quote from: mike_belben on December 13, 2021, 03:24:42 PM
you can make an H4 by adding your H3 valve downstream of the H1 valve.  you just cant pull a handle on each valve simultaneously.  mine is an H6..  a pair of 3 stacks in series with a total system relief and a separate high pressure pump.  

if you wanna sell the broken hydro output shaft and the bull gear it meshes with let me know
The 140 I have in parts is a later model Hydro unit.  Yours is a 69 correct with the disc brakes or the later model with the drum brakes?  The 140's rear end change in 1971 with a more robust rear end that had drum brakes.  The bad one I have is a later style one I'll get a pic and send to you but if what I have will work I can get it sent your way.

mike_belben

Only if you want to part with it, dont let me pressure you as i dont really neeeed more projects.  Itd be to repair the one i have instead of rob a rear from my other one.  If i have two good rears maybe will articulate it.  
Praise The Lord

sublime68charger

Quote from: mike_belben on December 13, 2021, 11:48:55 PM
Only if you want to part with it, dont let me pressure you as i dont really neeeed more projects.  Itd be to repair the one i have instead of rob a rear from my other one.  If i have two good rears maybe will articulate it.  
Ill take a look at mine and if I can get it apart and get you want you want I can as the housing is broke on mine pretty sure there is a junk missing out of it.  I'll be in touch.  Im sure you would like your 140 back up and usable as you have made that into quite the workhorse!
and This way I have 1 less thing sitting on the floor in my shop!  

mike_belben

Thank you very much, thatd be great.  I will try to pull the tin cover on the pinion today and see how to get the bull gear out of the aluminum adapter that connects the hystat to the diff. 
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

This is just a couple logs I snatched today .A basswood and a black cherry 24 footers .Not the best firewood but like all wood it does produce heat .The little Fergie has plenty of power for a little tractor and will drag much larger logs than these if  can get the front raised with the three point hitch so it isn't digging into the ground . I just do a few at a time when I get the time and the weather is fit .

newoodguy78

Al_Smith

1951 TO 20 with an M and W big bore kit .Painted up by someone  else in MF red 

thecfarm

I hooked up a lot of logs behind a NAA Ford the same way. My Father would be watching me to make sure I hooked the log the same way he would. He watched me cut down trees with the same watchful eyes. It was better be done the way he would do it. But he knew how to do it, and wanted to make sure I knew how to do it.  ;)  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

For a SxS a nice Log arch is good to have to. I plan on getting one for skidding short hauls to a portable mill. I've got 1000's of nice fir logs still growing, while I gather the cash. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

CLEANING UP SOME TOPS. I find it fun to cut down the trees and buck up the main stem. However, cutting the tops and all the branches isn't so much fun but it needs to be done. There were some tops down in the woods and some saplings so yesterday I decided to clean them all up.

This work was done in the morning but the afternoon got warm and the ground got soft so I decided to split and stack in the barn the wood I brought back.

It's raining this morning and warm and will be warm tomorrow and then snow so I'm out of the woods for a while. There is plenty of wood in the barnyard that needs to be split and stacked so that will be my activity for at least a few days.

Happy cutting.....Cutter

Thank You Sponsors!