iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fir of some sort

Started by JoshNZ, October 03, 2021, 04:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Ian's first guess was fir which it looks to resemble, I was wondering if anyone could fine tune which fir it is?

Must be 48" across the butt, pretty decent size. I poked a chainsaw in the end to smell the cut but can't say it resembles anything I've worked with, not the Douglas smell I remember. But I've never cut it green.

Is there anything that rules out this being Douglas fir?

SwampDonkey

Sitka spruce Picea sitchensis
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

I thought it looked like a spruce too. With those big limbs, roll it right into the burn pile and save yourself some headaches😊
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Sitka was always good money on the BC coast in the 90's. No idea of price these days.

I found this link, big bucks for the good stuff. ;D

Sitka Wood
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DMcCoy

It doesn't look like doug fir to me because of the bark.
True fir - Abies spp. leave a round needle scar, pluck one off and look.  True fir also bear their cones upright.
I would defer to others on the spruce.

firefighter ontheside

Sitka spruce is a popular wood for string instruments.  I see a lot of guitars there.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

JoshNZ

Quote from: barbender on October 03, 2021, 08:09:45 AM
I thought it looked like a spruce too. With those big limbs, roll it right into the burn pile and save yourself some headaches😊
Blade wandering material is it?

barbender

Yes, if it has a bunch of 1-2" limbs, even if by some miracle you manage to saw it straight, the lumber is junk anyways. People think blades drift in spruce knots because they are hard, I think it is because of how squirrelly the grain gets around them. Imagine a 2x4 with a 2" knot centered in the face, and the angle of the grain at 45° on either side. They'll often fall right in half when you try to pick them up. Wider boards would be less of a problem, or blocking. It is still a bugger to saw straight and has made me pull out more hair than any other wood.

JoshNZ

Fair enough. I can't think of any use for spruce and don't know about any demand here anyway so I'll leave that one alone. Stick to my stressed walnut  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: barbender on October 03, 2021, 02:49:49 PM
........ People think  ladies drift in spruce knots because they are hard, .........
I don't believe that is what you meant to type, but I about spit beer through my nose when I read it. So thanks for that. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

JoshNZ

Haha I was thinking he was being poetic.. something about how it's so beautiful women get lost in its gaze.

barbender

😂😂😂 I believe I need to make an edit, although I am always happy if I can make someone spit liquid out their nose in laughter!😂😂 Big thumbs on a smartphone screen+autocorrect has provided you with today's humor😂

Thank You Sponsors!