iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have no clue, ground level plant with a red seed? NOT Ginseng.

Started by Old Greenhorn, September 30, 2021, 09:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Cruising this afternoon and I found this, which I had seen a few days ago, but didn't photo. After trying to figure it out and finding it again today I present this photo for you help:

It's a ground creeper with a single red seed/fruit thingy as far as I can tell. I don't have any references on these types of plants. Any clue would be helpful. I know it's not even close to ginseng and the habitat is all wrong anyway, elevation is way too low. Dark tight overgrown woods in this spot.
 Thanks.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

clearcut

Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) looks like. Crush the leaves for the scent.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

IndiLina

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

kantuckid

Google-> Teaberry. The scent will tell the tale. Remember Teaberry gum? It's a wintergreen scent but also could be called minty. Lots in my area. Chew some once you've smelled it-freshens the breath. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I came across some again yesterday and this time remembered to crush a leaf. First thought was bubble gum, then more specifically, playdough. :D
 Yeah, I think it's wintergreen which is also called Teaberry. Interesting that the deer haven't clear cut it......yet. But for some reason I don't see any deer sign in this woodlot but 2 miles away, they are all over.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jb616

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 04, 2021, 10:29:47 AM
Yeah, I came across some again yesterday and this time remembered to crush a leaf. First thought was bubble gum, then more specifically, playdough. :D
Yeah, I think it's wintergreen which is also called Teaberry. Interesting that the deer haven't clear cut it......yet. But for some reason I don't see any deer sign in this woodlot but 2 miles away, they are all over.
I have acres of this on my property and very thick. As stated above, the partridge love the berries but deer don't seem to eat the leaves or berries. If you crush the berries they are very aromatic. When my nephew was younger I crushed some for him to smell and he said "toothpaste"  :D

SwampDonkey

If the underside of the berry where the flower was is star shaped I'd say wintergreen Gaultheria procumbens. Otherwise partridge berry, Mitchella repens.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!