iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timesaver wide planer / beltsander combination machine

Started by stanmillnc, November 05, 2021, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanmillnc

So now that I'm getting 3-phase power to my shop, I've decided to purchase a wide planer / belt sander combination machine. Looking at the Timesaver model and used units on the market. Finding mostly 37" and 43"; I don't think I'd need the 43" capacity, but I guess it would be nice to have? I can get a better deal on the 37" units which would cover all I currently do. 

My current business model focuses on live edge slabs, up to ~34" wide. I've got a LT-40 wide Woodmizer and don't like breaking out my CSM unless I absolutely have to, so very rare for me to mill wider than the Woodmizer can handle. However, perhaps the 43" unit would open up a market to plane / sand table-tops for customers? 

Also how much should I factor in age of the machine? These Timesavers seem to be built like tanks, so I'm not necessarily scared of an older model, but I suppose newer models are always better. Anybody on the forum with a Timesaver that can help me with this decision?

scsmith42

I have a Timesavers 52" three head WBS. Before that I had an EMC Pioneer (Laguna) 37" single head WBS.

Belts are less expensive for the narrower models.

HP is king! My 37" had around 22hp and I would not want less, especially if you are using the WBS to flatten slabs.

Unless you are doing glue ups, it's best to match up to your other capabilities.  Having said that, 42" capacity is nice because a lot of table tops are 42" wide.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

customsawyer

Every time I match up to my capacity I end up getting some bigger capacity and then have to upgrade other machines down the line. I've never wished a machine had less hp. and I don't remember saying that a planer is to wide.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

K-Guy

Quote from: customsawyer on November 08, 2021, 06:47:33 AMI've never wished a machine had less hp. and I don't remember saying that a planer is to wide.

Isn't that like saying a girl is too pretty? smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Southside

Quote from: customsawyer on November 08, 2021, 06:47:33 AMI've never wished a machine had less hp

No kidding.  Caught myself one day saying something along the lines of "boy those newer ones have 50 more HP, bla, bla, bla", while riding around in my 300 HP tractor - quickly came back to reality... ::)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

busenitzcww

I have a 37" and would love a 42" just because of all the table tops we do. If you can swing it go big!

Thank You Sponsors!