iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain for stihl 084

Started by 421Altered, November 19, 2021, 09:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I've recently got a Cannon Super bar for my rebuilt Stihl 084.  I need suggestions as to whether to get a full compliment chain or a full skip chain.  I'll be using it mostly for bucking large oak trees in storm cleanups.  The bar is 50" long, 063 gauge, in 404 pitch.  I prefer Stihl full chisel chain, so I just need to know whether full compliment or full skip would be better and why it would be better.   I know some of you guys on here have a lot of experience with these big saws.  Thanks!

Tacotodd

Full comp. That 084 has PLENTY of cc's to pull it. After all, "I" was taught that you went to skip when you needed a slightly longer bar than it might normally be able to utilize, but with a skip tooth it works because you don't have as many cutters slowing it down. I'm not good at giving a good explanation of this over a computer or such...but that's how I "occasionally" run a 32" unit on my 372 that normally wears a 28". 32, full skip. 28, full comp. 

I'm also referring to using 3/8, and that "might" make a difference.
Trying harder everyday.

Al_Smith

IMO run whatever you want to run .I only have one bar for my 084 which is a 42" Oregon .063 .404 .The saw doesn't care if it's skip or full .
Like every large saw it doesn't get used much .It's certainly not a "firewood "saw .
From my perspective this saw ,while very powerful really doesn't cut any better than the other large displacement older saws I own .As it is now it runs a 7 tooth rim but could run an 8 with no problems .Shelf queen that will likely last forever .

sawguy21

Skip was popular with longer bars because it did a better job of clearing chips from the kerf. A lot of people like the idea of fewer cutters to sharpen but they need to be done more frequently so it's a wash. With your saws power full comp will be more productive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

421Altered

Thanks to all three that have replied.  With your background's I know that that is great advice.  I'll get full comp for sure!  Thanks very much!

Ed

Going against popular opinion here....

Full skip and round ground chain. Ime to many teeth in the cut for full comp. Yes, use .404 pitch .063 gage.

If you need a 50" bar on hardwoods, you're cutting old garbage trees. Full of dirt and crap that god doesn't even know what it its. l've hit nails 20"+ deep in 60" oak.
Any speed you gain with full chisel/full comp will be offset by hours of sharpening.

Ed

Al_Smith

20" deep .They must have been driven in prior to the war of 1812 . :D
I've hit nails usually left from abandoned deer stands about 2 inches deep kind of annoyed me to say the least .It usually ruins about 3-4 cutters .Not a total lose .Cut them down for shorter loops or spin up  from another loop that also hit nails or tried to cut rocks .Waste not want not they say . 8)

421Altered

I've got another question about some 404 chain that was given to me.  I was told that it is old style Stihl chain, but, I don't know.  It's full comp chisel chain, but, the tie strap directly ahead of the raker, at the rear of the tie strap it has a raised ramp on the rear of the tie strap.  I'm assuming that it is made this way because of the height of the raker on 404 chain.  None of my other Stihl chain has this ramp.  I know what anti kick back chain looks like, and this doesn't look like that, but, for the life of me I wouldn't think that they would of made 404 safety chain!! LOL  So, what is this ramp for, and will it reduce the cutting ability of the chain, say, compared to another chain without the ramp?

lxskllr

Triple hump? Sounds like the NOS ⅜" chain I use. People liked to grouse about it, but it cuts fine. Boring takes a little longer, but for "normal" cutting, it hasn't given me any problems.

421Altered

lxskllr, that may be what I have, just in 404 pitch.   I have a loop of it on a 36" bar on a Stihl 064, and it does the job just as good as with the same powerhead and a 36" bar with Stihl full chiesel 3/8 chain.  I can't tell any difference in cutting ability, but, I have only used it on yellow pine.

lxskllr

I got mine from ebay. I debated on it awhile noting people's complaints about it, but the price was too good to pass up. I figured if it was terrible, I could use it for beater chain. I bought a 100' reel. I liked it so much, I bought another 100'.

Al_Smith

I once bought an anti kick back chain off flea bay by mistake .Quite truthfully it wasn't that bad and it would bore cut .Dumbest thing about it was the fact it was .325 by 50 thou and the bar plainly marked was a 63 thou bar and in spite of me knowing better ordered it any way like a dummy .Obviously I later changed it after I discovered the error of my ways .Things happen !   

421Altered

lxskllr I got this chain from a Stihl dealer that was going out of business after 56 years.  He gave it to me just to get rid of it I think.  I have about 230 more dl's of it, so, I hope it's just as good as modern Sthil chisel chain.  Hopefully it will work good enough for me so I won't have to buy new chain!

Thank You Sponsors!