The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Log Splitter Build Questions  (Read 1563 times)

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Log Splitter Build Questions
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 09:57:06 AM »
Just when you think you have had a original thought.  :D (not really, I know better)

The vertical splitter with turn table.

You may also like....

or

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 01:58:41 PM »
hey, they used my idea to. Man those things are sweet!!!!

Online Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 02:59:13 PM »
They have some nice gear, looks like they are in Austria. This one popped up on youtube so I got looking around on their channel. I posted a link here.

Re: A different firewood splitter design

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 04:35:23 PM »
Is it me or does it seem over seas has much better stuff? Could it be that they are less sue crazy and don't have as much safety crap?

You make it idiot proof and they make a better idiot :)

One of the things I see over seas all the time are the MAN flat nose trucks. Makes so much more sense for more cargo capacity. Unfortunately Americans just have to supersize everything!

The MAN trucks actually have hydraulic assist front drive. supposedly there is no parasitic loss when it is disengaged. I watched a video on it before, pretty kool technology. 

Offline Joe Hillmann

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
If you want to speed up your cycle times you can plumb your cylinder so that when you are extending both sides of the cylinder are plumbed together and both get pressure.  The side without the rod has more square inches pushing on it so it will overpower the side and cause the cylinder to extend.   As it extends the fluid on the rod side has no place to go and is forced into the non rod side.  The rod will extend very fast but have very little power.

Then once the wedge hits the wood you only put pressure on the non rod side and it will have power when extending again.

I don't know if the extra complexity and the need for an extra valve is justifiable for the extra speed.

Offline fasttruck860

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2021, 07:11:30 PM »
Those splitters are pretty sweet although the splits are pretty long.

I've convinced myself the box wedge with lift table would be the best route for me. I'm just trying to figure out if I can do a single wedge that's adjustable manually. That way I can have it for the knotty wood, then lower it down when I'm using the box wedge and it'll just become the center wedge. How to anchor the box wedge is a different story. That would certainly simplify the setup and save some cash on a cylinder, valve and hoses. I don't see myself switching setups that frequently other than crotch wood or possibly the larger hickories I have. 

Offline fasttruck860

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2021, 07:17:57 PM »
If you want to speed up your cycle times you can plumb your cylinder so that when you are extending both sides of the cylinder are plumbed together and both get pressure.  The side without the rod has more square inches pushing on it so it will overpower the side and cause the cylinder to extend.   As it extends the fluid on the rod side has no place to go and is forced into the non rod side.  The rod will extend very fast but have very little power.

Then once the wedge hits the wood you only put pressure on the non rod side and it will have power when extending again.

I don't know if the extra complexity and the need for an extra valve is justifiable for the extra speed.
I'm going to go with standard plumbing for now and see how it performs. If I end up with a real issue I'll take a closer look. According to the calculator I found online the setup I'm thinking about is 8.4 secs cycle time if I use a 5" cylinder. The 4.5" cylinder drops that down to 7 seconds which is pretty fast.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2021, 08:40:57 PM »
Use a car scissor jack for moving the wedge box
Isaiah 63:10

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2021, 08:48:11 PM »
my old boss used to say, "keep it simple stupid".  i agree with a wedge and a cylinder.  lots of variables like RPMs.  cylinder length, adding back stops.  you can do work while the detent is working.  you can get auto forward and detent valves ect. got a two-stage pump 28 gallon pump.  with a 5 inch cylinder, I work fine at an idle and talk above the noise. 
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2021, 08:52:28 PM »
there is a company named split eze.  they have great products and James is very knowledgably.  He will tell you if a bypass dump valve speeds things up...prob. not but reduce heat and wear and tear.  and they sell then as well.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2021, 11:57:23 AM »
It all depends on how resourceful you are for parts .It doesn't have be lightning fast like it's a race .Some think it is though for some reason .
Here is a picture of my homebuilt made from basically repurposed junk .Tilts,lays flat built solid as a battle ship and with a 5" cylinder will split anything .The cycle time will out run me at slightly above engine idle speed .That pile of EAB killed ash took me a little over an hour working at a snails pace because I need to rest every so often .It's around two face cords ,enough to last me 2-3 weeks .This thing is not pretty but highly functional .

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2021, 12:21:33 PM »
i noticed this morning surplus center just started carrying a very economical new brand of single spool splitter valve. "dirty hand tools" is the brand and a valve is only $60 new.  ymmv, just thought id mention it.  
Isaiah 63:10

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »
"This thing is not pretty but highly functional"
Kinda like us Al.  Doc :)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »
Yes indeed ;)

Offline moodnacreek

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawin by the notches
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »
Copy Power Split international, that's what I would do.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2021, 04:15:06 AM »
You mentioned that you built a grapple for your tractor; I would build two splitters. The first for the tractor. I have split many a oversized round. Trying to roll them around under a vertical/horizontal unit is a pain. Having them up in the air is dangerous. Everyone worries about the wedge cutting off a finger. Reality is falling blocks will break your foot and turning the oversize chunks will mash your fingers between the round and the work table. Reduce the big rounds to halves or quarters where they sit with an inverted 3pt tractor splitter and then work the manageable size blocks to size with a horizontal.

Box wedge is great for productivity but does generate an enormous amount of trash and uses a bunch of fuel doing it. Red oak is heavy but actually splits fairly easy. Having been through a single wedge box store unit, skid steer inverted, Eastonmade 22-28 with box, 4 and 6-way wedges, Supersplit Heavy Duty Kinectic, and  Dyna SC-14 Processor what I found is the inverted single wedge for the big ones and the kinetic for the rest is the sweet spot for rounds. If you have a boiler and can use big chunks the multiwedge works fine but for stove-wood splits you will be re-splitting and the big hp/cylinder is a liability instead of an asset. If the kinetic is too fast for kids something like the fast cycle hydraulic design that Eastonmade markets to compete with the kinetics might fit the bill. 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
If you cut to the chase on home builds you are only limited by your pocket book and imagination .Plus of course your fabrication skills .
If you are selling fire wood in volume a faster unit ,perhaps even a box splitter would be better .However just doing enough to keep the home fires burning that would be way too much over kill in my opinion . 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 06:29:36 PM »
Reduce the big rounds to halves or quarters where they sit with an inverted 3pt tractor splitter and then work the manageable size blocks to size with a horizontal.

Now that's an interesting thought. Is there a skidsteer mount one? I could see driving around busting the big stuff then pushing it into a pile by the horizontal.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
https://www.skidsteers.com/log-splitter-upside-down-skid-steer-attachment/?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNC0fp46HlvqCoYDE81G4aaKdVQ_lLjqDC_VVTRwf5hy7V826IRz01RoCccgQAvD_BwE
I have a different brand but same principal. The cylinder needs a push plate with the wedge fixed at the end so you can use the next block to push the ones that invariably hang on the wedge. I kept my SS model and bought a 3pt to SS adapter for the back of my tractor. Works fine although a little slower since much less flow.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Questions about my log splitter build

Started by woodworker9 on Firewood and Wood Heating

44 Replies
Last post December 20, 2019, 04:12:22 PM
by barbender
xx
Another splitter build - Hydraulic questions

Started by DeerMeadowFarm on Firewood and Wood Heating

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 09:47:30 PM
by lopet