iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut

Started by maineshops, December 06, 2021, 09:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineshops

I'm working with some butternut that I milled and dried in my shop with a fan on it. Been drying for several months. Half of it cracked in the stack. Other boards crack with a loud pop when cross cut . Did not treat ends. Does not appear to have grown on a hill. Any ideas on what I did wrong?
Phil:4, 13

Southside

Sounds like there was a lot of stress in the log. I have had 1x6 dry pine blow itself apart when I tried to rip it down to 1x3. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Crosscut? As in "through or near the pith?"  If so that's why they popped.  Butternut behaves like walnut to which it is related.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

jb616

I had some Walnut that split end to end when the sawblade exited the cant. I just figured that someone gave me some large limbs rather than a log. I did get a few boards when I turned the cant 90 degrees and cut again but then some of them did the same when I tried to edge them later with a circular saw and guide. 

SwampDonkey

I air dried mine. Not a lot of water in it to begin with, like white cedar. I cut straight gun barrel logs growing in maple forest, limbs started way up the tree.

Never had it split any distance, maybe an end check.

Dove tailed edge on top, ends and front.

Finger jointed chest

The lid to that moose box is very stable to, there is a fine line thinner than a finger nail along near the edge where the grain is 90 degrees. I was surprised, if it were ash it would leave probably 1/8" gap.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

You did nothing wrong. The log was full of growth stress.  Some logs just are.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JoshNZ

You can usually see stresses being relieved while you're milling, I quite often see walnut cants or slabs splitting down the middle. If they're pulling apart across the pith and not bowing, they get heavily edged, all or most of the sapwood taken off. The heart is usually not so bad.

Have never cut butternut though, and I'm still a newbie, so only my $.02 =)

maineshops

Thanks for the help on this. In strictly a novice when it comes to milling. The wife bought me a Oscar 18 when I retired. We h/ad a log cabin built on 25 acres in northern Maine. Been woodworking all my life so beans able to cut my lumber and use it is a dream come true. Biggest problem I have is a 20 year old ambition in a 80 year old body. My dr's tell me to be a little careful because Sapir parts for this old modal are becoming hard to find. .....Dan

SwampDonkey

Take care, but live that dream to. 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

maineshops

Great work on the boxes Swamp Donky I would post some pics but it looks complicated. Did a grandfather clock in cherry. Got to cut the tree down and go threw the whole process. Fun stuff. Dan

thecfarm

If I can post pictures, anyone can.  ;)

how to post pictures

Looks like a lot at first, but do it 2-3 times and it goes quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JoshNZ

I had a guy pay up front and in a bit of a rush the other day, for a bit over a cube of sarking. I dragged my partner out there, I'm only 32 she's 25 and we did 7 hours at it, both felt like we were a hundred years old the next day if it makes you feel any better! I'm more of a leisure sawyer and unseasoned mind you but i sure feel the big days.

Congratulations to you old-timers still at it!

maineshops

Yup I'm circling the drain and milling the long boards keeps me afloat. Still havin fun. Dan

Thank You Sponsors!