iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln too tall to move

Started by Brad_bb, August 06, 2022, 01:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Of all the solar kiln builds, I don't recall having seen one built that can be taken apart enough to reduce the height enough to move- to make it 12 feet or less when on a lowboy trailer.

Did I miss one?  I just wonder if you could make the top several feet of the kiln attach with plates that mate up with sil seal?  Has anyone built their solar kiln so that it ban be moved?  If you ever decide to sell it, then it can transported if it's built to lower the height.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

Brad, back in 2011 I was given a free solar kiln - all I had to do was move it.  I've created a post outlining the process that I used.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=119851.msg1924384#msg1924384

You might not have access to the same equipment as I did at the time, but this may give you some ideas.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

wkf94025

I've never taken either kiln on the road, but we have moved them around on site quite easily.  Obviously when empty.  Rough dimensions of the kilns are 22' x 8' (north wall) x 5' (south wall) x 4' (depth between N and S walls).  My Bobcat T76 with pallet forks and fork extensions has a nominal capacity of 2900#.  It lifts each kiln without too much trouble.  I don't recall floor stringer dimensions, but we went beefy to provide structural stiffness for this exact purpose.  Vaguely recall maybe 4x6 stringers, two per kiln, long axis.  It's not a compact load, obviously, but with proper site layout and pre-planning, I consider them mobile.  I could easily transport one on my 20' flat trailer, whose payload is 10,000#, or about 3x the lifting capacity of the skidsteer.  Kiln would hang off the ass end a few feet.  Trailer tongue weight might be a bit light.  ;-)

Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

farmfromkansas

Built my solar kiln on a welded pipe skid.  Used a double pipe for the long members, one on top of the other, and about 6 short pipes going crosswise.  Angled the front end like a sled.  My thoughts were that the welded frame would not flex as much as wood skids, and keep the kiln more stable after moving it.  Welded some strap iron pieces on to bolt to the outside framing members to hold the kiln in place on the skid.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!