iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Container kiln size advice needed

Started by OregonTimberWerker, January 28, 2023, 02:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OregonTimberWerker

I recently took delivery of my WoodMizer KD250 a.k.a. Nyle L200, with an extra fan.  (It took almost one year to get it).

I now need to build a chamber.  Initially, I was going to build the structure.  After reading many threads on this board, an insulated refer container seems to be the best option.

I will be drying Douglas Fir almost exclusively.  Capacity of the kiln is 1,500 bdft for softwoods.  A 20' insulated container is what I had planned on purchasing.  They are almost impossible to find, and very expensive.  It is cheaper and easier to find a 40' insulated container.

Should I make the kiln chamber the full 40', or partition the container down to 20'?  Please let me know your thoughts.

doc henderson

well some get the container and do the closed cell foam (I do not personally know the max temp without degrade).  I like your idea of a smaller end that could be a weather safe area for the controls, store blades and parts ect.  If you used the whole unit it would take longer to heat up and may take more fans.  I have one that is 20 foot and has doors on one end, but four hinged doors all along one side.  so it opens up to 18 feet clear span and is easy to load with a track loader.  not insulated.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

I have an L200 in a 40' refrigerated sea can with 6 fans in the baffle.  @YellowHammer has the same set up.  I would go that route and not look back, you can push the Nyle numbers pretty hard before you get in trouble.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Go big or go home. :D  The kiln will handle 1500 bdft green, but if it's air dried at all, then it can take more, up to 4,000 bdft.

Building a 40 footer is as much trouble as building a smaller container kiln, an although a 20 footer would work, you can still put a 20 footer sized load in a 40 footer and you can also put a 40 foot container sized load in a 40 footer.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

I don't know, didn't you try to put a 50' load into your 40' kiln one day? I recall a "beer can"  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

When YH uses the words "beer can", its a verb . . . as in an action with considerable force and extreme prejudice.   :) 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Yep, don't stop pushing until you hear something break.  

If Stan would build their machines out of 1" armor plate steel instead of tin foil..... it was merely a little love tap, and nothing that couldn't be fixed with a big hammer and a little cussing.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

I'm with you guys. Get the big one. I know I have pushed my kiln way past 2000 bf many times. I've even gone over 5000 ft a few times. It has to do with how air dried the lumber is and how fast the moisture is coming out. The kiln unit can only remove so much water per day. Nothing says you can't open a door a few times a day and release more. I have also been known to have my vent running pretty hard to pull moisture out, if the weather is in the right mood. I have also grown some nice looking mold in some loads but that stuff planes off easy enough and if it's blue stained pine anyway a little more stain just adds to it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

OregonTimberWerker

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.  "Go big or go home" is the best advice!

K-Guy

I would agree but we find 8 fans total is better especially for softwoods, you also need another vent kit. Call me and I'll explain how to install them as it's different from the chamber drawings for a 20' long or less chamber.

Yellowhammers referral to beer can, I think has to do with the drunken sticker placement on the load he used to try and destroy his L200.  :D

Customsawyer
I can't believe you would overdo anything.  smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!