iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6 Month Air Dried Walnut

Started by firefighter ontheside, January 29, 2023, 11:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

On this run of my drying shed I put some walnut in there that had only air dried for 6 months or so.  I usually wait a year, but this stuff was showing 15% with my meter.  It seems to be stalled at about 10%.  Everything else is down to between 7 and 8%.  I assume its because this stuff is closer to "green" its not ready to give up the moisture as easily as everything else.  I'm trying to decide if I should just finish everything else and let this stuff air dry longer or try to keep it all in there until this stuff gets down to 8%.  This may be my last load in the kiln before I remodel the shed into a proper kiln with a Nyle L53.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

where did you find a 53 first off.  I would take the done stuff out and put a little heat to it, then try to finish it.  if it runs up on your remodel time, you can always do airdry, or find a spot in an airconditioned space, as out in the yard it may gain moisture.  I assume your emc ambient is about 12%.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

customsawyer

How thick is the walnut? Walnut is bad about stalling. Chickens help but not much. Normally have to run the temp up to get mine to release the last little bit of moisture.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

With the price of eggs now you would be better off selling the Walnut for firewood as is to buy chicken feed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Or I can sell my eggs to fund the purchase of the L53.  I haven't bought the 53 yet.  I spoke to Stan a few weeks ago about buying one, but havent pulled that trigger yet.  Yes, 12% is about minimum I can get to when airdrying here in MO.  The walnut in question is only 4/4, which is one of the reasons I thought it was going to be OK to put it in so early.  I figured the 4/4 was going to dry just fine.  I could possibly sanitize and then move this walnut to my wifes office building and let it sit there for a few months in the conditioned air and see what it does.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

If it is in the kiln by itself, and gets heat, I bet it will help.  worth a try.  I thought the L53 production was on hold.  maybe got a shipping container.  In my ongoing debate about a kiln, Danny recommended that I only needed the L53, but I thought they were unavailable.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Well, all I know is that I was on the phone with Stan at Nyle and told him my intention of buying one and he didn't say they were unavailable.  I asked how long it would take to get one and he wasn't sure, because hes not in sales.  He told me what I should do to create the chamber in my shed and suggested I buy several extra L53 fans to build into a fan wall.  I just went to Nyle site and it lets me put one in shopping cart and go to check out.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

K-Guy

Sorry guys
We solved an issue we had with the l53's which is why we stopped production. They are available and as of right now the lead time for them and L200's may be 1-2 weeks.

Since chicken eggs are so expensive these day other birds may be used, pigeons, turkeys, etc. ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

doc henderson

moodnacreek

Wood air drying on sticks this time of year, no matter how long they have been there should be left alone until the wind of March have gone through, Wood that is not kept in a heated place is bloated  but windy above freezing and some sunny weather makes a big difference.

YellowHammer

What kind of heat can you put on it?  
You are only 3% to 2% off, sterilization at 150 generally drops the load 1% so you can raise the temps at 10%, drop to 9%, then finish the drying cycle to 7%.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

This time of year I will have to wait for an unseasonally warm day to sterilize, but that's a great idea to sterilize and then finish drying.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Brad_bb

Do you have a kiln Doc?  If so, it's just I don't recall you ever talking about it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

Like most things, DAD I think about it and study for 15 years or so.  This is a hobby/passion.  short answer is not yet.  I have dried wood to 7% under plastic with 14 buck temp and humidity monitors.  I also have the fluid and blanket warmer from a gov. auction and sterilize smaller pieces in my shop.  will build a solar at some point but may have to quit my job first.  Have been watching Nyle availability and price and may pull the trigger soon.  every year I wait, is one less year I will get to use it.  Short answer is no.  I am making plans to make a hot box for sterilizing, as I do not want to ruin my fluid warmer by using it too much with caustic humidity.  planning a 2 x 4 x 10 foot galvanized box to sterilize.  My local heating and air folks will fab the inside with duct insulation.  I will build it onto a pallet to move around outside.

Thank You Sponsors!