iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My log stash...(pics) and mill ordered finally...

Started by zopi, January 15, 2008, 05:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

We picked up another little camera today so I don't have to drag out the SLR every time I want a picture...so here is most of my log stash and my favorite skidder...(and my messy place...)

I ordered the mill today...added a bed section (whatsa point if you can't saw at least 16'?) and a logrite cant hook.. 8)

now the torture of anticipation starts...

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bibbyman

Congratulations!  Did you get the 25hp upgrade?   

One nice thing about the extra bed section,  when you're sawing shorter logs and you got help,  they can stack the flitches and clamp them on down the bed so you can just run down and edge them.   Or....  They can be loading or turning one log while you're sawing another.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

I got the 15hp...another 1000 and I'd a bought a used lt25 or 28.. ;D 

For our intended purpose and the size of logs we'll usually see I think we'll be ok.

we're buying the mill for personal use...basically to save money...the lumber costs for
flooring the addition and re-siding the barns would be prohibitive otherwise..logs are easy to scrounge...milled lumber..
not so much.. ;D so the 7800 bucks we gave for the mill, etc. is basically justified once I get those projects done.

but then...I can see how this often works out...folks are drawn to sawmills like moths to flame...I've already been
asked to saw for several people and i don't have the bloody saw yet..(or know how to use it ;D)

We will learn on this one, and if by some dumb chance it pays off we'll look at upgrading..if I do upgrade in a couple years it'll
be a used 40 or 50...

one note of interest, I asked archie to add the gear reduction for the head crank to my order...it seems the new mils
are coming with it...nothing to compare to, but I will report on it's performance...She Who Must Be Obeyed has some
issues with repetitive motion, so we have to try and make it as easy as possible on her.. (no, I tried the hydraulic mill angle..no go.. :D) 

heh..I work for the government..I am a master of self justification..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ohio_Bill

Zopi , I take it you ordered a LT15 .  I had one and was very happy with it, cut over a 100,000 bft with it. Mine had a 13 hp engine .  I am sure you will have good luck with it.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thecfarm

That's why I bought my mill,to save on the cost of lumber.Kinda foolish to spend $6000 on lumber and just have the buildings.I spent that much and still have a sawmill.I'll let you use mine until yours comes in.   :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cantcutter

Hard to believe they get that much for an all manual mill. It will be worth it in the long run though, I never regretted buying my mill ;D

zopi

Quote from: thecfarm on January 15, 2008, 08:58:53 PM
That's why I bought my mill,to save on the cost of lumber.Kinda foolish to spend $6000 on lumber and just have the buildings.I spent that much and still have a sawmill.I'll let you use mine until yours comes in.   :D

and besides...there is always the >toys< factor..i've spent years collection decent WW tools, and never really had the
decent lumber to do anything with..dunno if I posted the story on here, but i was recently given most of the machinery out of a
high school shop...gotta git bizzy and build a shop building ;D

Sure let me grab my snow chains and moose catcher...i'll be right there...save me some lobstah! :D

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: cantcutter on January 15, 2008, 09:41:52 PM
Hard to believe they get that much for an all manual mill. It will be worth it in the long run though, I never regretted buying my mill ;D

yeah..but apparently they sell like hotcakes and the used market never seems to slow down much...

:D give a man a board, and he'll putter in the shop...give him a sawmill and you'll only see him at mealtimes.
(at least until he gets the kitchen built in his shop.. ;)
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

brdmkr

Zopi,

You are hooked!  Congratulations!  Good job with the pics.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

HI. My name is Lee. I started with just a freehanded board from a chainsaw every now and then. I really couldn't see the harm in it. Before you know it, I had bought a manual mill to fix my ever growing habit. I'm now totally and hopelessly addicted with an LT40super to supply my habit. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking your stronger than the dust. :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!