iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiwi Berries

Started by Tom, October 30, 2009, 09:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

What the heck are Kiwi Berries.  Gael came home with a package of them tonight and I said, "what the heck is a Kiwi Berry".  She said, I don't know. They were on sale.

So I came to the computer to find out.  Just a label on the box that said, "wash before eating" wasn't enough.

Well, as it turns out, they are miniature, grape-sized Kiwi Fruits.  You know, that fuzzy lemon sized thing with the green inside and the black seeds?  Well these are the same except that they are little and not fuzzy.   I might have to try one later.

The sites on the computer say that their season is short so get them while you can.  Hmmm.  I'll consider that, I guess, but would I really miss them if I miss the season, when I didn't know thy existed anyway? ???

There is really not much to them. 6 oz. to a serving,  1% fat, 10% carbs, and 31% fiber.  Heck, I could get that by eating grape vines.  ;D

fishpharmer

Never heard of them.  Maybe one of our Kiwi friends can enlighten us further.
I do like the regular Kiwi fruit. ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Tom,

If you run short of grapevines, I have plenty that I can send you to re-stock  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

I never particularly cared for the taste of shoe polish myself, though it does smell kinda good.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tree Reb

Quote from: fishpharmer on October 30, 2009, 10:06:51 PM
Never heard of them.  Maybe one of our Kiwi friends can enlighten us further.
I do like the regular Kiwi fruit. ;D

Don't trust those Kiwi's.  lol

Kiwi Fruit is really a Chinese Gooseberry, we grew them when I was a kid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiwifruit

Are your's like these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooseberry

fishpharmer

Kiwifruit are my choice.

DanG, it finally sunk in what you was talking about.  The "Kiwi" shoe polish.  Now that fella that started that company was pretty smart.  I never tasted the stuff but had my fair share of smelling and trying to rub a hole into footware with it. ;)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

Pretty much like THESE

The outfit that packaged the ones that ended up in my house was HURST

Actually, they are pretty good and make a good snack.   I find, unlike anything I've read, that there is a very slight taste familiar with muscadine grapes.  The smooth skin makes them pleasant feeling in the mouth and the flavor is rich enough that a small handful is sufficient.

Ernie

I've lived in New Zealand for the last 38 years and have never heard of these things and I suppose that if I had died yesterday, I never would have.  I cant seem to find any producers in NZ but I am still looking.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

fishpharmer

Ernie, that's really funny to me.  Kiwi fruit may be like the shoe polish, a name for marketing.

I got an Idea for my milling service Kiwi Redneck Sawyer Inc. :D

Ianab

Never tried them myself, but I have seen them in the shop, they seem to be a new things here too.

Reading Tom's link, they are related to the berries that the classic Kiwifruit was developed from. From memory the original Chinese fruit was smaller and never became popular untill they bred it into the bigger 'Chinese Gooseberry', which was renamed as Kiwifruit for marketing reasons.

If it's anything like the Kiwifruit vine it will probably become an invasive weed soon enough  ;)

Ian

PS

Ernie - Site for the local producers.
http://www.nzkiwiberry.com/index.html
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Thanks Ian, maybe I should stick a few plants in and see what happens although, I never could get Kudzu to grow, could be my black thumb ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

ScottAR

Will Kudzu grow upside down?   :)
We Americans can't get it to stop growing... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

I knew China had to have something to do with it. :D

I have an $8 watch made in China. When all the nickle plating wore off, guess what's under it? Copper. All the copper your scrapping and sending over there so I can have an $8 watch. If nothing else, it'll keep the rheumatism away. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I just wanted those who may be interested to know, that if you have been depending on prunes, these kiwi berries have them beat hands down.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :D

Mooseherder

smiley_airfreshener smiley_smelly_skunk smiley_tom_dizzyguy03

SwampDonkey

Talking about prunes. My father is real fussy about where his prunes come from. Apparently, he goes by taste and knows when someone buys him shotty prunes.  :-X  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Yeah!  I know.  We used to not let California fruit into the State either.  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!