iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood on a Hakki Pilkie 1x37

Started by GRANITEstateMP, April 09, 2017, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Good to here it's working out. I have several of the smaller ones on different equipment around the farm and have had zero issues with them. One of these days I will need to replace one of my larger motors and I will give the one you bought a try. I need to get some wood processed before grain harvest starts. 

GRANITEstateMP

hedgerow,

I'm trying to get my order list done before it's time to chop corn, it's gonna be close!  i haven't been much help around the in-laws farm this year with all the projects I got going, it'd be nice to help them with that.  I'm sure my order list will have grown once corn is done!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

End of the season updates:

With any luck, we'll be able to process wood this weekend.  We're currently at 107 cord for the year, I'd love to hit 110, but weather, time, and helpers will determine that!  We are trying to work up all the larger diameter stuff that the processor won't eat, so it's a nice change of pace.

The Predator has held up good, BUT, it's NO Honda, and its pretty cold blooded (as one of you guys told me they tend to be). Once started it's fine, getting there sometimes requires a warm can of carb clean and a short snort... wouldn't be so bad, but you got to remove an engine cover to get to the air cleaner ;),

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Bruno of NH

Did you cover the fan opening with cardboard ?
Mine started well in the cold.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GRANITEstateMP

Bruno,

No, I didnt, maybe I will try next time?  It's a cold blooded girl! 

No real gripes other than that.  It's not a Honda, but it does the job and it was 1/3 the price, so if it needs a short of carb clean when it's below freezing, then I dont mind too much ;D

We got 2.5 more cord done yesterday.  I will have to do a final tally, but we should be right around 110 cord for the year.  That's not too bad for what we got and when we do it!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

2020 Updates:

All the machines are still up and running. Getting ready to do another LOF on the Pred motor this week. We are hoping to add a second (used) dump trailer to the wood operation this week or next. We're at 45 cord for the year so far, the second trailer will help keep production going when I got help around!

Also added a Blue Diamond skid steer splitter for the big ugly pieces that pop up. We haven't run but a few splits through that yet, trying to knock the easy stuff out first.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Hey GSMP, glad to see you're still at it. Sometimes people get discouraged after a year or two and quit doing firewood. It's a lot of work so you really have to enjoy it to stay with it.
All the best to you, and keep us posted.

Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

Cutter,

Still plugging away. Doing wood the way we do, keeps me in cheap heat, and gets me some side money too. I haven't advertised on a few years, mostly word of mouth from long time customers. Every year I loose a few and gain a few. A fella that's hacking up a wood lot down the road from me for 3 customers last year, he was $30 a cord cheaper than me. He's still cutting the same lot this year, but I got all 3 customers back, seems his cheaper cords didn't stack out to a full load....
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

cutterboy

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on May 19, 2020, 05:25:19 AM
Cutter,

seems his cheaper cords didn't stack out to a full load....
That is a real problem for people buying firewood. Many guys selling firewood don't give a full cord. And a lot of firewood sold as seasoned wood is half green.
If you sell firewood that is dry at a fair price and a full measure, you will always have customers.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

GRANITEstateMP

Been pretty busy around here lately! We got 4 cord done and delivered last Sunday, then it was maint. time. All the equipment got grease, oil changes, the tractor got new coolant fuel filters, and 2 new hydraulic filters.

I did up a cord midweek, to make sure everything was shipshape, then me and a buddy did 2 more cords Friday, and it was HOT! Reloaded the log deck Day and we got 4 more done and delivered today. We did 2 cord of 18in off the processor, then we got a chance to try out our new toy, I mean tool ;D Me and a buddy went in halves on a BlueDiamond splitter that's mounts to a skidsteer.  We needed something rugged to handle the oversized and ugly rounds that were too big for the processor.

We are still trying to figure out the best way to be most productive with it, but after two cord of 20in cordwood, my back is still happy! We cut all the rounds 20in, then the skid steer would grad a round in the splitter and as it was traveling (5 - 10 yards) he'd start to split it. Most of these splits went into the splitter a final time, BUT, they were a much more manageable size.  We hope to take a lot of the wood we've struggled with in the past and make it to quicker, easier, and safer.

Splitting a round and dropping it near the brow

Brow, to splitter, and into the dump trailer.

This is the view from the back of the dump trailer... Right before I was told to get back to work :D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

Oh yeah, forgot to mention , we're pretty darn happy with the Blue Diamond. We've named it Neil Diamond, and since this is Red Sox country, I was singing some "Sweet Caroline" while we worked!  Don't worry, it was loud enough so nobody could hear my horrid singing.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Spike60

I like that this thread has been brought back a few times for the updates. A good ongoing story need not disappear after it's initial posting.

Question on the oil filter: You mentioned that it's the same as on your Cub Cadet mower. Assuming that your Cub has either a Kohler, Kawi, or Briggs engine, and the preditor uses one of those filters?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

GRANITEstateMP

Spike,

Thanks for the reply.  I know my Cubby doesn't have the 
Kari engine, wish it did!

The Predator started farting and popping today. It's not fuel, I'm using the same fuel, from same jug in other machines.  I may start with plugs, but I'm not optimistic...

We did get 3 more cord done, but the Pres wasn't super happy :(
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Spike60

Yup, check the plugs first. See if one looks different from the other. Could be ignition. Could also be valves. Those Preditor and other similar engines are a little like the knock off chainsaws; gotta cross your fingers and hope you get a good one.

Problem with Preditor is a lack of support here in the US. Customer has one on a splitter and it needed a starter cover or something. Called HF and they said, "we don't sell parts for those engines" Gave me the name of a go kart company in Indiana that "might be able to help". Wow, that's helpful. But for $99, just buy another motor I guess.

Ocasionally these engines will accept Kohler or Honda parts from the engines that "inspired" them, such as carbs or mufflers. Some gaskets. We see some Champion splitters and Gen sets out there but we won't take them or any of these things in for repair because we don't want to chase parts for products that don't have a traditional parts supplier in place. We're lucky that we have so much work that we can be selective on what we work on, but I know it's frustrating for people when these things break. Hope yours is something simple!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Hilltop366

Drain and collect to inspect (if possible) the gas from the float bowl just incase there is a little bit of water in there. It is a quick, cheep and easy check to eliminate a possible problem.

Another thing to check is the low oil shutdown if equipped as well as the ignition switch.

GRANITEstateMP

Thanks guys!  I ordered some NGK plugs today, they'll replace the "Torch" brand that it came with ;)and

We are finally getting some much needed rain, so I may not be able to tackle it Tues either, but I plan on doing plugs, and now I'll drain the bowls too.  Might as well fire a fuel filter at it also.  

I was leary about the Pres for parts / quality reasons when I bought it, but $750 for 22ish hp was worth rolling the dice.  I feel like it's gonna be a valve train issue, but like I said, we'll try the easy stuff first and then reassess.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

barbender

Torch brand spark plugs...I had not heard of that brand before😂
Too many irons in the fire

Spike60

Torch plugs are Chinese and come standard on a lot of those odd motors. Often see them on name brand mowers using "private labeled" engines. Really nothing wrong with them, but like you said, a good place to start. There's usually an NGK equivalent which is a good thing. Hardly anyone stocks Torch plugs.

Hilltop's suggestion to check for water in the carb is a good one, and it's another simple step to take. I know you mentioned that other equipment is running fine on fuel from the same jug. But water in a gas tank doesn't always originate in the fuel can. Sometimes it'll find it's way into the individual machine.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

hedgerow

NGK plugs are all I use in air cooled engines. They seem to last the best. I sure would do a compression test while I had the plugs out. That will give you a idea if you have a valve or valve train issue. 

GRANITEstateMP

Hedgerow,

I really don't want to do a comp test, or pull a valve cover!  Then it'll really be a problem, right now, it potentially is just bad gas and plugs... :-\
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Nathan4104

is there a strainer/filter on the fuel line in the tank like some honda's?   

hedgerow

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on June 30, 2020, 05:36:07 PM
Hedgerow,

I really don't want to do a comp test, or pull a valve cover!  Then it'll really be a problem, right now, it potentially is just bad gas and plugs... :-\
I hope that it's bad gas or plugs but it only take a couple minutes while you have the plugs out to check the compression. Then you know if you need to pull the valve covers or not. I have a Kohler 23 on a mower that just turned 1000 hours and has only had the plugs replaced once. 

Corley5

The 2nd Honda GX670 on my Block Buster had three sets of plugs over it's 4,700 hour life span.  The 5.5 hp Honda on the elevator is living with a Torch plug.  The NGK went dead last winter after a huge number of hours.  I didn't have a new one in stock but have a Chonda in the shed.  The Chonda doesn't have a plug in it now ;) :) but I've got a couple new NGKs in the tool box.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

I did pull the valve covers, all looked good. Waiting on my buddy to swing by after work with comp gauge. Going to install the fuel filter, new plugs after that. Checked air filter (banged out a bit of saw dust) and carbs when I pulled the fuel filter.  Should know better in a couple hours! Better check my plug gaps before I forget, again ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

GRANITEstateMP

well, that was fun :( We did a compression check, twice, just to be sure. One cylinder was 80psi, the other was 140psi. So much for bad fuel :'( 

I put the new filters and plugs in, runs ok, but I never got it all warmed up either, just made sure it runs again.

I think it was a bit over a year ago when we mounted that motor.  Kinda bummed it only made it that long, I was hoping for two years!  I think we'll run it til it pop's, not much sense putting good money into a Chonda, I may but another, or revisit Honda? Pretty sure the Honda's were double the price and you still had to add the muffler... Gonna have to ponder that a bit more... Or maybe get creative with warranty ???
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

Thank You Sponsors!