iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandsaw mill

Started by Cjross73, April 08, 2019, 06:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjross73

Anyone know of plans built bandsaw Mills that have been reasonably functional? Kits? Or is it one of those things that you will spend more trying to build it than buying a proven design?

I seem to be getting the milling bug seeing what you all are sawing
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

btulloh

If you think you've got the bug now, wait until you get a sawmill!   8)
HM126

Southside

Don't do it, don't do it, Run Forest Run while you can.  :D Before you realize it you will be buying loaders, edgers, kilns, a bigger mill, traveling to Georgia to eat BBQ. It never ends!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Cjross73

No doubt, this is what got me started and caused me to find this forum. I may be beyond hope...

http://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/55094/IMG_20190401_194714.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1554764991

Mike W

I spent over seven months thinking I was going to build a band saw mill, sources all the materials, sadly mostly from China direct due to cost prohibiting sourcing locally, wanted a wide saw head to handle all the timber I might encounter here on my property which has thousands of trees, with hundreds requiring a mill capable of handling wide material.  Watched most (I think) of Matt Cremona's videos of his mill build (which is quite impressive) to motivate me to build my own, which I personally have the skill set to due such.  After an extensive R&D period, I ended up buying a pre-manufactured unit from WM, glad I did, as I was making a lot of saw dust, and some boards to boot a couple days after it arrived rather then spending the next 6 months working out the kinks.  A lot of great builds here on the FF site, no doubt about it, impressive to say the least.  I ultimately decided to purchase a tried and true unit in lieu of the build as I was making dust much sooner then I would should I have chosen the other route.  Each situation is unique for each individual, would think the question would be, do I want to spend the time and effort building a mill, working through all the details of adjustments and rebuilding to get what I really need or want, or start making sawdust....  After all said and done, as mentioned I ended up with a mill that already went through the R&D phases and testing and was cutting some nice lumber much sooner then I would have should the build went forward as initially planned, and the cost worked out pretty close to a flush.  either way, as mentioned already, once the bug gets you, there is no cure other then more dust making, to keep the bug fed.

best of luck on whatever you decide is the right direction for you, update your post as you progress, its great to see these develop in the making.

Mike

Dana Stanley

If you would enjoy building one, and have the skill set, why not. I wouldn't recommend it as a way to save money though. If I were a younger man, I would buy a WM lt 40, or 50 wide, and make it pay for itself over a couple of years. If you look for Old Jarhead posts here on the forum, I think he was able to pay for his, and a truck and camper in 2 years part time. There is a company that sells a kit, and or just the head, but I don't think you end up saving a lot. ( Linn Lumber Sawmills)
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Cjross73

Thanks for the info everyone. While I do enjoy building things and probably have the ability to get one built, I'm not a fan of trying to reinvent the wheel unless it's going to result in enough savings to justify the effort. I will be watching the used market and find a mill. It's going to be as a hobby for a while as work keeps me pretty busy these days.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer makes some good mills for the price of a good zero turn mower also others.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Crusarius

I enjoyed building mine. I saved a ton of money doing it. I also learned a ton while building it since I never had any sawing experience prior to building mine. As I began sawing I learned what I should do on the next build. I do not regret it at all.

bwstout

I too enjoyed building my mill and like most other still make mods on it, which is still fun. The experience gained in building one and knowing everything about it is a value that you want have if you buy. However I spent a year building it, I did not build it for a business however have made some cash with it. If I were going to use it for a business then I would certainty  be looking for a good production mill. So if you decided to build one there is a guy that goes by the name of Texas Ben that has a couple of videos he sells his plans on eBay for 10.00 that are quite detailed with material and cut list. I used his plan and made some changes in it. But the design is solid it will cut true and is a heavy machine when you get it together.

If you have the skills and equipment and time to build then do it, the first board you cut, the first project you build there is not a greater satisfaction

This was my first project from a pecan tree that I cut and dry for a couple of years and then built the island for my oldest daughter, I never would have did it without the mill, nor did I have the funds just go out and buy a mill but over time I was able to build it. 
home built mill

Cjross73

I think I would enjoy the build as much as sawing but I'm not sure I have the time. Still thinking about both options

Best out, that's a beautiful table. I have a pecan I'm about to drop so that really makes me want a mill

opticsguy

You will run out of time before you run out of money.  

When I started thinking about sawmills, I RAN to the order form and had my mill in hand in a short time and been cutting wood ever since.  

Building a sawmill is kind of like a hobby.  Sawing wood can be a hobby or a profession.  The time to build a mill in your spare time?  not sure but 6 months?  a year?  You could be cutting wood.   

Either way, have fun!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

bwstout

Quote from: Cjross73 on April 09, 2019, 08:00:28 PM
I think I would enjoy the build as much as sawing but I'm not sure I have the time. Still thinking about both options

Best out, that's a beautiful table. I have a pecan I'm about to drop so that really makes me want a mill
Thank you I would encourage you to get you a mill it is work but pleasure to saw. You will look at ever tree a little different. They are all different and have there own potential to be something beautiful
home built mill

Cjross73

You are right about that, I have 2 24-30" oak trees and a 30"+ red gum I have to take down to build my new barn. Already thinking about the possibilities

bwstout

Well you have 3 good reason to have mill ;D
home built mill

Cjross73

I now find myself looking at down trees while driving between job sites. I am going to have to have one. At least I try to have hobbies I can make a little $ with....

Thank You Sponsors!