iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with a dig pattern.

Started by Jeff, June 04, 2023, 04:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

If you have suitable hard dirt that will compact under the top soil I would start at the end (furthest point) were you want the have the dirt go and dig off the top soil and put to one side with the rear bucket as you make your way to the pond extension. Then set aside a strip of topsoil two backhoe widths wide for the pond and dig a strip one width wide of subsoil to pond depth and put it on the next stripped part to fill it in as you go along once that is filled in use the rest to start building your road to the place were the dirt will go by digging with the back bucket then pushing it to the stripped road area with the front. Repeat until pond is desired width. Doing it this way you will only travel on topsoil a few times while digging it off then will be on hard pan the rest. The last step would be to move the top soil with the front bucket.

Jeff

I'm putting a video together of the work I did today that may give a better idea of the lay of the land.

I'm going to go to the far end of where I want the pond and dig a deep test hole to see what I have to work with.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

YellowHammer

That looks like FUN!  As you say "Every day is a new idea."
I like that phase.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

Robert, as far as I know that is the first time my brain ever put those words together. I like it too. :)

Old Greenhorn

I always say 'tomorrow is another day', which to me, means the same thing, it will look different to me tomorrow. But I like you phrasing better. Too bad it's too late to steal it, it yours now. :) :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Walnut Beast

I'm sure your sister will be impressed. Looking good!

thecfarm

Yes, make a video. 
I wished I would have taken more of all the projects I have done here. 
I've only just started to take my advice.
It's interesting to look back on how it was and how it is.
Good luck with The Dig.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

Agreed cfarm. My wife is a monster of getting things done and yard transformations, with her, can happen very quickly but she doesn't ever think to take pictures along the way. I try to remember for her but often forget. It's neat to see what things look like before, during, and after.

Good video Jeff! A tough lesson, if you haven't figured it out already is getting your hoe hoses stuck or cut by or on tree branches. Beware! Also, you are making me think it'd be nice to have one of those rakes for the tractor, looks pretty slick. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Jeff

That rake has been a great tool. 

Jeff

Testing! Testing!!  I went out and dug a proper hole to see what was really down there. We have over 2" of rain potential by Tuesday, so no time to start a dig in ernest. Normal years it would never be this dry this time of year. I'll be waiting for an extended forecast calling for zero rain for a week.

Digging for Valuable Clues. - YouTube

Old Greenhorn

When you quit work for the day and leaving that hole the way it was I had the same thought about it being a wildlife trap. Glad you fixed that. The alternative is to dig a long ramp on one end of the hole so that anything that falls in could walk out. That would give you some practice on shaping the sides which will come up soon anyway.

Are you going to make the whole pond that deep? Varying the depth might make the fish habitat better with a few deep holes for wintering over.
 I love watching the 'Jeff's summer project' video because I know in a few months you will have it nearly done and I learn a lot during your journey.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Resonator

Good to see clay for building a pond. smiley_thumbsup
I agree with OG, if you ever get an animal that ends up in a hole, dig a ramp. Also when doing a large dig for safety they'll dig a bench on the side, to step down into the hole. This also helps minimize the high wall caving off.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Jeff

I wish I had a transit. I'd probably start by shaping new banks to just above the current water level before  I even start to dig for any depth. I've also noted that that bowl has a pretty good layer of top soil that could be used elsewhere, but I can just imagine what a slippery surface with just a touch of rain it would become if it was graded off.

Jeff

That hole was 12ft long, the width of the bucket, and 8-9ft deep. The video before time lapse of the actual digging was 23 minutes.

chet

Were you able to come up with a trash pump?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Not yet, but I have no intentions of starting to start actually digging yet.

Jeff

One thing I noted as I was digging. If I had someone there with a tracked skid steer moving the dirt as I pulled it out, things would go fast.

Crusarius

I am for hire :) Just get me a machine and a time :)

Jim_Rogers

I believe the black soil is the regular ground material of your area that has had organic vegetation in it, that has rotted to make it black.
Maybe someone who know more about that than me can say if I'm right or not.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

glad you filled it back for now.  A couple day push when you are ready will work.  you may want to skim the top soil off and pile separately to use sparingly where you need it.  The clay is good news for sealing up the new pond.  A track loader working with you is a good idea.  they move while working faster and can help clean up the final shape.  If the majority of the fill needs to move a ways then a small dump truck would help.  there is no hurry but for the rains that will make extra work to pump out.  I dug mine with just a skid steer in the day so the slope helps you get in and out.  a track loader can float on top of soil and packs it rather than making ruts and getting stuck.  you will want a day when you break the dam so you can try to get all the wildlife transferred to the new hole.  may have a few or many fish needing moved if they do not go with the flow.  the extendable boom with help when you then clear the bottom of the old pond to a similar depth of the new pond area.  you can reach the slime without "standing in it".  wish I lived closer. 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

Rent a dozer for me to help and I'll pay my own way. :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

doc henderson

can you give the dimensions of the new dig area and the depth plan and the total yards of removal can be estimated.  it may help you plan for how long this might take and if it makes sense to have additional equipment and help.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

newoodguy78

I you don't have access to a transit. Consider making a water level. All you need is a long length of clear tubing. Set one end fixed to a stake and fill with water. The water in the tube will be at the same elevation no matter where it is. If nothing else it gives you a point of reference to measure off of. Tubing is way cheaper than a transit and you can use it by yourself.

doc henderson

My brother used a hand held transit to get things close doing road construction.  I have two transits, a laser and a manual one.  you can buy clear tubes that adapt to a garden hose ends and the pond water may be easier to see than clear.  I have a set of those you could borrow, but may cost more to ship than buy.  you could just fill the pond and the low spots will become obvious.   :)

these are both under 20 bucks.

Thank You Sponsors!