iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade guide bearings

Started by Bruno of NH, March 25, 2020, 05:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2020, 10:16:49 PMbut with not enough or improperly greased it was defective.

That's my point. A quick 5 minute check on a new bearing and it's fixed
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

Correct, you have fixed a defect.  

As I said somewhere else today: "there are two sides to every coin, but it is still the same coin"  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2020, 10:36:24 PMCorrect, you have fixed a defect.

Yes, and would you rather install a bearing with a defect or one with the defect fixed and hopefully avoid having to change it out in another 200 hours?

Anyway, each his own.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

btulloh

Quote from: donbj on March 26, 2020, 09:19:38 PMNew sealed bearings failing in short order is not always a defective bearing. How does one know if they have sufficient grease in them? It takes 5 minutes to do a couple bearings when purchased.

I'm learning something here . . . you can grease sealed bearings?
HM126

dirtmotor

You can , just carefully remove seal and grease and replace , but like someone else said you can over grease and cause bearings to overheat .

Magicman

Most assuredly I will not be opening new sealed bearing and squirting grease on the odd chance that they might not be properly greased from the manufacturer.

I just had a Wood-Mizer Field Service done and Bob replaced my blade guides (with new ones that I already had) that had been on the sawmill since my last Field Service which was done 4 years ago.  Of course I kept the old guides and I also have a couple of bearing kits for a quick replacement if I have a bearing failure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Wondering if it may have something to do with the fact windshield wash fluid  contains alcohol and alcohol can work through seals that will hold grease dissolving and contaminating the sealed in lubricant . I use alchohol as a degreaser.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

YellowHammer

As people know, I'm a big fan of Spindle Cleaner, or any other water/oil emulsion additive.    Just as it keeps the bands oiled, nice and shiny, it lubricates the shoulders of the band rollers to help prevent "scrubbing" when sawing hard, and I'm convinced it also contributes to the longevity of the rollers and bearings, much like @Larry mentions.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

John S

My first LT40 had about 670 hours and my current LT40 Wide has just over 350 on it. no issues with blade guide bearings.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Weekend_Sawyer

I had my second bearing failure in 18 years recently.
My guide rollers have 2 stacked bearings in them.
Both failures were the inner bearing on the exit side of the mill.

I have one spare roller with bearings ready to put on so after replacing I  knocked the bearings out and replaced the bad one and put that roller on the shelf as the spare. Works for me.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

GAB

Jim:
Per your request.
This is the velocity fuse I broke.

This is the broken piece with the extraction tool.

New extractors I purchased to remove the broken piece from the cylinder.
The one that fits for the velocity fuses is in the sawmill tool box.

The next two pictures show the two 1" pipe spacers I added to keep the hydraulic 
cylinder centered so that the velocity fuse will not hit the side of the opening for it.

W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

donbj

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2020, 08:37:57 AMMost assuredly I will not be opening new sealed bearing

Oh come on, I bet you went out and checked one out.;D Just kidding. I enjoy following your adventures.

Bandmill Bandit

There is a reason I ONLY buy SKF and NTN bearings. You NEVER need to even think about opening one of those up to ADD grease. 

Cheap bearings indicate of a chincy operation!
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

teakwood

Quote from: Magicman on March 27, 2020, 08:37:57 AMMost assuredly I will not be opening new sealed bearing and squirting grease on the odd chance that they might not be properly greased from the manufacturer.

I'm with Magicman on this one, the bearing company probably knows better than the average Joe how much grease is adequate for perfect roller functions. I think they do their homework  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Bandmill Bandit

I do own a grease needle to add grease to sealed bearings where the seals are compromised as a result of wear and tear from use. It is a bandaid solution to extend the life of the bearing to get through a job and then repalce the bearing.

If a new bearing requires grease BEFORE it is installed it isnt worth the powder to blow it out the shop door. OVER greasing bearings with cheap grease is a far more costly method of damaging bearings long before they are designed to fail, than under greasing will ever do. Good sealed bearings last a long time. 

There are people that will disagree with me, BUT for bearings I buy a high grade best quality silicone Marine grade of grease in a case lot 12 tubes that runs about $150 bucks for the case. I use a max of tube and a half a year on my saw mill. I only grease till I HEAR the grease"squeak"! NEVER more that.  

I do not want to see copious amounts of grease squeezing out all over the machine. It attracts dirt like glue and causes premature wear! IF I do over grease I clean with brake clean to stop dirt attraction before it starts.  

For bushings I use a regular marine grease that runs about 4 bucks a tube and I grease the same way; till I hear the grease "squeak".          
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

terrifictimbersllc

Regarding taking bearings out and putting them back in....

I wouldnt know how to knock out a bearing from the guide roller without probably damaging it.  

Putting a new one in, I use the right size socket which contacts only the bearing outer rim.  

Knocking one out, because the roller opening is smaller on that side, I am punching on the seal/ball bearings themselves.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!