iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D or Better Pine Question

Started by Solar_HoneyBee0, August 15, 2018, 11:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solar_HoneyBee0

Good evening everyone,

I feel like i'm always on here asking questions, but i'm man enough to admit that when it comes to the lumber market I'm still learning my way. So, I appreciate everyone taking time out and answering my questions.

So, a few posts ago I had mentioned how I met a farmer with some Beech lumber. I ended up not going with the Beech because even though it was dirt cheap I couldn't find anyone that was interested in the lumber. The sheer amount he had I could never use myself. I ended up getting some nice soft maple and cherry. Anyways, this same farmer (lets call him farmer A) just called me up this evening and asked me if I was interested in buying some D or better Pine. Apparently a good friend of his (farmer B) had some cut recently and his project fell through and would like to unload it.

Well, here's where I would like some advice. I am going to look at it tomorrow afternoon, but am at a loss. What's a fair price for this lumber? I just can't find much information on it by me. Farmer A wasn't sure of the specifics, but said it's "D or better, kiln dried, S2S, 5/4 x random widths x 8' - 14' long." I have looked at the internet and tried to find prices, but the only price I found was in Ohio and that was around $5.00 per board foot. Does this sound about right? Also, what are the uses for this specific lumber? The internet just said "furniture and trim". Ideally, depending on the amount this person has I would like to keep some, but sell the rest. 

Someone on here once mentioned a monthly hardwood journal. Would this journal have a lot of this specific information i'm asking? I remember it was around $300/subscription. Honestly, if it would help give me an idea for price and use of the lumber its worth the price.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the Advice.

Solar

WDH

The Hardwood Market Report does not include pine prices.  The publication for wholesale pine prices is called Random Lengths. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ljmathias

WD: for those of us to poor or cheap to buy the information, can you give us an idea of price over recent years? Seems like it's staying pretty low to me- not even worth cutting my few acres even if I could get someone to do it without tearing up the land.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

D grade pine is clear pine lumber.  The highest grade to 1x pine.  lj, are you referring to logs (stumpage)?  That is a different animal. 

Solar Bee, I will try to get you the wholesale price for D grade pine from one of my contacts in the Commercial Pine Sawing Business. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solar_HoneyBee0

Hey Guys,

WDH, thanks for that information I just saw the message and will give it a look. Also, thanks for reaching out to your contact. I look forward to hearing from you.

I saw the farmer this afternoon and just got back. I asked where it was, how was it stored, etc. He said "See that building over there? Well, we built that just to hold the lumber." This was a huge pole barn and I was definitely skeptical. Figured the ole timer was just pulling my leg. Well, I ate my skepticism! That entire building had 4 stacks high and as far as you can see of lumber. He thinks he has around 50,000 board feet or so, probably more. I honestly have no idea why he has that much. I asked him and he said that about 5 years ago they cut off about 200 acres to make fields. Again, don't know if this is true, but it's what he said.

I saw the lumber. From my slight experience it definitely looks like D or better boards. I'm not a grader, but had an idea of what to expect going in and the boards met those expectations. Beautiful stuff for sure. The guy wants cents on the dollar for the lumber. He wanted $0.45 cents per board foot if I were to buy large amounts.

Here's my problem. I have several uses for this lumber around the house and future projects so I am going back and going to get 2 bundles for personal use. That still leaves A TON of lumber. I guess if I can figure what it's used for I might go back for a couple more and see if people want to buy it or something, but as it stands i'm happy with what I got.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!

WDH

That is less than the wholesale price of 2x4's.

Southside

That's basically just over the cost of having lumber sawn...def definitely a deal.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Solar_HoneyBee0

Hey Guys,

Just got in and saw the new messages. I hear ya. I know that the lumber is one hell of a good deal. Like I said I ended up with 2 bundles and have started to use them and they are fine! They have nice character (which I found out the other day these are technically D and better outs). That's okay though because I love it.

The problem i'm having is finding anyone that might be interested. I normally get hits online and by word of mouth with hardwoods, but this pine is just not that interesting to people I guess. I have reached out to lumber yards with no luck. I reached out to companies that use only pine lumber with no luck. I have reached out to cabinet makers with no luck.

Its definitely frustrating when you find a great deal and can't take advantage of it. I mean, as cheap as the lumber is, I just don't have the side cash to invest in the lumber and have it sit, you know?

If any of you guys have any ideas on companies or even "types of companies" etc door, flooring, etc that I might reach out to let me know. I definitely appreciate all of the information you all provide.

Have a good one everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!