iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Power Feed

Started by wesdor, November 25, 2018, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

I have a 5 year old LT15 that I have chosen to use in "push" mode. Age is beginning to catch up with me and sawing for several hours a day while pushing is getting tiresome. 

This question is aimed at a rather small population, but I wonder how well the power feed available from woodmizer works?  From what I have read it is rope fed. 

Any advice/ observations from owners who have the power feed?

Thanks in advance for your guidance. 

Southside

I believe @YellowHammer has posted about having a power feed when he had his LT15, also might try @WDH and @Lawg Dawg as I think they had 15's also.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lawg Dawg

I think that power feed is the rope fed type...which I never liked from the get go, I took the rope off mine and just pushed it.  I never up graded to the power feed, but it sure looks like a back saver for the pushers!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

YellowHammer

I had a rope feed, not autofeed, but had no problem with it.  It was back saver, and the key to using a manual mill is to orient the mill with a downward slant so the weight of the head will assist in the cutting.  It won't take much angle to really feel the Mother Nature Power Assist.  

The rope on the feed system had to have little hitch around the arbor like a windlass for it to grip.    

If you get a powerfeed, it will be like getting a second person, as the mill can be cutting while you can stack the last board.  Well worth it, speeds up production, reduces effort. @WDH had on on his mill, he loved it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Flintlock427

I have two  lt15s one  with the power feed option , and I like the power feed a lot to the point I don't use the one that's does not have the power feed option .

WDH

For me, the power feed was better than sliced bread.  It was a significant productivity improvement for me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

alanh

I have a 15 with the rope power feed, works great, I know when it needed a new motor and I pushed/pulled for a while I turned off the mill until the new parts came in...

wesdor

Thanks for the guidance. 

I've been out plowing snow all day - we had 13" last night and I help a lot of neighbors as well as my own place. But thankfully inside now and got to read your comments. 

Looks like a power feed will be a good addition to the mill.  I was mostly worried that it wouldn't work very well, but it seems that owners are happy with it. 

Thanks again. 

bags

You can save some money and install a power feed yourself. I put one on my HM130.

Pretty much the same parts as a Mizer except ya gotta paint it orange.

After I rounded up the parts--- it took me about one and a half hours to install

Thank You Sponsors!