iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what a drag

Started by woodmills1, July 29, 2002, 05:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

this ugly butt log was at the top of the pile of logs I just bought.  so big I had to winch it off the pile and drag and winch it up to the mill.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

yes it is big and ugly :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

I will have to cut the lump off with the chainsaw because it won't roll like that :o

Rick-Wi

Big Ugly log it is.. We get some of them too.. Is that a Oak?

Rick-Wi

woodman

I hop you didit pay for it.
Jim Cripanuk

Brian_Bailey

Big an ugly, but you shure get some pretty lumber out of them.  A jewel in the rough.  Brian...
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

woodmills1

here is a shot after some chainsaw and mill work.  this big lump o pine was ready to be whacked.  334 ft sawn, mostly 2x16, and it was only 7 foot long.

Tom

Those are the kinds of logs that make you appreciate the cantilever design of the Wood-Mizer.  It makes you feel a lot better when you make that second turn and the cant lays on its flat and actually fits the mill.  It always amazes me that my customers will present me with the biggest log they can find.  I try to tell them that pretty lumber comes out of those smaller 20" logs too. :D

I spent two days with a chainsaw and an axe trying to get an oak log to fit my mill one time. Had a helper too.  I thought it would be easier to do all the trimming with the log on the mill so I wouldn't have to try to roll a log that had flat sides.  I was right that time too.  I have a picture around here somewhere with us standing on the log with axes and the log on the mill.  It looks like one of those scenes from the movie Ants. That poor little mill.  

Show us some of the boards you got from your log. I'm interested in how you handled that limb butt.

woodmills1

here are some shots of the lumber that came from this lumpo pine.  the three boards represent the best this log had to offer while the two standing against the dump were among the worst.  the single shot is one from the face with the large limb.  not clear wood by any means but ok for table tops or forms.  the single shot board is 2"x20".  ok ok no grief for the wavyness the log had an electrical guy wire and I wasn't about to trash another blade so I just kept using the same one.

Thank You Sponsors!