iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cleaning rusty bandsaw blades

Started by dovetails, June 13, 2007, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovetails

When I got my mill, I got several bands with it, that are covered with surface rust.They look to be in good shape, just rusty. anyone have a good way to clean them up? Was thinking maybe wash them with muratic acid,then rince with water and oil them? Or would it be better to just put one on mill and cut a couple slabs off a junk log? it's an lt30 WM.
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Tom

surface rust like that is common to most of us.  The best tool to clean a blade is alog.  A few passes and it will be as bright and shiny as new.

dovetails

Thanks Tom, I'll try it tommorow!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Leatherneck

Will surface rust make the blade duller?

Haytrader

Chances are, a rusty blade is a used blade, so it may be dull and need sharpening.
Around here, new blades are kept in the shed and used blades sometimes get tossed to the side temporarilly and either get rained on or a dew or two.
;)
Haytrader

pineywoods

Quote from: Leatherneck on July 08, 2007, 11:04:45 PM
Will surface rust make the blade duller?

Rust itself won't dull the blade, BUT the first place a newly sharpend blade will rust is the sharp tip of the tooth. The first time that rusty tip hits a log, it will flake off and get dull real quick. New or freshly sharpend blades should be coated with a light coat of oil, WD-40 works pretty well. I mix a small amount of water soluble cutting oil in the cooling water on my shapener, it stops the blade from rusting and cuts down a bunch on rust on the sharpener.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Joel Eisner

I keep my blades from rusting by keeping two larger platic tote boxes around.  One is for the dull blades and the other is for the sharp ones.  I also use cooking spray to coat the blades at the end of the day.  This keeps the rust down. 
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Leatherneck

They are new blades stored outside but under cover, just light rust, guess I will spray some WD-40 on them to slow the rust till they are used.

Thank You Sponsors!